Facts and misconceptions of Africa you/someone you know has

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: Facts and misconceptions of Africa you/someone you know has

Post by DennisK »

Respectfully, Obi Machete, I ask: What misconceptions that people have, annoys you? I must be honest with you, I feel as though I am treading three feet under an ocean of blind political correctness. In this post, I have been critical of Africa for what I believe to be good reasons. It is the same in my country. Portland Origan and San Francisco, for example, are two beautiful cities, but both places are trashed. It is what people are doing to these wonderful places – both in your country and in mine. It is like reading some of the responses to this site’s book reviews: “I enjoyed reading this book!” … period – no further explanation. I sit here and wonder, “What was it that you enjoyed in this book? Let me celebrate it with you!” … but all there is is just stupid silence. You are annoyed with misconceptions about Africa. Are my conceptions of Africa in error? Instruct me! You are proud of Africa? From where does that pride come? Let me celebrate it with you!
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

Africa is always seen as a jungle where animals are rared. It's inappropriate and condescending.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Well, there are jungles in Africa and there are animals that are unique to that continent: giraffes, and zebras for example. My question to you is why is it inappropriate to associate these animals with Africa? In what way is that condescending? Personally, I am fascinated by animals. I don't have much interest in cities or human cultures, so when I am confronted with the subject of Africa and I am not plagued with its human dramas, I am appropriately drawn to its great apes, its lions and its elephants. I had no idea that I was being condescending - guess I will never really fit in with our new Woke society.
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

There are a lot of people that believe that Africa is filled with uncivilized and uneducated people who are dirty and poor and that is a really bad way to think.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

The misconception that people have about Africa is that they feel Africans lack any source of water, light and food which is not true in any way.
Andrew Darlington
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

I think most of these misconceptions stems from how the media portrays Africa in some of their commercials. Africa is a beautiful continent with beautiful people.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-okoye-2.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I remember one time a fellow from South Africa was on a video call with a friend from somewhere in Europe, and he saw top notch electronic applainces behind the African, and was shocked that there are such appliance in an African home...so funny.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”