Does Africa have the richest cultural heritage

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Re: Does Africa have the richest cultural heritage

Post by ritah »

Lest92 wrote:I think it's relative. Every country prides themselves on their heritage and history and none of them are poorer than the other.
I agree with this.
Christine Njoroge
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christine Njoroge »

Africa has a great culture heritage but it has since faded away with every passing generation. The heritage was passed in form of stories and even traditional songs which are seen to be a rare thing nowadays. An author like Ngugi Wa Thiongo has brought out the cultural heritage in his literary works for example his book The River Between.
JUDY NYACHOMBA
Currently Reading: The Conjurer's Game
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-nyachomba.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by JUDY NYACHOMBA »

Alicnim wrote:Africa speaks some 600 or so languages. However, Papua New Guinea has over 800 distinct tribes. I think PNG is the most culturally diverse in the world.
Good to know this Alicnim.

I think Africa has rich heritage and preserved to date. But if it is the richest not sure, i have not journey to other continents.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
henna sonum rajpoot
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henna-sonum-rajpoot.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by henna sonum rajpoot »

I believe every culture is rich in some or the other way as it has such landmarks and traditions which other cultures lack in. Spanish and egyptian cultures are not less than anything else but to say X is richer than Y is baseless in my opinion as it restricts your ability to see beyond the surface beauty.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

I think that this is an orientalist idea that has been propagated. It is fallacy to assume that the East has a richer heritage than the west.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
Mong VU
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Mong VU »

Well, Africa no doubt has a very rich cultural mix. From the Yoruba's of Nigeria to the Zulus in the south, the Berber in the north, the Amhara at Africa's horn even the Masai of the east. Africa is a land blessed with various cultures and without much debate perhaps the most culturally rich continent on the planet. In fact it is most accurate to insinuate that the beauty of Africa is "the beauty of diversity"
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

I believe Africa has many cultural richesses and she is also the cradle of humanity.Africa holds many ressources in terms of minerals.I am proud to be an african.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
Nomzamo Nawodya
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomzamo-nawodya.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Nomzamo Nawodya »

Yes and yes! Again. Africa does have the richest cultural heritage and I say this not only because am an African but its culture is beautiful and unique. The people embrace culture in its peculiarity and its something serious in some of the countries I've been to in Africa.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.
R. W. Emerson
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Valton
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valton.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Valton »

Africa is a rich continent in terms of culture, it prides itself in showcasing its roots, but just like africa other continents too have beautiful culture and so i cann't really conclude that africa has the richest cultural heritage.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Africa has a rich cultural heritage. That is undeniable. The problem we have is that Africans in several cases are not proud of their culture. Many of the African cultural practices have largely been condemned as barbaric, backward and retrogressive.
It is only recently that we have seen a strong sense of pride in African culture.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

Africans have the richest cultural heritage. I'm an African and know what I'm talking about. Just visit my country Ghana and you will confirm what have written

-- 15 Nov 2017, 11:57 --

Africans have the richest cultural heritage. I'm an African and know what I'm talking about. Just visit my country Ghana and you will confirm what have written

-- 15 Nov 2017, 11:58 --

Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I'm African but I do not agree that Africa has the richest heritage. Every cultural heritage is rich in its own way. I don't think that there's such a thing as the richest heritage. Africa is full of wonders and has great depth, but so does every other community, whether wide or small.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

I agree to this Africa is indeed blessed
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Yes I think so.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I feel like Africa and Asia have the richest cultural heritage. There is so much diversity and history.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”