Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

One key thing about books is freedom. You choose what to read. If you don't like strong language, just put the book down. The guy next to you might just be waiting for it.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
gordonwrites
Currently Reading: Munich
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gordonwrites.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by gordonwrites »

No, I don't believe that bad language in books should be restricted, but when reading, if I find its overuse I will just stop reading the book. Freedom of choice for the author and the reader.
:techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I think everyone has to make choices in this world. If you won't find strong language in books, then you meet it in the movies and in the streets; it's for us to choose what befits our minds.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I don't think censorship is the answer either. Strong language can help convey the mood of a story or it may emphasize a point when used correctly. When you decide to censor something, the debate of where you put the dividing line comes up. It can get really messy.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Absolutely not! I think books should reflect reality. When the character, setting, or plot calls for strong language, it should be used.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Kate Richmond
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-richmond.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate Richmond »

I think bad language should not be restricted too. Actually, I think to use bad language or not, it depends on the story. Would it help the flow of the story? Would it make the story more realistic? I think that's the more important thing authors should consider.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Writing is a freedom of expression. People use strong language in real life all the time, whether it be out of frustration, anger, pain, or even just a trait of bad manners. For a story to feel truly realistic, the use of strong language needs to be used as it would be if the scene were actually happening. If a character has just walked in on a cheating spouse, foul language is sure to fly, so why not write that in? If another character has a sweet-mannered disposition in every situation, unless she is watching football, in which case, she curses like a sailor (me!), then let that be her personality. The more realistic the characters and the world around them, the more the reader will feel a part of the story. That being said, throwing in strong language just for the shock factor is unnecessary and will feel forced.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

No, I don't at all think that authors should be restricted from using bad language in books, in general. I do, however, wish that books came with official content ratings, as movies do. I personally prefer to read books with little to no profanity in them, and unless there's profanity in the first few sample pages on a retail site, it's pretty difficult to tell what the language in the book is really going to be like.
MsAlpha
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20752">The Last Wish</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by MsAlpha »

I don't think restrictions should be made on strong language in books - although I've read some (I can't call to mind any at the moment) where I felt that the curse words were distracting and unnecessary. But in a well-written book strong language can make the dialogues/characters more natural and relatable.
Team Glitch Magic
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Team Glitch Magic »

I think that they should not write bad words, it will help them and us. It will help them by having more kids buy there books and for us we can share the book to younger kids. Though it might be hard to stop using strong language.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I think that strong language is sometimes used in character development. Some characters need a foul mouth to show dominance or rudeness.
Monroe1987
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monroe1987.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel

Post by Monroe1987 »

I don't think language should be restricted in books. Writing is a form of expression. It can also be a platform for addressing important issues, and sometimes strong language is needed to express those issues.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Neharajoria
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 26552">Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less</a>
Currently Reading: Caraval
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neharajoria.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Neharajoria »

I think the last people on the planet that should profess any kind of censorship should be people who read and write. Let's be honest anyone who reads a decent amount believes that they are wiser than the people who do not. Freedom of expression, any kind of expression, should always be protected. Let a reader be smart enough to pick and choose what they like reading, and feel free to put the material that disturbs them down.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

No. Author's should not be restricted from using foul language, as long as it is specified what audience the book is meant for.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Gravy wrote:In real life some people use "blue" language. I'm put off if a character that would typically use harsh language doesn't. That's not to say that every *criminal, construction worker, drunkard, etc.* has to, just that it takes a very talented author to tackle one who doesn't (and it actually be readable (in my opinion)).

It would be like an author writing about an MD who never sees a patient, or a prostitute who never sees a client.
That Very Talented Author could likely pull it off, but most would come across as inacurrate and contrived.

So, yes, I think authors should include this language. Preferably only in dialogue (and the written equivalent, i.e. letters), and preferably in an organic manner.
I agree with you on this, but I also have read authors who express the use of "blue" words, without actually using them. It has worked well, in my opinion. Also, I have found that those who seldom use cursing in their writing, when they do use a curse word, it has an emphatic force that would otherwise not exist.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”