Is Suicide Ever the Answer?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Re: Is Suicide Ever the Answer?

Post by ritah »

LadyPudu wrote:I don't want to judge because I have never been in a situation like that but I remember watching Cast Away and just admiring how he chose life despite trying situations, he even said that you never know what life will bring next.
I agree with this. I think suicide is complicated and I haven't fleshed out my thoughts enough on the topic to talk about it right now.
lrbfilm
Currently Reading: Nevermoor
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrbfilm.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lrbfilm »

I think of suicide in post apocalyptic situations and I always feel very sad for the character who made that choice, but it feels understandable. In real life I feel like it is very different, but similar. I am sad that people feel so desperate and feel that it is important that we work together to help one another away from those feelings.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar »

No, I do not think suicide is ever the answer.. There are always other solutions, and I consider suicide to be an act of cowardice...
Creating Serenity
Currently Reading: How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised
Bookshelf Size: 2263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creating-serenity.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Creating Serenity »

As someone with depression, I know that suicide can be subjective. Those that say that suicide is the easy way out may not realize all that he person that committed or is thinking of committing suicide is going through. Just this year we've seen many people commit suicide. Robin Williams a few years ago, and this year, singers Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. Again, as someone with depression I understand how hard it can be to just get out of bed some days. Has suicide crossed my mind, in fleeting moments yes. Sad to say, but it is true. Those that go through with it must have felt that they had absolutely nothing to look forward to.

Suicide, just like living, is a choice that the person has to make. Everyone is going through different trials. What may not seem like a big deal to one person, could kill another. It's important that we are here for the people that are struggling and do not just say that it is the easy way out because life can be very difficult for some. Suicide may seem like the only option.
Uwazie Emmanuel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwazie-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Uwazie Emmanuel »

As a Christian, I think patience with God and prayer is the answer, not suicide.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Creating Serenity
Currently Reading: How to Read Literature Like a Professor Revised
Bookshelf Size: 2263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creating-serenity.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Creating Serenity »

Uwazie Emmanuel wrote:As a Christian, I think patience with God and prayer is the answer, not suicide.
But then what do you say to someone who is not a Christian and is seriously contemplating suicide?
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

I knew someone who committed suicide because she failed an exam that was pretty important to her. I don't think its an answer. Anyone who feels suicidal should seek help immediately.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

In my opinion, suicide is never an answer. I think it is a choice, especially if that particular person is depressed. Most of the time we judge those who committed suicide as cowards but we actually didn't exactly know what went inside their mind before actually doing the act. It might be an impulse decision but sometimes it is the build up of all the thoughts and emotions that makes a person suicidal.

Happy to say that I don't know anyone who is suicidal. Hopefully.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Never. In my opinion, there's always a way for things to get better, and at the least, you can just dedicate your life to good Samaritan work like helping out or volunteering at homeless shelters.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

In our society, some people think Suicide is the answer for them to escape the struggles of life but if are afraid to our creature God then we will never commit suicide. For me, Suicide will never be the best answer. Only people who are weak saw this as a solution.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

No, I don't think it is the right answer, but I absolutely understand why some people feel as though they have no way out. I've known people who have thought of suicide and tried, but it wasn't successful and they are still battling with themselves.
Harley1984
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=28294">A Discovery of witches</a>
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley1984.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Harley1984 »

I do not think that suicide is ever the answer. It leaves too many unanswered questions for your family and friends. At the same time, you have to wonder what is going on inside that persons head to make them want to end their lives. Is there someone telling them to end their life, or are voices in their head telling them to? People end their lives for many reasons, but none is justifiable because you can always make tomorrow a better day.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Ritikadalal
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Ritikadalal »

No, I definitely don't think suicide is the answer. Suicide means that you didn't have any other option to get out of that difficulty which is definitely not true because when God closes one door, he opens another. You just need to have patience, a strong will and good people around you and life will never be worthless enough to throw away, no matter how big of a problem it is.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

No, suicide is never the answer. But I believe suicide is mostly the consequence of mental illness. Suicidal ideation is often a symptom of more severe cases. There is a narrative that suicide happens when a person just doesn't have the moral fortitude to deal with a difficult situation. That a more positive frame of mind would have changed everything. The reality is that the person was probably struggling with a mental illness, with their brain chemicals unbalanced in a way that made "just think positively" not possible. They needed medical intervention, not a pep talk. This is why it has become the journalistic standard to say "died by suicide" and not "committed suicide". It's not a moral failure or a crime. It is a disease that ended tragically.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I understand the desire. I understand the compulsion. When I take a step back from myself and evaluate with an observer's eye instead of my own feelings, I know that suicide is not a viable option. However, it is not always easy (or even possible) to find that observer perspective. Depression is an ugly thing. It is ugly to the victim, and it is ugly to the victim's friends and family. It is not something to ever be taken lightly.

-- 22 Aug 2017, 15:33 --
Harley1984 wrote:I do not think that suicide is ever the answer. It leaves too many unanswered questions for your family and friends. At the same time, you have to wonder what is going on inside that persons head to make them want to end their lives. Is there someone telling them to end their life, or are voices in their head telling them to? People end their lives for many reasons, but none is justifiable because you can always make tomorrow a better day.
I think it may be different for different people, but as one who has walked through the valley more than once, I can tell you that inside your head you feel no options. Every choice you make hurts yourself and others. You feel with the greatest intensity that you are worthless to all around. Anyone who is kind to you is merely courteous. There is no motivation to improve yourself because you lack the ability. All is dark. Yes, your thoughts become like voices, tormenting you, telling you to give up, telling you there is no reason to even try, as you will fail. The "voices" tell you that your very existence hurts others and everyone would be glad when you are gone. There is no reasoning with you at those moments, because the lies in your head are so powerful, they cannot be overcome. It is a dark place that no one should have to visit. Just hold onto your friend and assure him/her over and over of your care and friendship. Don't stop calling and texting. Don't give up on them.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”