Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall Rating and Opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the September 2017 Book of the Month, "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel" by Tina Dreffin.

What is your overall opinion of "Bluewater Walkabout"? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I rated it 3 stars. It was inspirational and moving. I was especially inspired about the issues that she had to deal with and how she overcame them all. There were certain chapters that dragged to me and that is why I took off a star. In spite of that, I would still recommend it to others.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Elvis Akpabli
Currently Reading: Across the Ocean
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-akpabli.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by Elvis Akpabli »

Not having read the book but having read the reviews, I believe an average rating of 3.5 is quite fair.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

I think it should have a 3.5. It is a hilarious and honest account of one woman's quest to better herself.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Blue water Walkabout is an amazing book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. It was very inspirational and I found that once I started reading it it was impossible to stop. An amazing book that clearly deserves to be the book of the month.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Elvis Akpabli wrote:Not having read the book but having read the reviews, I believe an average rating of 3.5 is quite fair.
You shouldn't rate a book you didn't read.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

From what I read from the reviews, i love flash backs used in the book, because they challenge the mind and no everyone will appreciate them. It talks about sailing,which i want to learn about.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I did not expect to love "Bluewater Walkabout" as I'm not typically into autobiographies of living (or recently living) people. Tina Dreffin drew me into her story, her family's story, with her engaging writing and her flare to show both the fun and the not so fun parts of adventure. Sometimes it got a little repetitive but was otherwise a great read. I will definitely recommend this book to others as I think there is a lot to learn about making life into an adventure.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

CatInTheHat wrote:I did not expect to love "Bluewater Walkabout" as I'm not typically into autobiographies of living (or recently living) people. Tina Dreffin drew me into her story, her family's story, with her engaging writing and her flare to show both the fun and the not so fun parts of adventure. Sometimes it got a little repetitive but was otherwise a great read. I will definitely recommend this book to others as I think there is a lot to learn about making life into an adventure.
I think there is a lot to learn from the book as well.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

I'm only 20% through the book; I started late last night. It is an engrossing story. What I liked best is the idea that the journey can make the person more than she is at the start, that it is a growing experience. As an RV traveler who has only been on the road since June, I hope to experience the same wonder that Tina did throughout her adventure. I was surprised that I got a life story at the beginning rather than the tale of the walkabout as it began in South Africa and that put me off a little bit, but as I continued reading I was glad that she showed her previous life and put it all in context. There isn't anything I don't like about the book, but I won't rate it until I've completed it.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Zelinda wrote:I'm only 20% through the book; I started late last night. It is an engrossing story. What I liked best is the idea that the journey can make the person more than she is at the start, that it is a growing experience. As an RV traveler who has only been on the road since June, I hope to experience the same wonder that Tina did throughout her adventure. I was surprised that I got a life story at the beginning rather than the tale of the walkabout as it began in South Africa and that put me off a little bit, but as I continued reading I was glad that she showed her previous life and put it all in context. There isn't anything I don't like about the book, but I won't rate it until I've completed it.
Yes, I'm sure you will enjoy the story the further you get.

Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

Amagine wrote:I rated it 3 stars. It was inspirational and moving. I was especially inspired about the issues that she had to deal with and how she overcame them all. There were certain chapters that dragged to me and that is why I took off a star. In spite of that, I would still recommend it to others.
This book sounds very uplifting and worth checking out. I didn't get to it before the start of this month, but may still try to fit it in. I'm glad that, even though some chapters dragged, you still found the book worth recommending.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Christina Rose wrote:
Amagine wrote:I rated it 3 stars. It was inspirational and moving. I was especially inspired about the issues that she had to deal with and how she overcame them all. There were certain chapters that dragged to me and that is why I took off a star. In spite of that, I would still recommend it to others.
This book sounds very uplifting and worth checking out. I didn't get to it before the start of this month, but may still try to fit it in. I'm glad that, even though some chapters dragged, you still found the book worth recommending.
Yes, I definitely encourage people to read it. It was uplifting.

shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by shish_by_design »

I think 3 stars is fair. It was inspiring.I'd definitely recommend it to others
Soumeg
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumeg.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Soumeg »

I have not yet been through the books but have gone through some of the reviews and found it interesting. It's been long having read an inspiring book.
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”