Social media Fallacies

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Re: Social media Fallacies

Post by Harrygx3 »

As a poster already said, its natural as human beings to want to show our best selves. However, the line between a healthy 'show-off' and seeking constant approval from others to feel alive is very easy to be crossed. Technology should be an extension of ourselves and not a mask or something that replaces us. Social medias are an ingenius tool but just like all things it needs to be used wisely.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I definitely think that everyone create their own desired reality through social media.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

It's easier for people to control their virtual lives than their real ones. Reality bites, but social media is like an ego petting session where everyone is beautiful and successful.
Malfoyy Slitherin
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malfoyy-slitherin.html
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter

Post by Malfoyy Slitherin »

The idea that you can find love on social media is a fallacy..well except you are really lucky. They whole system is comprised of a bunch of fakes and wannabes. Now thats an honest opinion.
Latest Review: "A Caribbean Tragedy" by Roger Stutter
duatibashir
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92041">Can I Be Frank?</a>
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by duatibashir »

The Social Media has become a platform for show off,an avenue of blowing one's trumpets and a competition ground where the most polished,most successful,most beautiful with the latest fashion and make-up is declared the winner!
The poor and and the ugly have no seat in the Social Media and if they appear ,it is only for ridicule!!
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Yes, I think that is true - a lot of people seem to think that what they see on social media is all that there is & in turn others like to paint a picture for others.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think Miriam used Facebook in a way that many people to do...... to share the good parts of life AND/OR to make life look good.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I think most people post their best photos and activities on social media. I don't think everyone is trying to create an impression of something they are not, I just think we want to share our good times and successes more than we want to share negative things.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This shows the paradox of technology. It makes life better (i.e., we communicate more), but in so doing, makes it worse (i.e., we interact less). Where to find the balance?
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I often see Facebook friends posting pictures of their babies on their profiles. It kinda makes me sad because the babies don't have a voice and can't tell their parents "Don't post my photo there!". Plus you never know what evil stalks the online places and what nefarious purposes they'll steal the publicly posted photos to use for.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Apart from the closest circle of family and friends, people do not generally trumpet their failures even in the absence of social media. It is the same tendency that is at play here. I don't think there is anything special about the medium in this situation.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

The majority of people I know tend to just display the 'perfect' aspects of their lives on social media. There are a few, however, that forget that there is such a large population viewing their posts and use social media as a place to vent about their personal issues. I have to admit I sometimes look at people's posts and think they have a great life but, when talking to them in person, I soon learn this is not always so. I think that is one of the reasons social media is so popular, people only show the sides of their lives that they are proud to show and therefore can have a degree of control about the way other people think about them.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:I agree with the poster above. They were aware of the reality, but they wanted to impress others with their "happy life". Sadly, some people become so absorbed in the virtual life, they forget to live.
Yes, I also agree.

Some people also tend to use social media a place to show just the best part of their lives, because who wants to see or read something sad? Unfortunately, like you said gali, people sometimes forget to live due to this or they tend to not attempt to solve problems because they are become engrossed in making their lives seem perfect.
Well, you may be right that if we're so absorbed in the virtual life, we may forget about how to live in this "flesh-and-blood" kind of life. But I cannot say that this "flesh-and-blood" kind of life is more real than the virtual one, especially if we look at OBR, which is actually a "virtual way of interaction and living." The virtual life is as real as the physical one. Some of us depend on the virtual life for our income.
-rk
EWinters
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewinters.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by EWinters »

This has been researched by social psychologists, and yes, people typically do post only happy moments.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

EWinters wrote:This has been researched by social psychologists, and yes, people typically do post only happy moments.
Interesting. I'm curious to what were the conducted researches on this topic.
-rk

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”