Does age affect trust?

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Re: Does age affect trust?

Post by Sarah G »

I do think age is just a number, it is more about maturity. You see it all the time, with a 20 year old that has had everything done for them compared to a 13 year old that is very independent.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

There is a tendency to underestimate what young people say. But we should give them more credit to build a stronger character.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

No! not at all. Trust most of the time depends on the attitude and the moral nature of a person. A person can be of age but can easily abuse trust accorded to him/her. I believe younger people are trustworthy than older people.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

I'm still more apt to trust a teenager rather than a child or adult, but I just thought of something interesting. Children are very impressionable to the countenance and emotions of others. That's why a child's testimony in court is usually not considered strong evidence. So while children are quite innocent in their intents to deliver the truth, they still fall susceptible to pleasing others.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I feel like people usually don't trust younger children because they think the stories are made-up and outlandish, but children actually have quite strong insight, which we saw through how much Sarah developed.
rkgemes
Currently Reading: Opposites Attract
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkgemes.html
Latest Review: "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson

Post by rkgemes »

I think trust is determined by actions and behaviors, not by age alone. Age is not a factor in many things unless one is looking at it from a superficial aspect. At any age, a person can earn trust. It is the level of understanding from a person that encourages positive behaviors that leads to integrity and trustworthiness. Cultural differences play in role in positive attributes of a person.
Latest Review: "The Right to Nominate" by Thomas E Peterson
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

ebethina wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 15:17 I don't think so. I think no matter what age you are if you can you can be trusted. I for the most part was a very trusted and always have been. In Sarah's case with her background I can see why she was hard to trust.
I think that's a good point. Some people can be seen as trustworthy at any age. However, in this particular instance, I can see how her age was a hinderance. Younger people typically have very active imaginations coupled with attention-seeking behavior (which Sarah exhibited many other times in this book, especially early on). So I can see how this can lead them to seem less trustworthy than an adult.
free2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by free2018 »

Sometime, the young people cannot be trusted and vice versa.
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

Yes age affects trust. Trusting an adult is much easier as opposed to trusting a teenager.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
readingnow93
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by readingnow93 »

In society, age definitely affects trust. A regular person can assume Sarah is young, naive, and some people would even let her age affect the validity of what she’s been through by assuming she exaggerates. However, I don’t think age should affect trust. People can go through a lot, and a 13 year old could go through more horrible and amazing experiences than a 20 year old just because of destiny. Destiny and fate play a big role in the universe and what happens with an individual, while age is just a number. People forget that it’s a dynamic, sophisticated world where everything happens for a reason. I don’t think age should affect trust, but it does in the real world of skeptics who may refuse to believe that someone young can have much life experience.
trevdev
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by trevdev »

In life even though it is not suppose to be so age affects trust. In Sara's case it may have not been so but it is easier to trust an older person with experience and wisdom than a younger person with a wild imagination... It is important that we don't limit our trust to specific age groups like in this amazing book!We should all be trust worthy!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Maybe it wasn't Sarah's age but her history. No matter what age, as long as you feel you can trust a person, then go ahead. Yet, sometimes, caution is the key.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I feel that trust is affected by age, but the thing is that trust can be broken at any age. We just expect older people to be more honest and upfront.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Perhaps yes her story would have been more believable. But thinking about it I don't think any adult would have been too forthcoming about sharing the ordeal for fear of looking insane.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'd say its a person to person basis, some people are more mature and believable and that may have nothing to do with age. It also depends on how fantastic a story is, like Alice in wonderland or Life of Pi. Some embellishments in stories may be to cover up trauma, be an overactive imagination, or a mental illness.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”