What trauma have you overcame?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Re: What trauma have you overcame?

Post by Steph K »

I don't know that I would necessarily call it a trauma, but I've been through some medical experiences that were emotionally trying. The biggest thing I've learned from that experience is how important my friends and family are. I've learned to open up and lean on others.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

I don't think I have had major stuff to overcome as I was growing up. I sympathize with them that have gone through traumatizing times.
hebcandle
Currently Reading: The Crane
Bookshelf Size: 1222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hebcandle.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00AGAS6XW

Post by hebcandle »

I think trauma comes in a myriad of ways to everyone. I don't think anyone can escape this life without experiencing trauma of some kind. The best advice that I've experienced is to have a support system for when those times come. Have people around you that you know you can go to and talk to. Don't be afraid to ask for help and don't try to "fix it" alone.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

I've had many traumatic situations, too many to mention. I have even removed some from memory (yes it is possible), in an effort to move on. Having a good support system helps.

I offer advise as the situation requires.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

My most traumatizing moment was witnessing a hand poke the mouth of his gun inside my father's and threatened to pull the trigger. He didn't though or I don't think I'd have the presence of mind to even recount the incident.
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

The trauma of existing :) I'd rather live
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

Ljessup wrote:I think my advice for trauma is to make sure you don't go through it alone. I know that I am someone who likes to try and get through things alone and take my own time with my own feelings instead of allowing others in to help me through it. I have realized that it is much better and easier on my heart to accept the love from others that want to help!
I think this advice is very important. I grew up around a lot of abuse. From watching my brother beat up our other brother to personal abuse from sexual to mental. It took my 11 years to tell my mother about the sexual abuse when I was 5. For 11 years, that burden rested solely on myself. It affected the way that I was able to be with my husband in the beginning of our relationship. I think that maybe if I would have spoken out and allowed myself to go through that with someone else then maybe things would not have been so hard.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Losing my dad was difficult because he was our sole breadwinner and us kids were still in school. It was the sheer determination and hard work of mum that so as through as a family. I remember prayer was a key component to the recovery process. It helped me and my siblings come to terms with the loss and forge ahead.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

Trauma, has been the abuse of various kinds, to mention them would be to tell many private stories so I think I will skip that by just saying, to overcome them you have to give your self-time and self-medicate.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I don't know if this one could be called trauma. When i was a kid, me and my sister were alone in the house one night when someone knocked at our door. It was my brother-in-law bringing the news of my father's death. Now, me and my sister were afraid of late-at-night knocks on the door. We haven't really moved on from it.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Ljessup wrote:I think my advice for trauma is to make sure you don't go through it alone. I know that I am someone who likes to try and get through things alone and take my own time with my own feelings instead of allowing others in to help me through it. I have realized that it is much better and easier on my heart to accept the love from others that want to help!
I'm the same way. Opening up to other people feels like weakness at first, but I'm learning that sometimes it takes more strength to speak up than to stay silent.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I think that everyone experience trauma at some point in their life and only those who have the courage to overcome it will survive.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I am just or still coming out of the trauma of friendship betrayal, it hurts so badly that in the initial stages I felt so devastated, being betrayed by some one I trusted so much.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

I had an aunt who was like a second mother to me. She died from Diabetes poison 4 years ago. it was a traumatising experience.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I have overcome the trauma of rejection. The advise I have is that God loves us deeply and he has accepted us as children through His Son.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”