Does Africa have the richest cultural heritage

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Re: Does Africa have the richest cultural heritage

Post by Debbyemi »

Riptidemom8 wrote:I believe all heritage is rich. Learning about different cultures and makes you more appreciative of all heritages.
Exactly Riptidemom8. All heritage are rich. Thanks
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Debbyemi wrote:I have met a lot of Africans who feel and assume Africa has the richest cultural heritage as compared to other continents.
I am African, I believe we have lots of cultural heritage but I would not just like to assume we have the richest as I haven't had a first hand experience of other continent. What are your thoughts about that?
Yeah, it is really hard to say. And it is going to be a huge task trying to do a sociocultural or ethnographic study of each continent to be able to arrive at some objective conclusion. However, I believe that each continent has a great culture and each one of us must learn to appreciate others' cultures and also do well to preserve what belongs to each one of us, especially those that are not primitive.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I think Africa has a wealth of cultures but I wouldn't necessarily say it has the richest cultural heritage. To be frank, African cultures are dying.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Africa, of course, is a continent, large and incredibly varied and diverse, ranging from tropical to desert, with cultures ranging from Egyptians, thousands of years old, to the San Bushmen in the Kalahari desert in the south, who live with nothing, completely in tune with nature as they have for much the same period of time, In recent years their way of life has been eroded by Western civilisation, as so many others. Music, dance, craft, art, drama and storytelling, different and vibrant, can be found across the continent and there are many organisations encouraging and trying to preserve its riches. How it compares? It cannot be compared. India has an equally rich and diverse heritage and so do many others. We celebrate diversity!
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Africa may not have the richest cultural heritage but it has the oldest since it is the first place human beings existed before migrating
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think a person needs to spend time in a certain country (or continent in this case) before coming to this conclusion. It all depends on perspective and you perspective will be shaped by your experiences. When you live in a foreign country and begin to understand the people, their customs and traditions, then you can give an education opinion. I have never lived in Africa so I am not qualified to give an education opinion.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I wouldn't say its the richest because I've not weighed Africa cultural heritage against others. one thing is for sure though - that the cultural heritage is diverse.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Africa has many cultures, just like any other continent. The world is a huge place for all it's inhabitants, and all the countries have a variety of a set of their own cultures, beliefs, norms, values, etc. So, I don't think Africa dominates in it's cultural heritages, as opposed to other continents.
deana73
Currently Reading: Protect
Bookshelf Size: 1210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deana73.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B06XRTYRKM

Post by deana73 »

I feel because there are so many countries there they have had int he past very rich cultural heritage, but with all the vast changes I feel they are becoming modernized and losing some of their heritage. Not all of Africa only certain parts. America is a new country with no identifiable heritage to speak of but the true Native American culture and know you can only find reminiscences of it outwest.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I think each continent has its own beauty and richness. Africa has a lot as well.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

eelavahs-jay wrote:I think Africa has a wealth of cultures but I wouldn't necessarily say it has the richest cultural heritage. To be frank, African cultures are dying.
What can we say is the cause for that though.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:43 --
jenjayfromSA wrote:Africa, of course, is a continent, large and incredibly varied and diverse, ranging from tropical to desert, with cultures ranging from Egyptians, thousands of years old, to the San Bushmen in the Kalahari desert in the south, who live with nothing, completely in tune with nature as they have for much the same period of time, In recent years their way of life has been eroded by Western civilisation, as so many others. Music, dance, craft, art, drama and storytelling, different and vibrant, can be found across the continent and there are many organisations encouraging and trying to preserve its riches. How it compares? It cannot be compared. India has an equally rich and diverse heritage and so do many others. We celebrate diversity!
So true, we have to preserve this heritage.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:44 --
Job Njoroge wrote:Africa may not have the richest cultural heritage but it has the oldest since it is the first place human beings existed before migrating
Wow, never given that a thought though. Thanks.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:45 --
kdstrack wrote:I think a person needs to spend time in a certain country (or continent in this case) before coming to this conclusion. It all depends on perspective and you perspective will be shaped by your experiences. When you live in a foreign country and begin to understand the people, their customs and traditions, then you can give an education opinion. I have never lived in Africa so I am not qualified to give an education opinion.
Thanks for your candid opinion. You made a good point.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:46 --
bookiegalke wrote:I wouldn't say its the richest because I've not weighed Africa cultural heritage against others. one thing is for sure though - that the cultural heritage is diverse.
Exactly. :D

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:48 --
Mtsweni Nelsy wrote:Africa has many cultures, just like any other continent. The world is a huge place for all it's inhabitants, and all the countries have a variety of a set of their own cultures, beliefs, norms, values, etc. So, I don't think Africa dominates in it's cultural heritages, as opposed to other continents.
Nice point. We never can say, until a major research is carried out.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:51 --
deana73 wrote:I feel because there are so many countries there they have had int he past very rich cultural heritage, but with all the vast changes I feel they are becoming modernized and losing some of their heritage. Not all of Africa only certain parts. America is a new country with no identifiable heritage to speak of but the true Native American culture and know you can only find reminiscences of it outwest.
Modernization is gradually eroding it off.

-- 03 Oct 2017, 04:52 --
Kalin Adi wrote:I think each continent has its own beauty and richness. Africa has a lot as well.
Exactly Kalin Adi. each has its own beauty and richness.
aboladeoluwatise
Currently Reading: A Throne of SoulsBook 1:A kingdom forgotten
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aboladeoluwatise.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by aboladeoluwatise »

All continents are in touch with their cultural heritage but Africa and Asia are strongly in touch compared to other continents.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Eric77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Eric77 »

African cultures are sure very rich. It's diversity is the spice. Not very informed about other cultures, but I could vouch for Africa. Though modernization is affecting it, I would guess I it is not the only one being affected.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

I have lived in Africa and learned the language and culture of one of the people of Africa. I found the history fascinating, the dependence on village and family enriching, and the challenge of communicating the Gospel significant. Culture is language plus life. Richness is variety. Most individuals are single culture creatures. I think that tilts the opinion in favor of one's culture to individual preference.
Jim Thorne
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I think to know something better, one would require first hand experience. Since I haven't experienced other cultures personally, I won't say Africa's is the richest though Africa is my homeland.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”