Did you like the plot twist at the end?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Did you like the plot twist at the end?

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

I've read the book several months ago and I have to say that I didn't expected the twist but it wasn't as shocking as it should've been. There are a lot of twists involving twins these days.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I think it's just a far cry to make the book seem overachievingly mysterious. But I do agree they suggested a plot twist would come out at one part so it's definitely not out of the blue. Do I love it? Depends on what the writer can do with the twist.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I haven't read this book, but I generally love plot twists in books. I love it when you don't predict something happening and the author surprises you at the end. Those are the ones that leave me excited about the book and then I find it hard to find another good book because I want to read something similar.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I must say that I saw it coming from fairly early on. When everyone she met had essentially met her before I figured it would either be a clone type situation or a memory wipe/replug that was done in the future. The twin thing is pretty much the easiest answer and falls in line with a clone type situation.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Cotwani wrote: 09 Nov 2017, 16:35 I found the twists a welcome relief. I kept wondering throughout the book whether the author was setting up a stage for some sort of reincarnation!! However, I would also agree that the twists were not properly refined. They still left me with a 'really?!' moment.
I agree...I honestly hoped it would be something goofy like future-Jennifer went back in time and lived another life earlier than her first trip back...and that she benefited from something she did later in her own life.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

The story had been plain and smooth and i didn't like it for being so. "The twin sister" twist was good was not good enough to make this dull story vivid.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I certainly didn't see that twist coming, but at the same time it was not that surprising? I mean, by that point I just expected that there'd be something that would smooth things over at some point, you know?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

I did see the twist coming since every once in a while they kept refering to someone who looked basically exactly like the main character and was similar to her in almost every aspect. But I felt like it didn't really explain things well. It seemed like the ending was a little rushed. Most of the book was spent looking at how Jennifer tries to adapt to the 21st century and then all of a sudden there's a twin sister and she's saving the team members that she had abandoned. I felt like a lot more time could have been spent developing this rather than a last minute ending to the book.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I did not see the ending as a 'twist', as it had been inferred to the whole length of the book. It was meant to be a shock ending, but more than anything, I felt disappointment.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

leiabutler wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 15:15 I did not see the ending as a 'twist', as it had been inferred to the whole length of the book. It was meant to be a shock ending, but more than anything, I felt disappointment.
Now that I think about it, that's a fair point. It certainly wasn't much of a twist when you consider that the author kept emphasising how much Jennifer's fitting in was too easy.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Innae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innae.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Innae »

Can you really call it a plot twist if you were expecting it? I may not have known that Jennifer had a twin, but I wasn't quite shocked when this secret was revealed. I would've relished it more if it was unexpected but even then it wasn't anything too fascinating.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”