Was Myra Necessary In The Story

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Re: Was Myra Necessary In The Story

Post by Radhika_puri »

I think Myra is an important character. Maybe without her Sarah would never be able to open up like she did. Myra also have many abilities that help them throughout the story.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

Myra really helped when it came to Sarah like they connected well and also supported William, plus her knowledge on artifacts and bears helped too.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I don't think she was crucial, exactly, but she did add to the story. She narrated most of the stories and was a key figure in passing on some of the traditions of her people. She also acted as the secondary female figure - a mother/sister figure to Sarah even. I also think she was used for the romantic edge with Pete/Sergei.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think Myra was very important to the story, especially because without her, I don't think Sarah would have stayed so long with the group. She would have probably gone away earlier or the journey wouldn't have taken place at all.
Plus, Myra was the one who the majority of the time caused the conversation to revolve around Native legends.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Sumansona1344 wrote: 27 May 2020, 04:30
Espie wrote: 27 May 2018, 19:34
Kuolettava wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 14:59 Myra is important to this story. I don’t think any of what happened would have happened as smoothly were it not for her. I know that there was a lot of conflict in the group, but Myra was a great mediator between Sarah and Tom specifically. She helped give Sarah a grounding point so she could adjust easier to the vastly different environment from what she was used to.

Myra was also a crucial part of not only helping Sergei cope with the loss of his father, but for William coping with the loss of a dear friend. While Sergei had someone to challenge him, William had someone who helped to keep the balance between what he had lost and what he had left.

Personally, I don’t think the author handled grief very well, but the effort is clearly there.
I also agree with the importance of Myra's role in balancing situations and filling in the gaps of and for the other characters. Our ability and eventual decisions to cope with what life's realities would have for us are influenced by several factors, including but not limited to situations and intentions.
Yes, I completely agree with you! Moreover, Myra was my favorite character in the story.
Thanks. Indeed, she is quite important to the storyline for several reasons.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Millicent_2
Favorite Book: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millicent-2.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Millicent_2 »

CNWaweru wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 02:03 I think she was important. She represented the native people. She narrated a legend of the origin of the native people. Through her arguments with Sergei, we get to know what Sergei knows. I think she is also the one who is able to keep up with Sarah during the first trip.
Well said! Myra is actually one of my favorite characters. In addition to sharing very valuable Native American history and defending their beliefs, she is definitely the glue of the group; she helped Sarah smoothly transition into the group, and she jokes with William and Tom while looking after their health. Despite Myra and Sergei's constant bickering, I also believe that she serves as another motivator for him to continue on the trek.
Asja Šabani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asja-sabani.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Asja Šabani »

Myra is important because she serves as a foil and confidant for Sarah. She is also a source of important information for Sarah as well as the reader - for example when she talks about the legends of Native Americans.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

CNWaweru wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 02:03 I think she was important. She represented the native people. She narrated a legend of the origin of the native people. Through her arguments with Sergei, we get to know what Sergei knows. I think she is also the one who is able to keep up with Sarah during the first trip.
Thanks for this comment. You said my mind
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

Yeah i think she was important to the story.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”