Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I enjoyed this book very much. And normally I am not even a big fan of books like Harry potter but I now think that my preferences are changing. I liked the writing style though. Beautiful. I qould recommend it to others.
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

Definitely seems to be worth reading. I will give it a go for sure!
annunaki001
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by annunaki001 »

I'm quite new in the forum, but from the comments, i have gotten an intrest in reading the book "End Of The Last Great Kingdom", since i am a lover of dark magic fantacy
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

I haven’t read the book yet, but I’m going to read it as soon as possible being a huge fan of fantasy novels. Besides the reviews are really great and a few friends of mine also recommended the book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

Fantasy is not my go-to genre, but this book came recommended, and there ARE some fantasy books I enjoy (despite my pickiness), so I jumped in. I enjoyed the story over-all - I thought Victor Rose did a good job establishing the story's world. The story was mostly pretty cohesive (there were a few gaps where I had to back out of the story and actively think about where the strings attached to the whole), and the characters were well drawn. The only other downside was that there were so many different types of characters that I had trouble, at times, keeping track of them all. The violence didn't bother me; I suppose after the heights of GOT, I am able to tolerate higher degrees of violence in this genre. All in all, I would give it 3 of 4 stars, and I might actually read the next book in the series (though it would be a "borrow" and not a "buy" for me).
RJWaugh
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Currently Reading: The Word Collector
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjwaugh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by RJWaugh »

I really enjoyed reading “End of the Last Great Kingdom”. I’m a big fan of Sci-Fi/Fantasy books, the plot was well formed, the fantasy part was intriguing and overall, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars due to a few errors. (grammatical)

I really liked the battle scenes and the way the author developed each character, giving the reader a lasting relationship with the characters. I would highly recommend this book!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I'm encouraged to give this book a look due to the good reviews. Still, I'm curious: fans of fantasy who have read the book, how would you rate the quality of its world-building? Was it well-developed?
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Everyone's comments have made me really interested in trying this one out. I'm not a huge fantasy fan per se, but there are some I loved. Including Harry Potter, and The Magicians.

Now my husband LOVES fantasy; he doesn't have much time to read anymore but maybe he'd like to try it out too. He's really the fantasy genre buff.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 10:42
Christina Rose wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 15:46 I really enjoyed this book. As a fan of fantasy novels, I found it very true to form. I loved the world building, unique and well developed characters, and epic battle scenes. I would definitely recommend reading this book to fans of dark fantasy and magic. Readers should use caution, though, as there are quite a bit of descriptive violent scenes. I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars due to scattered errors throughout the novel, but I think the story itself deserves a 4 star rating.
Since I like fantasy novels in general, I was trying to find out more about this book before deciding whether to read it or not. Your comments helped me in this respect. The book sounds like it's worth having a closer look, yet I hope the technical errors are not so many.
I hope you give this book a try, and that you enjoy it. The errors were truly not distracting to me personally, but I did have to take note as a reviewer of these errors, and give a star rating that reflected the editing. I’m glad my comments could help you. :)
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I’m a fan of the fantasy genre. This book allows the reader to let go of what is and isn’t “far fetched.” The story is beautifully presented by the author.
The gore and violence was a bit off putting, but the suspense kept my attention.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

This book is on my massive TBR pile and is currently on my kindle. I absolutely love fantasy stories. I love the world building and just getting lost in another place and time. I can't wait to read this one!
fatemeh133
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatemeh133.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by fatemeh133 »

I used to be big on fantasy, but as I got older I found myself leaning more and more toward realistic fiction. Perhaps one of the reasons I distanced myself from fantasy is that they started becoming overwhelmingly destopian-like universes. I understand that there is a lot to draw on from the world we live in today, but some dark streak has taken hold of the written fantasy world that I do not find quite right. I wish we would regain some distance from all the gore in the tales these days, both in books and on screen.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

Reading everyone's reviews makes this sound like a really interesting book. I might have to give it a try!
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

Although I am not a big fan of fantasy books, it was quite descriptive and gave vivid imagery, notwithstanding the scenes with violence and some obvious grammatical errors. 3 out of 4 stars
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

The fantasy world that I was able to live in while reading End of Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose was very captivating. The story is definitely fast paced and fortunately there was never any moment where I felt bored.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”