Conflicts regarding tradition

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Re: Conflicts regarding tradition

Post by akeseh »

An African proverb says "tradition die hard" I will go for legends.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Traditions and data are both important. Traditions are a bond within families and cultures. I agree with others that there needs to be a happy medium between the two.
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

I agree that there is importance on both sides. Legend and data. They are both valuable and each has their own reasons for being important. I think there is a way that these two can complement each other and not have to just be one or the other.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I think both legends and data support each other, data could give us some direction, but legends complete that information, sometimes both of them go for different paths but at the end maybe they would be mixed in a wonderful missing history.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Job Njoroge wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 08:51 Data and legends should work to complement each other since the legends have reasons backing them some sound others not
I agree with this, as I feel that both legends and hard data have their advantages. After all, tradition is still based on hard facts at point of creation - it is a never-ending cycle.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I can understand why Tom would want to bury the Atlatl with his grandfather, I expect there would have been several emotional reasons for that. When he had time to think about it on a different level he understood why they should bring it out of the forest.

Regarding data vs legend, Myra was emotionally invested in the legends and tales of her ancient people.
Sergei was a scientist, he thought logically, but he explained how the geological landscape fit with Sarah’s story. They talked about the land bridge where the Bering sea is now. Sergei had noticed how Sarah felt when she thought no-one else had tried to verify her story by talking with her about it. He asks the fisherman, William and Tom if the voyage was feasible and if it would fit with the story, that’s when I understood the importance of the moons in Sarah’s tale. Sergei explained to Myra that yes, the mix of geology and the dream Sarah related was data. He also explained how Sarah’s sighting of the short-faced bear fit in with the legend as these were known to have existed 60,000 years ago. The sliver of the Atlatl confirmed it was bone from a Siberian mammoth. Unfortunately, the Atlatl was lost.

That was probably one of my favorite parts of this book. It was then that I realized the story would end unexpectedly. I hope one day, they might solve that mystery.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

I think both tradition and data are equally important as Tradition help us to make what we are and what our values are. On the other hand data help us to know what happened in past and what should we do now. So both are important.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

I think the two complement each other.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

Data is mostly factual; legends are more flexible. Both are not always accurate, though. I'd say data wins the argument in being practical, but practicalism doesn't account for human emotion and attachment to history, something that is often discounted.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

I agree with others who said that, ideally, folklore and legends on the one side, and the scientific data on the other side, should work collaboratively in pursuit of truth. Solely relying on one and disregarding the other leads to dogma and away from the truth.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

Christina Rose wrote: 02 Oct 2017, 10:40 Coming from a culture rich in traditions passed down verbally, I tend to find be on the side of legends more so than data. However, I agree with those that answered before me, in that there is likely a happy medium allowing the two to compliment each other.
I totally agree with you on this i go with Legend.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”