The atlatl

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

The atlatl

Post by Atabon Della »

From the story, we learn that the atlatl was a very important piece; an ancient artefact. In fact Myra believed that it could save the park from the vicious activities of the Buckhorn company.

How did you feel when the atlatl was destroyed right in front of them but they could do nothing?

I felt terrible. I paused for a while before continuing my read. What was it for you?
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I found this scene pretty upsetting and I wasn't prepared for it to go there. I felt so disappointed for the group, it was unexpected. A good, powerful scene though that turned some of the plot on it's head.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Atabon Della

Post by Atabon Della »

It was really terrible. I wonder what will happen in the sequel. I thought the atlatl was the pivot of the story but then it was just destroyed.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

Atabon Della wrote:It was really terrible. I wonder what will happen in the sequel. I thought the atlatl was the pivot of the story but then it was just destroyed.
Same here, wasn't expecting that at all, was really surprised at the turn of event. But like you said, let's see what happens at the sequel.
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Maybe they will find another artifact? It still doesn't change the fact that what happened to the thrower was terrible. It had a big significance to the story.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Atabon Della wrote:From the story, we learn that the atlatl was a very important piece; an ancient artefact. In fact Myra believed that it could save the park from the vicious activities of the Buckhorn company.

How did you feel when the atlatl was destroyed right in front of them but they could do nothing?

I felt terrible. I paused for a while before continuing my read. What was it for you?
It was very difficult to "watch" the atlatl destroyed. I was whispering "nooooooooooo."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Like the others, I also found this scene upsetting.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I was stunned and angry, surely they could see it was a priceless, irreplaceable relic of the past? Perhaps they couldn't. Some people are so focussed on themselves and their concerns they see nothing. What is the past to them when riches beckon in the future? A weapon made from the tusk of a mammoth... awesome! And so effective. We can be proud of our ancestors. I hope the author will allow us to see another one! Meanwhile, Sarah is pretty good at it.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I found this scene pretty upsetting and I wasn't prepared for it to go there. I felt so disappointed for the group, it was unexpected. A good, powerful scene though that turned some of the plot on it's head.
I wasn't prepared either. I was expecting Sarah to "save the day" before the atlatl was destroyed.
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Christina Rose wrote:
Gingerbo0ks wrote:I found this scene pretty upsetting and I wasn't prepared for it to go there. I felt so disappointed for the group, it was unexpected. A good, powerful scene though that turned some of the plot on it's head.
I wasn't prepared either. I was expecting Sarah to "save the day" before the atlatl was destroyed.
It was a bold move for the writer to make. No wonder Sarah got mad and used her darts after that!
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I agree the destruction was a horrible thing for them to do. History is important and we need to preserve it.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Atabon Della

Post by Atabon Della »

jenjayfromSA wrote:I was stunned and angry, surely they could see it was a priceless, irreplaceable relic of the past? Perhaps they couldn't. Some people are so focussed on themselves and their concerns they see nothing. What is the past to them when riches beckon in the future? A weapon made from the tusk of a mammoth... awesome! And so effective. We can be proud of our ancestors. I hope the author will allow us to see another one! Meanwhile, Sarah is pretty good at it.
Of course they knew and could see that it was an important piece, but still chose to destroy it, just for their selfish interests. It was really disturbing for me. Maybe the author has another piece in the coming sequel; who knows?

-- 16 Oct 2017, 16:54 --
Christina Rose wrote:
But she came when the deed had already been done. She really was angry so much so that she had to practice once more her throwing skills on them. Was kind of a compensation for her loss.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:
It was a bold move for the writer to make. No wonder Sarah got mad and used her darts after that!
Yes! This definitely explains her actions. I agree, too, that it was a bold move. I'm pretty sure every reader was surprised.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I was also horrified by this scene, even though I saw it coming. I didn't expect the threat of further violence though. I had to put the book down and breathe for a few minutes.
Atabon Della

Post by Atabon Della »

Yeah, the scene was really disturbing for everyone who saw the importance of the artefact.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”