Inaccuracies?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Inaccuracies?

Post by Gravy »

As a travelogue, how accurate do you think a book like this should be? How much research should go into it? Deep, basic, or whatever you want to do. If you find an inaccuracy, does it turn you off the book?

Personally, I think they should be reasonably accurate, and I do get turned off if I find an inaccuracy, especially ones that would be easy to prevent.

I actually found a few inaccuracies, just within the first few pages of this book, and they were ones that would have been fairly easily fixed. This made the whole thing a bit questionable to me, and the author seem like one of those travelers, if you know what I mean.

What about you?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

In non-fiction books, I find inaccuracies a big red flag. It makes me doubt the validity of the entire book because if this is one thing that I do know is wrong then how many more wrong things are there that I'm just not aware of?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It turns me off if it is a huge mistake. If it's barely noticeable or I'm too entranced by the plot of the book, then it doesn't bother me much.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree that inaccuracies are a big turn off for me. If I spot something that doesn't add up, or that I know is flat out wrong, it makes me questions the rest of the book. Unfortunately, it can really take you out of that immersive story telling and make you question everything else in the book - significantly distracting from the enjoyability of the rest of the story.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I guess there is a difference between inaccuracies and mistakes. I agree inaccuracies are big turn offs. However, everyone makes mistakes. So, you can't discount the whole book just because a mistake has been made.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

Amagine wrote:It turns me off if it is a huge mistake. If it's barely noticeable or I'm too entranced by the plot of the book, then it doesn't bother me much.

I agree, Amagine. If I am engrossed in the plot then I will probably read on without focusing on the mistake, but if it is largely noticeable I will have trouble focusing throughout the rest of the book!
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

kandscreeley wrote:I guess there is a difference between inaccuracies and mistakes. I agree inaccuracies are big turn offs. However, everyone makes mistakes. So, you can't discount the whole book just because a mistake has been made.
I agree. Mistakes are mistakes, and we all make them.
What I mean here are literal inaccuracies, like getting the name of a place wrong, or mistranslating something. Things that would be easy to research, but have been left inaccurate. Makes me feel like there's a lack of respect for the subject (or in this case, place) at hand.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by shish_by_design »

It should be highly accurate hence deep research. I wouldn't enjoy reading a book that mentions an aspect of a town i'd lived in and It wasn't true.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Non-fiction should be highly accurate. In a book like "Bluewater Walkabout", I recognize that there is much that is subjective because it's based on personal experiences but factual information still needs to be accurate.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I tend to believe whatever I read and take things at face value, especially if it's about a topic I've never learned about before. If the name of a town changed once or twice in the entire book, I might be confused but it wouldn't slow me down much. If it were something I personally had knowledge of, however, I'd be completely thrown out of the zone and wouldn't enjoy the book very much.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I won't be able to enjoy the book as much if I spot inaccuracies. Things like that bother me though I try not to care so much about little flops.
EveS523
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eves523.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by EveS523 »

In non-fiction it needs to be completely accurate. In fiction there can be made up locations but if recognizable locations are used I think that they should be relatively accurate - not confusing places in the US with Africa with Asia.
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I think inaccuracies in books can turn off sometimes. But they are some inaccuracies that I just try to understand and just get on with my book.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Btowntheatregal
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btowntheatregal.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Btowntheatregal »

I think it depends. If there are glaring geographical or historical inaccuracies, that is an immediate turn off because I wonder then how much I can trust what I am reading. However, if what I deem to potentially be an inaccuracy is really the way something was seen or experienced through the lens of their life experiences, I am much more open to moving forward with the book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

MarisaRose wrote:I agree that inaccuracies are a big turn off for me. If I spot something that doesn't add up, or that I know is flat out wrong, it makes me questions the rest of the book. Unfortunately, it can really take you out of that immersive story telling and make you question everything else in the book - significantly distracting from the enjoyability of the rest of the story.
Same here. When I know something is inaccurate, I keep wondering about what else is, and it takes away from my enjoyment of the book.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”