Who is Sofia from Christoph Martin's "The Expansion"?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
exactly_dm
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exactly-dm.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Who is Sofia from Christoph Martin's "The Expansion"?

Post by exactly_dm »

I have loved the book and wrote about it in my review. The book has a twisted plot and a lot of interesting characters that have revealed themselves towards the end. Yet there was this one character that kept me wondering till now (a week after I have finished reading the book): Sofia.

Beware of a few minor spoilers in this paragraph. In the end Sofia reveals that wasn't her true name. Yet who was she? Another Secret Agent? Who was she working on? Was she also responsible for the price leak to the U.S. representatives? Was she the informant to the freshly created secret agency? Why did she have to manage the "Love Nest"? Did she get some information here? Do we meet her under another name in the book?

I'm a bit lost about her, so please if you have some answers, kindly leave them as a reply to this topic.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm more lost than you. If can't even remember who Sofia is right now. My memory is kind of fuzzy. Maybe the answer will hit me later.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Ren B
Currently Reading: in a dark, dark wood
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ren-b.html
Latest Review: "H" by Ray Palla

Post by Ren B »

I got the impression that she was exactly what the author described her as - a woman whom Godfredo paid for the pleasure of her company. If I recall correctly, she was already working/managing New Horizons before she met Godfredo. As far as Sofia not being her real name, I took that as the common practice for women in her line of work.
Latest Review: "H" by Ray Palla
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Ren B wrote:I got the impression that she was exactly what the author described her as - a woman whom Godfredo paid for the pleasure of her company. If I recall correctly, she was already working/managing New Horizons before she met Godfredo. As far as Sofia not being her real name, I took that as the common practice for women in her line of work.
That was my general impression of Sophia as well. I did not get the feeling that she was an undercover agent. I did get the feeling that Godfredo has some feelings for her, despite paying her for her services.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

CatInTheHat wrote:
Ren B wrote:I got the impression that she was exactly what the author described her as - a woman whom Godfredo paid for the pleasure of her company. If I recall correctly, she was already working/managing New Horizons before she met Godfredo. As far as Sofia not being her real name, I took that as the common practice for women in her line of work.
That was my general impression of Sophia as well. I did not get the feeling that she was an undercover agent. I did get the feeling that Godfredo has some feelings for her, despite paying her for her services.
I also had the same impression of her. It is mentioned toward the end that she continues to visit Godfredo in the detention facility so I believe she had feelings for him as well.
Madison Degraffenreid
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

That are exactly my thoughts about her . I can't deny the fact that she had a class which I admired. I hope to see her in any upcoming book
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
exactly_dm
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exactly-dm.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by exactly_dm »

She was working there before, but there was a moment, where Godfredo asked her why she was holding on to this job, because he was paying her enough to quit it. However, I think she had more reasons for staying there and getting access to some information.

-- 09 Aug 2017, 03:28 --
Darakhshan Nazir wrote:
That are exactly my thoughts about her . I can't deny the fact that she had a class which I admired. I hope to see her in any upcoming book
I agree completely! That class was present in each her appearance. Also, I didn't know there is supposed to be a continuation of this book. That's good news :) Thanks for letting me know!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I think she is exactly as she was portrayed. I don't see her as a secret agent or even really an informant. Her real name not being Sofia probably has something to do with her being a prostitute. I don't think a lot of them go by their real names. I could be wrong though. I got the impression that it was sort of a brothel. And she could get information from girls who had clients that were from those other groups. I don't think that was her MO though.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I can say that Sofia is a minor yet an important character in the story. It reminds me when Max was nowhere to go but Sofia's.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Sofia may be a prostitute, but she is an unusually clever woman. She knows where to get the answers and would sell them at the right price.

I don't consider her a minor character. Her role is pivotal to the story.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I wondered about Sofie as well. She seemed to be more than she was letting on to Godredo. My guess was that maybe she was getting information for someone and getting paid for it. Maybe in the next book, she will be a character.
Donnavila Marie01

Sofia symbolizes a clever woman who was eaten by the system in the society but has still a soft spot.
aussiebooklover
Currently Reading: Absolute Power
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by aussiebooklover »

For me Sofía was one of the most intriguing and exciting characters in this story. She seems to be a true survivor, coping with reality that her "job" is probably not the easiest in quite a smart way ...
ikechukwu okeke
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ikechukwu okeke »

she was the woman who godfredo paid for pressure in the company.
Donnavila Marie01

It would be interesting if the author will organize a separate story about the life of Sofia. I want to know why she chose to follow the life that she has.

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”