Do you like reading books about places you've never been?

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Re: Do you like reading books about places you've never been

Post by Adair McClain »

I love reading about places I have never been, especially if the author has clearly put in the time to thoroughly research the place and bring it to life on paper. I always liked the Dark-Hunter novels for the settings of ancient Greece and Rome.
JaymieSuh
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by JaymieSuh »

My answer is also yes. It makes the book more interesting for me. I can imagine myself better in a place I've never been by just reading it. I think that's the best part with reading. You can travel anywhere without leaving where you are.
Mwenda R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwenda-r.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Mwenda R »

Amagine wrote:In My Trip to Adele, one of the things that I liked about the book was the different settings the story took place in and the description of them. The authors vividly described the scenery of Rome, Jordan and even Las Vegas. All of these are places I've never been before.

So what about you? Do you like reading books that describe places you've never seen or been before? Why? What kind of feeling does it evoke in you?

Bonus Question: What's your favorite book that depicts a place foreign to you?
I like reading about foreign lands but not really because of the architecture or the setting, but rather because of the little details about the culture of these lands. For example, the way Charlotte Bronte brings out the culture of Lowood in her novel 'Jane Eyre'. The mastery by which the carefully exposes the characters and their habits is second to none. She is my current read and I am really enjoying her writing.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Envision Tressy »

In my opinion, such a book will create an inner desire to visit that place. So it is a good thing to read about someplace you've never been to
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
cherryly
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cherryly »

Yes, i like reading about places that i have never been to, because it makes me know new places and can visit someday.
Ash and Stars
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-and-stars.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by Ash and Stars »

I like reading books about places I've never been, it makes me want to visit them!

However, a lot of the books I read are high fantasy, so this is not possible. If Idris from the Mortal Instruments series actually existed I would love to visit it.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I definately like books that describe places I have never been before. They invoke in me feelings of exploration, desire to visit and stay in these places.
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

Yes. That's exactly what i like reading.
MUPhoenix

Post by MUPhoenix »

Sure but only if the place and description is not such a complex one that keeps me dizzy while reading it
Caleb001
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Caleb001 »

I really love this
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I do depending on how the author portrays the place. For example, the Clockwork series by Cassandra Clare was placed in London, England. I have never been there but want to go so bad. However, I want to experience it and imagine it with the horse drawn carriages. It makes me feel like I'm living an adventure. You never know what will happen next
Eman Ali
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Eman Ali »

Yes i like reading books about places i have never been. It is very useful and intersecting.
Hannah47123
Currently Reading: Monsters of Men
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B071SF41Y9

Post by Hannah47123 »

Definitely! I think if the book is written well with lots of great detail then it is great to read and lets you understand the culture and experience how different the places are to the where you live. As well as this it can also make you feel like you are there and makes me want to go there!
sotosbusiness
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by sotosbusiness »

I love reading books about places I've never been.I like to learn about different cultures and places and if it's a really good book it can make you feel as if your actually there experiencing it.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Yes, I love reading about places that I've never been before. That's part of the reason I love books--they allow me to travel even when I can't travel in reality! I have always loved experiencing new places and cultures, and when books are set in new places, I usually develop a desire to go there.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”