Translation

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Mszymonik
Favorite Author: Gamel Abdullah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mszymonik.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 224589

Re: Translation

Post by Mszymonik »

I only found five errors in translation in the whole book. I thought it was beautifully translated. Lots of adjectives I have never used were used (and I'm a writer myself). I truly was impressed by the translation and the flow was 90% on target in my opinion.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This reminds me that different cultures may use the same word but with different meanings depending on the culture. This is also true with body languages. There is no such thing as universal meaning of a book written and translated into many languages.

-- 08 Jul 2017, 11:34 --
elbchaymae wrote:i do prefer the origin version because there's a specific tenses of descriptions in any language wich couldn't have a 100% equivalent meaning if translated . so i like to keep it original
If it was kept original then we were not given the chance to read about this beautiful piece but I agree that with the translations, it made the message of the story challenging to understand.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read many translations. Some were better and other were worse. That's why I prefer to read the original when it is possible.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01

Mszymonik wrote:I only found five errors in translation in the whole book. I thought it was beautifully translated. Lots of adjectives I have never used were used (and I'm a writer myself). I truly was impressed by the translation and the flow was 90% on target in my opinion.
I am happy to know about this. At least the effort of the writers and the translator were not put in vain considering that their aim in translating their book is to reach more audience.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Mszymonik wrote:I only found five errors in translation in the whole book. I thought it was beautifully translated. Lots of adjectives I have never used were used (and I'm a writer myself). I truly was impressed by the translation and the flow was 90% on target in my opinion.
I am happy to know about this. At least the effort of the writers and the translator were not put in vain considering that their aim in translating their book is to reach more audience.
I found a few typos, some missing words, and some awkwardly worded sentences.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01

Jaime Lync wrote:I didn't mind the translation that much. I read light novels being translated from Korean to English and those are super bad. This translation was golden compared to the light novels I read.
The translation may not have attained the thoughts of the guards a hundred percent but the story brought pieces of advice and reminders to me.
gali

Post by gali »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Jaime Lync wrote:I didn't mind the translation that much. I read light novels being translated from Korean to English and those are super bad. This translation was golden compared to the light novels I read.
The translation may not have attained the thoughts of the guards a hundred percent but the story brought pieces of advice and reminders to me.
If it isn't that well translated, one can miss the fine points of the tale, though.
A retired Admin/Mod

Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

This translation was very well done compared to others I've read. I would have to agree that the drama fell flat in places. There's always something lost in translation, no matter how good it is. I would read books in the original language if I had the linguistic skills.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Hmm, I feel really out of the loop here. I must have missed the note that said the novel was originally in Arabic, because I spent the entire time thinking the novel was written by a non-native speaker. I attributed some of the monotone style and awkward wording to that, but now that I know it was a translation I'm starting to see it in a different light.
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

As a translator myself, I think that it is very important for the translator to be native in the language they translate into and nearly native or completely bilingual in the language they translate from. Literary translation is a very complicated art as you need to be able to translate the feel and message in a story and not just the content. The translator must also really enjoy the genre they translate and understand the author on a level much deeper than that of a reader. I mainly translate fantasy as I have a true love for the genre and find it much easier to get the original message across. :)
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I didn't find anything wrong with the translation. Whoever did it, did a great job in my opinion.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

The translation is good, I think for a translated book. But if only I could read Arabic, I would've enjoyed reading it. But it was a great story.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

A translation, even if done well, can't avoid the sense of loss for some things that are part of the original language.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

I didnt mind the translation. I liked that i was reading a book about the Arabic culture with the English language
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I laud translators. Without them, I would not be able to read great books like "Les Miserables" or watch wonderful movies like "Life is Beautiful." Nothing beats the original but for us non-linguists, a translation will have to suffice.

For "My Trip to Adele," I enjoyed the read immensely. In the original Arabic version, did the authors translate Adele's songs? I wonder.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”