Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
thisisfinal213
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Post by thisisfinal213 »

especially inspired about the issue that she had to deal with and the way how she overcame of it and that is great
thisisfinal213
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by thisisfinal213 »

She drew me into her story, with engaging writing and her flare to show both the fun and the not so fun parts of adventure is really great expedition
Teddy Mugo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teddy Mugo »

This is quite an inspirational book. I rate it 4 stars
rferrol

Post by rferrol »

This is a discussion topic for the September 2017 Book of the Month, "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel" by Tina Dreffin.

Overall i think the book is a good read.

I'm attracted by the way the author develops the characters.

Certain chapters were dragged a bit, However still a good read

I will reccomend this book to my following. I rate this book four stars
Matt D Prinne
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Matt D Prinne »

I loved the book and rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Zaydam

Post by Zaydam »

:techie-reference: This is inspiring and interesting
TrixieB93
Currently Reading: Shift
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trixieb93.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by TrixieB93 »

First of all, I want to say that this memoir is very well written. I picked it up because of the elephant on the front cover. I feel like the reader can feel as if he/she is part of these journies. I have often fantasized about traveling the globe on a small sailboat. Battling the great ocean, stopping all over to see the sights the world has to offer, going on an African Safari adventure. For me, these are just that, fantasies, but for author Tina Dreffin it's reality. She uses her memoir to tell the world of her real-life unique experiences of the journies she takes while simultaneously raising two boys with her husband and living on a boat (sometimes even with her sons' friends), crossing the sea to enticing new land. Dreffin gives her readers a look at parts of the world that not many of them will travel to see. Her book is not just full of attacking lions and angry elephants, but it is also very educational.
My favorite part of this book is the author sharing personal information and keeping things real for her readers. At times I would get caught up in the adventure but would be pulled back into reality, remembering this was not a work of fiction
A downfall to this book is the number and timing of her flashbacks. While interesting, they can occur too close together or happen with no indication it's a flashback. Also, I feel like she might have been pressed for time as the story just ends suddenly. Its almost as if there should be another book to follow.
I would rate this book a 4.5 out of 5 stars. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who asks. I also think it would be a great gift for an avid reader.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I agree that flashbacks were a bit too involved – to the point where I began to wonder if we hadn't changed the topic of the book. Overall, though, I did enjoy the book, and I did come to enjoy the company of the author through her words. I don't feel compelled to beat a drum on the book's behalf, but I wouldn't discourage reading it either. I would give the book a 2 out of 4 stars (C … maybe a C+).
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

I have not had the chance to read this book but after reading Several of the highly detailed posts I understand it is a story about a personal journey in Africa called a walkabout. This alone gives me interest in reading this story as it sounds very adventuresome. Excellent posts. Very detailed and helpful.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

Although book was educational it didn't meet my expectations. I didn't find the story interesting and also the flashbacks in the story made it really hard to follow how the plot of the story was going. The editing of the book also could have been better.
Shola0706
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shola0706.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shola0706 »

Zelinda wrote: 04 Sep 2017, 10:05 I'm only 20% through the book; I started late last night. It is an engrossing story. What I liked best is the idea that the journey can make the person more than she is at the start, that it is a growing experience. As an RV traveler who has only been on the road since June, I hope to experience the same wonder that Tina did throughout her adventure. I was surprised that I got a life story at the beginning rather than the tale of the walkabout as it began in South Africa and that put me off a little bit, but as I continued reading I was glad that she showed her previous life and put it all in context. There isn't anything I don't like about the book, but I won't rate it until I've completed it.
Also if/when you do write a final review, tell us, or maybe it's just me, if South Africa is the only "Africa" in it. I find it disturbing when people refer to Africa as if it were a country in which South Africa is just a state. :D
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Even though there were parts of the book that I did not enjoy, I rated it a 4 out of 4. I liked that it was so easy to relate to the narrator as a mother dealing with teenage boys, as a survivor, and as a risk taker. Her travel descriptions were very poetic. Her style was at times humorous. It was very inspiring and well written.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars. I appreciated the author's positivity even when she was talking about less than fortunate circumstances. She also gave vivid descriptions of what she came across during her voyage. All in all, it was an engaging and uplifting read.
acopj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by acopj »

I woukd give it 3 stars becuase it has inspiration, adventure, and thrill though i think the author coukd have done more.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Are you ready for a boat ride that includes a one-way ticket?? Get ready with Tina to go on this cruise. It is going to be an experience of a lifetime. I loved the flow of the story. Overall, a great book to read!

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”