Crime and Punishment

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Re: Crime and Punishment

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Spirit Wandering wrote:As frightening as the thought of prison might be, I think committing suicide would be worse. I only read the sample of this book but it included the scene where Max's father crashes the helicopter. I was somehow left with the impression that he was doing it to spare Max from further embarrassment but maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly?
You are correct. Apart from saving his ass and his wife's, he wanted Max to have a more peaceful life under the care of his uncle Alex.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

A criminal may be able to evade the law of the world, but God's justice will eventually prevail.

But while God is just, He is merciful too. Didn't He forgive the repentant thief crucified with Him? And also the woman caught committing adultery?

No crime, even suicide, is too great for His mercy. So for us great sinners and criminals, there is hope.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I would rather die than have my freedom taken away. Plus, the leaders of societies have determined what is the crime, but it doesn't represent everybody's view on things.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Athena Moon wrote:I would rather die than have my freedom taken away. Plus, the leaders of societies have determined what is the crime, but it doesn't represent everybody's view on things.
Yeah. Deprivation of freedom is almost the same with being dead. There are people who choose to die than to be imprisoned for a life time.
cosy101
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cosy101 »

Why should I kill some one in the face place? Max's father crashed the helicopter for the interest of his son. That was really bad!
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I haven't experienced making such a big crime that i would think of taking my own life to run away from it. I committed minor ones and i see to it that i say sorry, face it and prepare for the consequences of what I've done. It's my principle.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

If I were to commit a crime on my own, I'd face my punishment; however, if I were involved with any kind of mob, mafia, triad or any such group, I'd probably take my own life because the punishment I would receive from them would definitely be worse than death.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

The easiest part is always running away, the harder would have been to face the consequences, but how dire the situation usually depends on the individuals facing it. I don't know if maybe he thought more good would have came from him givjng his life up than him staying..
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

That depends. I would fess up to my crimes, no matter how bad they were. However, if I can get away with it without killing myself, then I would. After all, the crime would still affect you; it doesn't matter where you go or how you feel. Life is funny like that; we can't avoid the mistakes we make, however insignificant they may seem at the time. It's also the reason why crimes are more horrific when we're adults than when we're children.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Ren B wrote:I can't imagine being able to do what Max's dad did. Not just taking the "easy way out," but the manner in which he did it. Yikes!
I like that "easy way out" was placed in quotes. I definitely don't think suicide is the easy way out - what is so easy about death?? Anyways, there is a lot I value in life and death means the end of everything as I know it...Accumulated knowledge and memories all go the body decays and a lot of other things like being able to interact with your loved ones even it's just through a phone call or visitations... so I don't think I'd commit suicide.. I'll face the consequences cause I probably knew if things went down hill they'd be there.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

We all will have to face the consequences of our choices some day, but just to be real, I think most of us (including me) will do what Max did.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar »

This is much easier said than done, but I'll face the consequences of what I've done. Otherwise, there is an option of fleeing the country and starting a new life. Suicide is definitely not an option...
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I had been thinking about this question for a few days, then yesterday our community experienced exactly such a situation. Wife disappeared over a week ago. Changed from missing person to murder investigation yesterday (but no body found yet). Police go to the property to investigate and interview husband (now a primary suspect). While the police are there, looking around, he shoots himself, fatally. So, yes, he is probably better off where he is rather than going to jail. He would have been quite old when he got out...but, who is now punished (or suffers) so he doesn't have to face his punishment? Is it the wife's family as they have no idea where her body is? Is it the two little children who were home when he shot himself. They now grow up orphans - it would bad enough growing up knowing that your dad killed your mum, but to grow up knowing that you didn't mean enough for him to stay around to at least give an explanation or apologise...
I now know that, if I was to commit a crime, I would have to accept my punishment, even though I would probably prefer the easy way out. After seeing this tragedy, I now know that I would not want the people who love me to feel like they are the ones being punished for my crime.
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

To be honest, suicide, even though being a cowardice act, it also requires a lot of guts. I admit that, I don't have that much of guts. For me, facing the problems would be much more easier the committing suicide, be it the toughest problems of all.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Death before life imprisonment for me.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”