Music in Writing

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Re: Music in Writing

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

PRAXIDES wrote:It's my first time to read a book that is blended music. I did not find it fascinating at all. I kept on turning the pages for the next chapter without reading the musical notes.
Maybe because you're not a fan of Adele or you do not listen to her songs at all. Maybe if your favorite songs will be used and blended in a story, you will see the significance of the songs to the story.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

First time. I think it might be because it's pretty challenging to be mixing in two varied art forms.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
samuelmhambwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by samuelmhambwa »

the combination of music and writting is more better and the content in the song is well understood and the writting brings a briter understanding of the song
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I usually find the blend of music and writing distracting, especially when I'm not familiar with the song. If music is going to be incorporated, I usually prefer it to be kept succinct and at the opening or closing of the chapter the way some authors choose to feature a quotation. That way, it tells me what the author is thinking of or being inspired by without hindering the flow of the story. I've also seen some authors create a playlist of music that inspired them and include it at the end, sometimes with scene or chapter markers to show how the songs fit the story or characters.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

My Trip to Adele was the first book I read that had mixed both music and literature. I think it was nice and refreshing ,but if overdone can become really distracting to the story being told.
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Tamanna »

It's my first time reading something like this and I loved it. I'd definitely be open to reading more books like this.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ssinghal
Bookshelf Size: 1113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssinghal.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna

Post by Ssinghal »

It's quite a unique approach, and it's definitely the first time I've encountered such a mixture. though a bit irritating at times, the songs were all quite apt, and I enjoyed the way the book was written
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one...
-George RR Martin
Latest Review: "Call Me Pomeroy" by James Hanna
Marie Kala
Currently Reading: The Mirror Thief
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Marie Kala »

I think that good writing can be like good music-- a little addictive and gets stuck in your head. So, blending the two makes sense to me, but sometimes I think it can be a little distracting from the story. However, there are certainly stories that really pull of the rather interesting blend of music and writing.

Blues for Zoey, by Robert Paul Weston, is a ya that uses music in the plot.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

It's very difficult to blend music and writing well together for the obvious reasons that they're two completely different sensory experiences. Describing sounds without being cliche is hard enough, but when you have to actually describe music without sounding generic, that's when it gets hard. I think David Mitchell did it well in Cloud Atlas. The authors here did an all right job of it imo.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I remember reading a book called "Small Town Girl" by LaVyrle Spencer. It's about a country singer who struck it big, who returns to her hometown to care for her mother and encounters a former love interest who grew up to dashing and all that. The main character was a composer, so the lyrics were, I'm guessing, original. I enjoyed that one.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I think that there is some potential to create a really creative story intertwining the two works of art. In this case, it felt a bit forced, so I was not very impressed. Still, I think it is a unique idea, and I give the authors credit for trying it out.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I think blending music and writing is creative, however, I found myself skipping over the lyrics in the book.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”