Do you love family trips?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Re: Do you love family trips?

Post by k2rugman »

Growing up, my family took lots of trips together. I appreciated that my dad took time off work to take us to theme parks or out of town to visit extended family. They were always an adventure!
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

I do love family trips! I always find that we seem closer than before whenever we go on a trip together.
Whatisthis5546461
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whatisthis5546461.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Whatisthis5546461 »

love is the only thing which is most abundantly found in family members and that's why i love my family
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

It depends on how we are traveling. I go to Florida with my in-laws but I have to travel in a separate car, and lately it seems like I have to have a different itinerary or I end up watching my nieces 24/7. My family hasn't gone on vacation together since I was a little girl. I don't think we'd even have any idea of how to be together if it weren't for holidays
WendyH
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyh.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WendyH »

As a child, I didn't enjoy family trips so much as they usually resulted in family members fighting or arguing the entire time. As an adult with my own family, I enjoy them a lot better as we all have a wonderful sort of harmony that makes such trips a lot of fun.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
esthernn
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by esthernn »

no, I love being a loner sometimes.
MLove83
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mlove83.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by MLove83 »

Interesting question. Many of the adults in my family (the one I was born into) had/have a drinking problem. We took a few vacations when I was a kid, most of which were camping trips. Of course, they drank on these camping trips, but at least my cousins were there to run around with. Other vacations included visiting family out of state and one trip to San Antonio. Just being honest, these trips were some of the best memories of my childhood, a nice escape from an otherwise somewhat miserable existence. Only on the San Antonio trip did we actually DO much of anything, but everyone was in a much better mood just getting away from it all.

Now that I'm a parent in what I hope is a much more stable family, I LOVE taking vacations with my husband and son! We've taken road trips to visit family, day trips to a lake or water park, and we've gone to the Texas Renaissance Festival every year since before he was born. As he gets older, I can't wait to take longer and more exciting trips. There is a theme park in New Jersey where kids can operate real construction equipment that I know he would go NUTS over. That and a Disney cruise someday are on the list of goals. I'm also looking forward to taking him camping on the river like I did as a kid, and to visit extended family in Colorado.

Interestingly enough, we are purposely not planning on taking him to Disney World/Land or any other super crowded, overwhelming, expensive, touristy destination. I think that the key to a good trip (or any family event) is to find balance between planning "things to do" and just relaxing. The responsibilities of planning and paying for a vacation are enough without adding the pressure of overextending your time, finances, or personal comfort.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
kina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kina.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B009W9AEOM

Post by kina »

I've only had one or two trips with my family I've really enjoyed as I've gotten older. When I was younger it was all a hassle and when we did travel it wasn't as enjoyable with my baby siblings along to fuss or suddenly get sick. I look forward to taking trips by myself or with friends when I get the funds for it, though.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I would love to travel with my family. The most memorable trip we had was 8-9 years ago and I was too young to really enjoy it.
OldNerd
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by OldNerd »

Of course. The trip I enjoy most is that involving my family, we usually have a lot of fun traveling together.
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

Half of my family won't even speak to one another. A family trip would be a horrible idea for us.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Definitely love family trips. The time you get to spend together, and the amount of comfort on those trips is amazing.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Not too frequently. Once a year will be fine, for a maximum of three days. That's my tolerance level for being stuck in a room with my siblings. But I love them.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

Yes! Being with family on the trip is other level of excitement. Our family use to travel to a different places local and international. It's a great experience because everybody is excited and very funny.
Though sometimes we dis-agree for something to eat, but the rules always applied. "Majority's decision." Just like a corporation or any organization.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Absolutely! I'm so used to travelling alone that sometimes I worry that if I travel with family it would spoil my fun. But it is always refreshing to read about families that get together well on a family trip.

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”