Nadia, A Survivor

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Nadia, A Survivor

Post by Ayosinmi »

The character of Nadia depicts what I see around me every day. Women fighting to survive abuse and their abusers.
Women are subdued everywhere, home and at work. Most especially in developing countries.
In what ways did the Nadia challenge you as a person?
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I thought Nadia's character was strong because she dared to break with culture and tradition to fight for her freedom and rights. She decided she was not going to tolerate abuse, not even for the sake of her son. I agree with you in that women suffer a lot of abuse, particularly in developing countries. Nadia showed me that women in those countries can fight for themselves and break free. Might take time, but it can happen. At the end of the book she had limited liberty but it was the start of something. In my mind she is an example of hope for women in abusive relationships.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Very true. I appreciate your contribution. Thanks
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Nadia didn't really challenge me as a person but she made me more aware of the dilemmas women from around the world have to face. So I suppose she made more sympathetic.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Hmm! That awareness is important in the scheme of things. It gives you the ability to empathize with those who find themselves in such web and who are in the process of liberation.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Yolimari wrote:I thought Nadia's character was strong because she dared to break with culture and tradition to fight for her freedom and rights. She decided she was not going to tolerate abuse, not even for the sake of her son. I agree with you in that women suffer a lot of abuse, particularly in developing countries. Nadia showed me that women in those countries can fight for themselves and break free. Might take time, but it can happen. At the end of the book she had limited liberty but it was the start of something. In my mind she is an example of hope for women in abusive relationships.
Well said and I agree. I hope more will follow her steps and dare to fight for their rights.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

gali wrote:
Well said and I agree. I hope more will follow her steps and dare to fight for their rights.
I hope so too.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Nadia serves as an epitome of hope, courage, and strength. Nadia is not an extraordinary woman. She is just another woman who is suffering from physical and psychological cruelties but she decided to stand firm. Other just give up because they decided to loosen their grip.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Nadia is a fighter not only for herself but most specially for her son. She is a good model for mothers, mothers should love their kids unconditionally and should know how to fight for them.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Nadia serves as an epitome of hope, courage, and strength. Nadia is not an extraordinary woman. She is just another woman who is suffering from physical and psychological cruelties but she decided to stand firm. Other just give up because they decided to loosen their grip.
I agree with you. It's easier to just give up in reality though.
She took the rough path but glorious at the end.
Yes she's just like every other woman out there. ?

-- 09 Jul 2017, 04:04 --
Moniquejm wrote:Nadia is a fighter not only for herself but most specially for her son. She is a good model for mothers, mothers should love their kids unconditionally and should know how to fight for them.
Some people think she messed up by trying to leave without her son, but I see her as a very real woman who is bent on not allowing her ex to defeat her.
If she had gone without her son, it wouldn't depict that she loved him the less, it would just show that she's able to separate her life and existence from that of her son. I think making children our sole purpose of existence is a big burden to put on a their shoulders.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
gali

Post by gali »

Now that I know her story is based on a real case (the author said as much), I admire her even more. Sure, she didn't always act smartly, but we all make mistakes so shouldn't judge.

Ayosinmi, you are right. If she had gone without her son, it wouldn't mean that she loved him the less. Still, I think she made the right decision by staying.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

gali wrote:Now that I know her story is based on a real case (the author said as much), I admire her even more. Sure, she didn't always act smartly, but we all make mistakes so shouldn't judge.

Ayosinmi, you are right. If she had gone without her son, it wouldn't mean that she loved him the less. Still, I think she made the right decision by staying.
I actually like the fact that she didn't go too. I think it's a worthy sacrifice.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
gali

Post by gali »

Ayosinmi wrote:
gali wrote:Now that I know her story is based on a real case (the author said as much), I admire her even more. Sure, she didn't always act smartly, but we all make mistakes so shouldn't judge.

I actually like the fact that she didn't go too. I think it's a worthy sacrifice.
Indeed it was. I think she should have told her son the truth about it and about his dad, though.
A retired Admin/Mod

Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Amagine wrote:Nadia didn't really challenge me as a person but she made me more aware of the dilemmas women from around the world have to face. So I suppose she made more sympathetic.
That's nice. Nadia as a character still played an important role in the story as well as to the readers. She is a reminder of the basic things about sacrifice that we often forget.
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
Amagine wrote:Nadia didn't really challenge me as a person but she made me more aware of the dilemmas women from around the world have to face. So I suppose she made more sympathetic.
That's nice. Nadia as a character still played an important role in the story as well as to the readers. She is a reminder of the basic things about sacrifice that we often forget.
Right. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Voltaire, 1694-1778

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”