Wedding Traditions

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
seun doris
Currently Reading: The sunset at Tropex
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seun-doris.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Wedding Traditions

Post by seun doris »

i love wedding traditions , it reminds you of your culture
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Apart from the practice of paying dowry, we have what is called a Palm wine carrying ceremony. In fact, it is the actual marriage. The woman is given a small Calabash cup of palm wine by a male elder in her village. She takes it to the man she is to marry. He drinks from it and gives the rest to her to drink. Once this is done, they've gotten married. Of course, thanks to modernisation, we now have Christian, Islamic and court marriages.
Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Eric77 »

Where I come from you pay the dowry, which is a whole list of small yet very significant things to the bride's family. By family, I mean an extension to grand parents, uncles, aunts, siblings, and parents. After fulfilling this, you celebrate the traditional wedding. It is in a way more important than the civil and church weddings.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Well, there's the dowry, and then a number of women are covered from head to toe and made to stand in a line, then the soon-to-be husband is made to pick his fiancee from the line of women. I am not really sure what happens if he picks the wrong woman, haha.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

For the bride to use something old, something new, something borrow and something blue. I think it's sweet.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

In our tradition, the guest spray money over the couple as they dance. Both the guests and the couple eagerly awaits this moment. This couple normally sees this as a means of recovering some of what was spent for the wedding. For the guests, it's just a show off of wealth and status
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

In our Hindu (subcaste: Baniya) tradition their is a ritual in which parents are to give their daughter to the groom. It is called Kaniya Daan i.e., Donating the daughter. I hate this thing. How can one donate their daughter as if she is some kind of an object. Also in the ritual, parents have to wash their daughters feet.
I had stopped my parents from touching my feet, let alone wash....but even thinking of it today makes me angry.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I think wedding traditions of different cultures are interesting too. I always liked reading slave narratives because they had interesting wedding traditions. Plantation owners had slave couples jump over a broom to marry each other, which is kind of cute and some African American couples still use brooms at their weddings to honor their ancestors. Jewish Orthodox weddings are pretty fun too; they carry the bride and groom on chairs and it's pretty raucous and fun. There's a lot of great cultural traditions at weddings.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

I agree that sounds bizarre. I have seen it happen only during state burials. Our country has different cultures spread across cities. I don't think I have encountered any bizarre happening.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

In the US, we have a lot of wedding cultures, but the one that comes to mind is when the bride throws her bouquet of flowers into a sea of single female guests while facing the other way. The woman who catches the bouquet is thought to be the next to get married.
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
biscuits
Favorite Book: Life is an open secret
Currently Reading: How to win and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biscuits.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by biscuits »

hsimone wrote: 12 Jul 2017, 09:48 When reading Nadia's perspective, we learn that a wedding tradition/custom in Jordan is for the men to gather in the groom's tent and use guns to shoot celebratory shots in the air.

Hearing this was kind of bizarre to me because it seems dangerous, especially for a child to be present.

What wedding traditions does your culture practice?
What wedding traditions have you heard of that have stuck in your head - whether shocking or sweet?
I didn't know about 'the guns' tradition but why would people actually have these kind of traditions? More so, in the presence of children. Aren't they even scared that they could even shoot the groom or the bride? :lol:
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Different people have different wedding traditions basing on their cultures and traditions. Am not so much conversant with all our wedding traditions. I know of the one that if you are staying with a step-mother and you are planning to wed, you have to go a day prior to your wedding to your biological mother so that she can give you the first blessings and a gift. Thereafter, your step-mother can walk you down the aisle on your wedding day.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I probably won't follow a lot of traditions when it comes time for me to get married. My parents got married in my grandparents living room. My mom didn't even wear a white dress.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I have never felt particularly attached to any wedding traditions in the United States, but I enjoy learning more about those of other cultures.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

When reading about the wedding tradition in Jordan I was shocked but also intrigued. It's really fascinating to learn about other cultures.

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”