Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

What holiday(s) do you celebrate?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

We all celebrate different holidays at different points in the year. What holiday(s) do you celebrate? In what ways is this holiday special to you? Are there any traditions you and loved ones take part in?
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

The holidays in this time of year are my favorite. I love Christmas for it's focus on family and friends. Everyone is thinking about giving to others. Something about Christmas brings out the best in people. In December people are so willing to drop money in a Salvation Army kettle or collect gifts for kids at the children's home. There are dozens of charity drives, with lots of enthusiastic participation. I wish we could bottle all of December's good will and spread it throughout the rest of the year.

I love Christmas, but I also have a particular connection with New Year's. There is such a sense of possibility at the start of a new year. I always feel very optimistic, that no matter what goals I haven't reached or failures I suffered in the past year, that the next year will be better.

In Missouri the New Year's tradition is to eat hog jowl, black eyed peas, and cabbage. Cabbage for wealth, black eyed peas for health, and I'm not sure what hog jowl is supposed to symbolize!
Outlaw413
Currently Reading: 1421 The Year China Discovered America
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Outlaw413 »

I love the holidays. When we were little, my parents would take us to our great grandma's house for Christmas Eve. We'd draw numbers for gifts, then we would play card games after dinner. Now, my boyfriend and I are starting our own traditions. We are going to his hometown of Omaha for 2 weeks. Then back to my hometown in Colorado to spend Christmas with my family
Tcnowlin01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tcnowlin01 »

This time of year my family and I participate in Christmas and Christmas events. We mainly just sit around and fellowship with one another. Christmas is a big thing to our family. Christmas is know for the birth of Jesus and we celebrate his birth with songs and food.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I love the holidays. I love the lights. We celebrate Christmas, although I'm teaching my son about Hanukkah as well.
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also celebrate Christmas with my family. My husband and I usually buy a real pine tree that smells so good and we love to decorate it listening to Christmas songs. We visit our families and stay over night with both of our parents. There's something about this time of year that fills my heart with such warmth, though it's so cold outside! It's also a time that I reflect on little baby Jesus and God, and really how blessed I am in my life.

Insightsintobooks729, I love how not only do you celebrate Christmas, but are teaching your son about Hanukkah. This may sound silly, but when I first watched the Hanukkah episode of Rugrats as a kid, I began to realize that not everyone celebrates Christmas. So, in a way, Rugrats helped me become more cultured? :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jebolina
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jebolina.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jebolina »

I celebrate two festivals in my life. These are Ed il kabir and Ed il fitri. :tiphat:
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
militarymoments
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-militarymoments.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by militarymoments »

We celebrate Christmas and my daughter's birthday in December (today actually!) :P My husband is a Protestant, Christian pastor, so our Christmas Eve's usually involve a church service of some kind.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
readingnow93
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by readingnow93 »

I enjoy celebrating my birthday. I generally only celebrate birthdays.
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ruishigan »

Christmas, New Year's, and Thanksgiving. My family used to celebrate Easter, but most of the kids in my family are all grown up so we no longer do egg hunts or anything like that.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I like celebrating Christmas and birthdays, and that's about it. Although I do not really "celebrate" it, I do enjoy Halloween. I use watching over my little cousins as an excuse to get free candy.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Of course, Christmas is a huge part of December, but it is not actually my favorite holiday. There is so much pressure surrounding this time of year. My favorite holiday is Halloween. I love the fall and all things spooky.

Return to “December 2017 Genre Discussion”