Strong Language in Books?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Re: Strong Language in Books?

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

I am uncomfortable with strong language in books or from people. It could suggest being wild. However, some think it's a way of showing how hardened they are, while some can't help it because that's all they've heard all their lives. Still, others in their own ignorant world think it's a sign of sophistication, after all they heard it from the big shiny box that transmits the current happenings in the modern world, or read it from a book, so using it might give off the fragrance of being above the rest of the commoners. Some just want to annoy others, while others enjoy it. There are more beautiful ways to express whatever it is you want to say.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I do not mind strong language in a book if it fits the situation. Even in real life the calmest person can be pushed to the point of spewing an expletive filled rant. It just shows their level of frustration at that moment. I object to books that use strong language for no real purpose and in situations where it is clearly out of place. I just shake my head and move on.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

Books with strong language must be targeted towards specific readers. You don't expect children's books to contain strong languages.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

It may not be restricted. I think it's a way to show characters emotions but if it gets out of hand it may. It may cause potty mouths if the author is not cautious on the usage.
Frasky
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Frasky »

Restricting strong language in books is a form of censorship IMHO. I do think that in the book description, strong language should be specified, so readers can decide of they want to read "blue" content or not.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

As long as it is a fictional story and no particular race or group of people are targeted, I can always accommodate the language. As long it is not too excessive.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

I don't think bad language in books leads to more potty mouths. I think irresponsible adults lead to potty mouths. Most children get bad language from video games and movies, not from books. I think at times bad language can add to the intensity of a scene in a book, and other times it's unnecessary.
EDDY OKOTH
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by EDDY OKOTH »

i dont think it should be placed highly the book should be easy to understand
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

Well, I really hate it when I encounter bad language in any book I read. However, I do not have the same interests with the authors who write their books. The use of and language can't be bad but I suggest that just like me, one can always skip this parts or pay less attention to them. The truth is that when reading books, you can't be assured that all those you pick up will be free of and language, so it's best to find ways of dealing with the problem.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Strong language is defined differently by different individuals, thus, what constitutes strong language is a matter of individual judgement. Should this kind of language be restricted in writing? No. Readers enjoy different things in their reading experiences and one of the elements might be the use of language, and in this instance, the use of strong language.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Hmm, I don't think it should be restricted, but it's the same with a film: if it becomes excessive it normally bothers me. But then again you can just turn it off/put the book down if that happens.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

k2rugman wrote:I don't think there should be any kind of censorship in writing books but I do think less of an author when there is significant strong language. I can understand an expletive in an intense situation but when a character says the F word five times in a casual sentence it feels sloppy and childish.
Am sorry, but I have to disagree. I think book should show a big reflection of reality. And in real life, strong languages are used more often than not in casual conversation. So, I don't see any problem using strong languages.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Ren B wrote:I do not think bad language should be restricted. There is a surprising number of curse words in this book compared to most others, but it wasn't so bad that it would stick with me weeks or even days after reading the book.

When talking about language in books, I can't help but think of Philip Roth. His books are notorious for language (among other things), and he has been nominated for or won numerous National Book Awards.
wow I didn't know that . But Yes I agree! It shouldn't be restricted.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Reuben 92 wrote:Hmm, I don't think it should be restricted, but it's the same with a film: if it becomes excessive it normally bothers me. But then again you can just turn it off/put the book down if that happens.
I agree. If the strong language becomes heavier, the reader may choose to skip that part of the story and continue.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Trina Higgs
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trina-higgs.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Trina Higgs »

I think it's a matter of "don't like it? Don't read it than." kind of thing. I personally don't like seeing it and I think it's a bit more of a challenge for the writer to work a different way of saying that the character cursed then to just drop in the f-bomb all the time. I do think though that sometimes it gives or shows the character(s) personality at times.
"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”