Child prostitution: a reality in Third World

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
ValEtt
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valett.html
Latest Review: "Murders in Progress" by Eldon Cene

Re: Child prostitution: a reality in Third World

Post by ValEtt »

I think one thing everyone can do to help end this horrible reality is stop thinking of it as something 'other' or far away from them. Sex trafficking happens in America and other countries that consider themselves global powers, as well as in emerging countries. According to the National Human Trafficking Hotline, there have been over 22,000 reported cases of sex trafficking in the U.S. since 2007. These aren't all children, but a fair percentage are as the people who are targeted are often young teen runaways. Did you know the highest incidences of human trafficking in America happen at the Super Bowl? It's become an industry just like everything else. Furthermore, the U.S. fuels the sex trafficking industry in other countries, which cater largely to American tourists.

None of this is to condemn America or say that there aren't other places where child prostitution is worse (there are certainly plenty of countries where economic and cultural conditions make this crime way more common), but just that it's worth knowing and discussing; it's easier for a lot of people to care and take action when they realize something isn't just happening thousands of miles away, but also in their own neighborhood.

It's tough not to get jaded about this stuff, but I like to think there are ways we can help. Volunteering, donating time or money, supporting legislature that will help victims, or even just talking about the issue with others does something to make a change. There are so many cool projects you can be a part, like shopping ethically. There's a clothing brand (I won't mention it since I'm not sure if there's a forum rule against linking to companies) of garments made entirely by women from Nepal who were rescued from sex trafficking, and there are many other charities that have online stores. There's even a website where you can learn vocabulary words or another language, and every question you answer correctly gives 10 grains of rice to someone in an emerging country who needs it--aiding with that hunger problem someone mentioned earlier.

All of this goes to say that I think with enough people caring and putting their heads together, this is a problem that can one day be eliminated. :)
Latest Review: "Murders in Progress" by Eldon Cene
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

Sadly, child prostitution is worse here in Africa. I would have suggested that children should be informed to report any attempt by anyone forcing them to give sell their bodies. But how do you know which of the children are vulnerable? I really don't know what else could be done than to hope that organisations in support of children's rights will be able to address this appropriately.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

This was one of the things in the books that made me so angry. There is no way to mistake a 12 year old child for a grown woman. How does Elias just not happen to notice that he is "in love" with a little girl? Even though he never had sex with her, he was still sexually attracted to her and he wanted to, which still makes him a pedophile. Trying to pretend like this was still a romantic relationship that could be rekindled is sick and gave me serious reservations about the rest of the book. I was really glad that they didn't end up together.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

That is so sad that her parents sold her into prostitution, I couldn't imagine that as a parent. It's definitely something that we need to be viligent about as a society.
Nishit Kumar
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nishit-kumar.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Nishit Kumar »

This is a reality worldwide. We need strict action, and proper vigilance to prevent this....
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

The authorities have been found to benefit from this as well. Sometimes, they are paid directly, sometimes they are given a girl child for entertainment. It's a vicious cycle and only when the relevant world authorities wake up to their responsibility would we have some respite from the problem. Thanks for stopping by here. Cheers

-- 14 Aug 2017, 00:38 --
ValEtt wrote:I think one thing everyone can do to help end this horrible reality is stop thinking of it as something 'other' or far away from them. Sex trafficking happens in America and other countries that consider themselves global powers, as well as in emerging countries. According to the National Human Trafficking Hotline, there have been over 22,000 reported cases of sex trafficking in the U.S. since 2007. These aren't all children, but a fair percentage are as the people who are targeted are often young teen runaways. Did you know the highest incidences of human trafficking in America happen at the Super Bowl? It's become an industry just like everything else. Furthermore, the U.S. fuels the sex trafficking industry in other countries, which cater largely to American tourists.

None of this is to condemn America or say that there aren't other places where child prostitution is worse (there are certainly plenty of countries where economic and cultural conditions make this crime way more common), but just that it's worth knowing and discussing; it's easier for a lot of people to care and take action when they realize something isn't just happening thousands of miles away, but also in their own neighborhood.

It's tough not to get jaded about this stuff, but I like to think there are ways we can help. Volunteering, donating time or money, supporting legislature that will help victims, or even just talking about the issue with others does something to make a change. There are so many cool projects you can be a part, like shopping ethically. There's a clothing brand (I won't mention it since I'm not sure if there's a forum rule against linking to companies) of garments made entirely by women from Nepal who were rescued from sex trafficking, and there are many other charities that have online stores. There's even a website where you can learn vocabulary words or another language, and every question you answer correctly gives 10 grains of rice to someone in an emerging country who needs it--aiding with that hunger problem someone mentioned earlier.

All of this goes to say that I think with enough people caring and putting their heads together, this is a problem that can one day be eliminated. :)
Thank you so much for your comprehensive response. You are right on point. In fact, you have made very salient points which I hope people will take note of. Please send me the links via my inbox so that in my little way, I can be a part of the project. Thanks a lot. Well done

-- 14 Aug 2017, 00:43 --
Atabon Della wrote:Sadly, child prostitution is worse here in Africa. I would have suggested that children should be informed to report any attempt by anyone forcing them to give sell their bodies. But how do you know which of the children are vulnerable? I really don't know what else could be done than to hope that organisations in support of children's rights will be able to address this appropriately.
You are right about that. Africa also has communication problems. Their should be an easy channel through which the children can make reports. We should also remember that these people indulging in this act are mostly influential. It's still going to be a task by the multinational organizations in charge of these things in conjunction with many other stakeholders

-- 14 Aug 2017, 00:48 --
jhollan2 wrote:This was one of the things in the books that made me so angry. There is no way to mistake a 12 year old child for a grown woman. How does Elias just not happen to notice that he is "in love" with a little girl? Even though he never had sex with her, he was still sexually attracted to her and he wanted to, which still makes him a pedophile. Trying to pretend like this was still a romantic relationship that could be rekindled is sick and gave me serious reservations about the rest of the book. I was really glad that they didn't end up together.
Succinctly put dear. How could he not know? Even though in some cases, these girls look mature for their ages. For a girl who has been with so many people sexually, she wouldn't look 12 anymore. I'm sure Elias was least expecting that as well, he would not expect that a 12 year old girl would be thrusted at him just like that. Thanks for your comment and I'm glad they didn't end up together as well

-- 14 Aug 2017, 00:51 --
Acwoolet wrote:That is so sad that her parents sold her into prostitution, I couldn't imagine that as a parent. It's definitely something that we need to be viligent about as a society.
Yes, it's quite sad. People sell their own bodies, their children's bodies and other people's children... It calls for vigilance truly. Some people just have children, but I don't consider them parents. It's sad indeed
Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your time

-- 14 Aug 2017, 00:53 --
Nishit Kumar wrote:This is a reality worldwide. We need strict action, and proper vigilance to prevent this....
Right Kumar. We need vigilance and multiple approach to tackle the problem. We need help. Thanks for your comment and your time. I appreciate it

-- 14 Aug 2017, 00:56 --
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:The community does not report such cases because the community considers it a norm or a need. The members of the community try to cover each other.
You are right. In that case, an educational outreach program would benefit these people. I wish the world authorities wake up to their role in this.

-- 14 Aug 2017, 01:05 --
kandscreeley wrote:It's really such a sad situation. Stories like this or ones of human trafficking make my stomach churn. I just don't understand either those that do this or those that use these services. Something definitely needs to be done, but it is almost impossible as long as people continue to USE them. :(
You are right. The demand fuels it but dont they arrest both drug pushers and users? Until we start to see it as worse than substance abuse, we may still be in this situation for a while to come . Thanks a lot for your comment

-- 14 Aug 2017, 01:09 --
Ssinghal wrote:Child prostitution is a worldwide reality. I believe the most important thing to solve this is poverty alleviation programmes and employment providing schemes. If there is no poverty, then there will be no need for parents to give away their children in prostitution.
It's sad. Poverty is a reality. Mind you though, poverty can't be totally eradicated. People can be changed though, through adequate education and programs. There are many ways to survive but using your child to survive is downright mean. No two ways about it.
I appreciate your time and input. Thank you very much

-- 14 Aug 2017, 01:13 --
indubitabubbly wrote:This is a reality everywhere. It is so difficult to see/read/hear about these situations and feel helpless as to a solution.
Sadly it is a worldwide reality. One thing that can be done is not to be a part of it. Also to educate these people when there is a contact with them. Mother and daughter inclusive.
Thanks for your comment and your time.

-- 14 Aug 2017, 01:18 --
Jeyran Main wrote:Nothing can be done until the organizations and people with money and strength can do something about it.
Right the first time. These are the people who need to wake up from their slumber. Thanks for stopping by and for your input

-- 14 Aug 2017, 01:23 --
DarleneCabrera wrote:Sadly this is happening all over the world.
You are right Darlene. While we can do nothing about it, we could still pray for them. It's something
Thanks a lot for your comment

-- 14 Aug 2017, 01:26 --
hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:I was shocked to read that her own parents gave her in prostitution. Their own daughter, and only a kid for that! Nothing excuses that, in my book. Malika was just a kid, so she didn't realize she was exploited and believed her parents that it is more dignified than her father's job. :roll:

I agree something should be done, but I am not sure what. :eusa-think:
Well said, gali! It was so sad to hear that Malika thought her job was more dignified than her father's. Wasn't he a dancer?

Child prostitution is one of the saddest realities. I also agree that something should be done, but I also don't know what... :(
? you are right. She was naive and abused but she left at the slightest opportunity she got, I'm sure she didn't just want to leave the house and the town but also her parents. Thanks for your comment
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Hay Why
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Hay Why »

We can not just ford our hands and leave all this calamity to the hands of the government to tackle them. I want say that the solution should be look into at the family level; this is the least component of a society.
In any capacity to have a family, the goal must be to nuture and protect the seed (children; both sexes) to become a blessing to the entire universe.

Regards
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Exactly Hay Why... We definitely should start from the beginning, the base and the foundation, the family. It's the job of the family to protect its members but the reverse is what we see these days. May the good Lord have mercy on us all. Thanks for your comment.

-- 14 Aug 2017, 08:39 --
Voltaire, 1694-1778
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

This is a global problem and we shouldn't stop fighting it.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Yeosin Mary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Yeosin Mary »

Child prostitution is child abuse.
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

akeseh wrote:This is a global problem and we shouldn't stop fighting it.
You are right Akeseh, we shouldn't stop fighting it but the question that comes to mind is have we started the fight? It doesn't look like we have started to me, but then, I may be wrong. Thanks for your comment. Cheers

-- 14 Aug 2017, 20:26 --
Yeosin Mary wrote:Child prostitution is child abuse.
Very true Mary. Child prostitution is Child Abuse. There's no other way to see it. It's just so saddening that the families and caregivers who are supposed to protect these children are the same ones violating them.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
EWanyoike
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Digital Fortress</a>
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewanyoike.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by EWanyoike »

Its easy to realize it negativity when its not commonplace and one is not in their situations. in the book we even find her father engaging in a very feminine dance to earn a living at a cost to his 'perceived' masculinity by his peers. In such places underage prostitution is widespread and commonplace that its no big deal. To them its just another source of income, a way to earn a living and contribute to the home. to others there is no choice as its either that or hunger. When its an individual's choice it one thing but its whole other issue when its operated by cartel. Underage prostitution has many mechanisms within in and they should be understood before one makes a hasty judgment to them running or taking part in it.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

I understand the complexities of the situation. I also understand the fact that when something is common place, people tend to view it as normal or right, but our perception of the issue does not change the rightness or wrong nature of the act. It starts from everyone seeing it and recognizing it for what it is, then move on from there. Thanks for your comment
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Eric77 »

Its not just in third world countries. It exists all over the world today and it is pretty bad and sad
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Very true Eric, I first thought it was only in third world but after I posted this and got the responses, I realised that it's a global menace. One that requires immediate action
Voltaire, 1694-1778

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”