Are challenges needed for growth and success

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Re: Are challenges needed for growth and success

Post by Debbyemi »

Zupanatural wrote:If you choose to look at it in such a way then everything is a challenge. Getting up in the morning, eating the right food, speaking to people, taking on a new project... whatever. You either do it or you don't. The really crucial thing is to embrace your failures & learn from them.
You are right, everything is a challenge, it is what we do with the challenges that matters
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

It's inevitable to grow without challenges. A baby learns how to walk by falling as many times then he learns how not to step. I have seen many people try ideas without success but a time comes when they would say "have known how to do it" knowing "how to" comes after knowing "how not to".
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

That's so true Mumoscar, "knowing how to comes after knowing how not to". Thanks.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

A smooth sea never made a great sailor! With challenges we develop the character, tenacity, atyitudes,skills, to handle success when it comes and to keep growing and thriving. Because success is sweet, sweeter if long delayed and attained through manifold struggles

-- 08 Sep 2017, 05:34 --

A smooth sea never made a great sailor! With challenges we develop the character, tenacity, atyitudes,skills, to handle success when it comes and to keep growing and thriving. Because success is sweet, sweeter if long delayed and attained through manifold struggles
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Very well put Gikonyo Caroline, it helps to develop us.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

yes, challenges molds us but the effect has two ways, either to make it a stepping stone out of stumbling blocks or stay at the negative side.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

readandsmile wrote:yes, challenges molds us but the effect has two ways, either to make it a stepping stone out of stumbling blocks or stay at the negative side.
Very well put, I hope I will always make mine a stepping stone out of the stumbling blocks. Thanks.
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

I do believe that you have to be in a challenging situation for you to realize that you still have some work to do to be successful. It is challenges like this that tells us where we stand in life and shows us where we ought to be.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Belynda White wrote:I do believe that you have to be in a challenging situation for you to realize that you still have some work to do to be successful. It is challenges like this that tells us where we stand in life and shows us where we ought to be.
Exactly, challenges help us know our present level and how we need to improve. Thanks
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I think one can succeed without challenges and when life is tough we wish we had it easy, but challenges absolutely do make you stronger if they don't kill you.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

Life is full of challenges, however, I believe the degree you view them as a challenge is influenced by past experiences and personality. Challenges help you grow as a person, build resilience, make you stronger and help you develop problem-solving skills. People who grow up being sheltered from life's challenges are more likely to be overwhelmed when being forced to stand on own's own feet and make a decision.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Katherine Smith wrote:I think that challenges make you stronger as an individual to a certain point. I feel that a life that is filled with challenges can either push you further towards your dreams or can make you feel hopeless. I think that you can succeed in life without challenges, but it does not teach you anything about life. A life without challenges causes people to feel entitled and narcissistic.
I agree. Yes, you can be successful without actually encountering any challenges. However, there is no true growth that way. If someone is just handed things without having to earn them, he or she will simply feel entitled, as you stated above.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I experienced one time, challenges gives me strength. And, I believe that God will give you a according to your ability.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Yes. Its how we learn the lessons firsthand. As they say, experiences are better teachers.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Lest92 wrote:I think one can succeed without challenges and when life is tough we wish we had it easy, but challenges absolutely do make you stronger if they don't kill you.
Wow, first thought from some one on succeeding without challenges. I also want to believe it is possible but I will say it is rare.

-- 11 Sep 2017, 03:50 --
jwalker73 wrote:Life is full of challenges, however, I believe the degree you view them as a challenge is influenced by past experiences and personality. Challenges help you grow as a person, build resilience, make you stronger and help you develop problem-solving skills. People who grow up being sheltered from life's challenges are more likely to be overwhelmed when being forced to stand on own's own feet and make a decision.
Great point there. 8-)

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”