Music in Your Life

Discuss the July 2017 Book of the Month, My Trip to Adele by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer.

View My Trip to Adele on Bookshelves

View My Trip to Adele on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Music in Your Life

Post by Heidi M Simone »

At the end of every chapter, the authors weave in Adele's songs into each character's lives.

How much does music play a role in your life? Do you play an instrument? Sing? Do you still own CDs (lol)?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I majored in Music at University and played violin professionally for many years. Music has always been a big part of my life and remains one of the few constants, despite the ups and downs that life tends to throw. Right now, I've been listening to Michael Kiwanuka. Anybody know of him? He's so good.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

Music is a massive part of my life - I work from home and music is always playing in the background. My husband is a writer and can only write while his headphones are pumping music! We used to do long road trips and as soon as the tiredness set in the music was played a lot louder and we would both sing at the top of our voices. Some nights would be music nights at home and one would play a song we both loved from a memory some where and then the next would top it with another and so on and so forth. Many hours of memories and terrible dancing and singing!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Music really isn't a massive part of my life. I listen to songs now and then, but that's all.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lennycat wrote:I majored in Music at University and played violin professionally for many years. Music has always been a big part of my life and remains one of the few constants, despite the ups and downs that life tends to throw. Right now, I've been listening to Michael Kiwanuka. Anybody know of him? He's so good.
Wow, played the violin professionally? That's amazing! I play amateur flute, and I was in the choir at my high school, college, church, and even a women's group for a while. I don't think I know Michael Kiwanuka. Maybe I'll have to check him out!

-- 13 Jul 2017, 21:15 --
Jax14 wrote:Music is a massive part of my life - I work from home and music is always playing in the background. My husband is a writer and can only write while his headphones are pumping music! We used to do long road trips and as soon as the tiredness set in the music was played a lot louder and we would both sing at the top of our voices. Some nights would be music nights at home and one would play a song we both loved from a memory some where and then the next would top it with another and so on and so forth. Many hours of memories and terrible dancing and singing!
I hear you about having music always playing in the background! Us too! We haven't done reliving memories with songs, but that sounds like an awesome idea!

We actually did a dance routine for our wedding, so we had "dance rehearsals" for a few weeks leading up to our wedding! So much fun!! :dance:

-- 13 Jul 2017, 21:16 --
gali wrote:Music really isn't a massive part of my life. I listen to songs now and then, but that's all.
It is nice to have some quiet in the house, too. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Harrygx3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrygx3.html
Latest Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by Harrygx3 »

I listen to music everyday, for me it's a must to get me in the mood to do anything. I still own CDs and i buy if i have the chance. It feels nice having CDs, i feel more close to the artist like that. I don't own or play an instrument because i don't feel like expressing myself through it.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I have always been interested in certain instruments, and would love to finally learn them one day.

As for music, it's intrinsic to my life. It's something that is always there, whether I'm actively listening to something, have something stuck in my head, or am just whistling some random tune (sometimes without even realizing it).

And yes, I still have CDs. I am not a fan of not "owning" what I own. Same reason I'm not the biggest fan of ebooks. Even if I transfered my entire music collection over, I would still keep my CD collection, as well as expand it.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Harrygx3 wrote:I listen to music everyday, for me it's a must to get me in the mood to do anything. I still own CDs and i buy if i have the chance. It feels nice having CDs, i feel more close to the artist like that. I don't own or play an instrument because i don't feel like expressing myself through it.
I love listening to music everyday! It's definitely a motivator for me, too. I used to have a CD collection, but then my CD player broke and for some reason, I never used my laptop to listen to the music. I just go to youtube and have it playing in the background. I'm not actually sure what I did with my collection since we moved a couple of times the past few years... :eusa-think:

-- 14 Jul 2017, 12:12 --
Gravy wrote:I have always been interested in certain instruments, and would love to finally learn them one day.

As for music, it's intrinsic to my life. It's something that is always there, whether I'm actively listening to something, have something stuck in my head, or am just whistling some random tune (sometimes without even realizing it).

And yes, I still have CDs. I am not a fan of not "owning" what I own. Same reason I'm not the biggest fan of ebooks. Even if I transfered my entire music collection over, I would still keep my CD collection, as well as expand it.
Maybe you will! I have always wanted to learn to play the piano. I can read music and know where the appropriate keys are, but I have a tough time motivating myself to sit down weekly and just practice.

I can understand wanting to own what you own. I used to be like that. However, when we moved, it became a nuisance to pack everything. All my books I kept because my dream is to have a small library room when we settle in a house, but the CDs? I'm not sure...I wasn't as concerned. I remember donating a bunch of them, but I think I have others packed away somewhere.
Heidi

SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I don't listen to music every day but I sing every day. I'm not good at it but singing really relaxes me. And when I do listen to music, usually it's on my car radio
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I love music and listen to it any time I can. Sometimes I put on music even when I'm working or doing some boring chores. Music is a big part of my life. Back in the day I learned to play the guitar, but after all the years I've sadly forgotten how to...
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

Music plays such a huge and important role in my life since I listen to it everyday without fail. Melodies drifting into my ears helps relieve some of my stress, especially when I sing along with the lyrics.

I own a piano and a guitar. I seldom play them now. I’m too busy with my University studies.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Music is an indispensable component of my life. Actually I began singing in high school choir during my high school days. Upto now am a great lover of music. Music suspends any stress in my life.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Music is my muse. I play something on repeat if it inspires me until I finish my piece. I do own cds but don't use them much anymore.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Shantelle35
Favorite Author: Lysa TerKeurst
Currently Reading: Rejoice
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shantelle35.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
fav_author_id: 7203

Post by Shantelle35 »

Music has played a huge role in my life, especially in adulthood. I love listening to country music, alternative, and classical. I play the guitar and piano as well! :P
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Music is not a huge part of my life. As a teenager, music was very important and I listened to it every chance I got. Now that I am a mom of three, I barely have time to shower let alone listen to music. I wish it was a bigger part of my life.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick

Return to “Discuss "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer and R.I.Alyaseer”