Explicit Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Re: Explicit Scenes

Post by readandsmile »

I don't like it because it is very sensitive to us. It is so seductive and distract me from reading it. So daring.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
DDunstock
Currently Reading: Casimir Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 281
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddunstock.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by DDunstock »

They did not add to the plot. That being said, I didn't feel that anything added to plot since there wasn't a plot - at all. I really struggled to get through this book because the story line was all over the place and void of a succinct goal.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

DDunstock wrote:They did not add to the plot. That being said, I didn't feel that anything added to plot since there wasn't a plot - at all. I really struggled to get through this book because the story line was all over the place and void of a succinct goal.
The storyline was really scattered, you're right. I made it through the book just fine, but certain aspects of it made it difficult to tie everything together (such as the story line being all over the place like you mentioned).
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 687
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I do not think the explicit scenes were necessary or even welcome. It is one thing to espouse the freedom to love whom one chooses. But to write all those sordid details is uncalled-for.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Miriam Molina wrote:I do not think the explicit scenes were necessary or even welcome. It is one thing to espouse the freedom to love whom one chooses. But to write all those sordid details is uncalled-for.
I agree. I wonder if the author wrote them for himself more so than for his audience. As a science fiction/fantasy fan, these scenes are not typical, nor are they necessary for the enjoyment of the novel.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I feel that explicit scenes should be used sparingly to add to the plot not just to make the story more sensationalized. I think that pictures should be used in a book, but not nude pictures which has been discussed in previous posts. I think that if you have an adult book which sex scenes it should be done tastefully. I am a fan of letting the author express him or herself, but within certain limits.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Katherine Smith wrote:I feel that explicit scenes should be used sparingly to add to the plot not just to make the story more sensationalized. I think that pictures should be used in a book, but not nude pictures which has been discussed in previous posts. I think that if you have an adult book which sex scenes it should be done tastefully. I am a fan of letting the author express him or herself, but within certain limits.
Well said. I agree.
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

The explicit scenes were entirely unnecessary. They didn't add any information about the characters or the overall plot. The explicit scenes could almost nudge the book into the fantasy genre 'cause I've never met anyone who lives that scenario.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

At some point it started to remind me of the Jane Fonda movie from 1968, Barbarella. She just ran around the planet having sex with everyone for the heck of it. Apparently they did it differently on her home planet...
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

I am personally weary of any novel that includes multiple explicit scenes because I can see one (maybe) being necessary to a plot line but anything above that is just an excuse to... get explicit. Which, if that’s what you’re going for, is fine, but it’s not typically what I seek out in novels.
Que Lopez
Currently Reading: The hate you give
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-que-lopez.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Que Lopez »

If there were just one or two explicit scenes I wouldn't see an issue with that. However, I believe it was a little excessive and unnecessary.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

There is always such a fine line between explicit scenes being part of and adding to the story, or just being used to fill up space or for shock value. If more important aspects of the story are cut or shortened to create the explicit scenes, then I almost feel the author is cheating the reader.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Vickie Noel wrote:
Yolimari wrote:I think the point of the explicit scenes was to develop the theme of polyamory relationships, which oddly enough was mostly discussed in the second half of the book. However, I did think the author over did it. My conclusion was that the book discussed several scientific concepts, and as a result, the author included the over the top erotic part to make the story exciting.
I quite agree. It's a sort of tactic to make a book as relatable to general life as possible when explicit scenes are thrown in to take of the sting of unfamiliar or undesirable concepts. Sometimes, the purpose is achieved, other times, it keeps a potential reader at bay.
I completely agree with you, seeing as I'm one of those potential readers. I feel scenes like this encourage deviant thinking and behavior and there is a spiritual price at some point as well.
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

I tend to feel like explicit scenes make all stories less romantic somehow, and especially distracting from the plot. It always feels like a line has been crossed. Maybe some people see it differently.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

In my opinion, they make the book more appealing. The plot content in itself without the explicit scenes is too mechanical.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”