Can young adults identify with the main characters?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Can young adults identify with the main characters?

Post by Paul78 »

CaitlinGonya wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 19:49 I think young adults can connect with characters, especially Brimstone. As teenagers they are subject to many fits and cliches. Finding ones self and surviving bullying are milestones of life.
I would agree with you on this. Youngsters usually face alot of identity matters when they are in that stage of life. When they see how Brimstone manourvered , they would be inspired.
They would realize that even without magic one can still make it.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Young adults will find the many internal struggles relatable. The need to belong and to be somebody is clearly depicted.

Heat is a good model for women, young and old. Her loyalty and courage are admirable. I just wish she had another name. Heat isn't cool, LOL!
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

Although I found the writing style to be absolutely atrocious, I began to identify with Brimstone once he became helpless after losing his leg. I'm a disabled 19-year-old female, and I lost my childhood to an excruciatingly painful disease that is still eating me alive, making me unable to walk, sit on the floor, or turn my head more than 30 degrees in either direction. Brimstone's agony in the infirmary and inability to engage in any physical activity until he discovered his bracelet's usefulness is an omnipresent reality for people like me, and, if anything, I appreciated the accurate portrayal of a disabled character.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Insecurity, needing to belong, searching for friends who have similar interests and needs, striving to find your own personal strengths and hoping to goodness you have some, these are emotions that every young adult experiences. I hope, though, they don't identify with the bloodthirsty angles, knocking off enemies wholesale.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 09:48 Insecurity, needing to belong, searching for friends who have similar interests and needs, striving to find your own personal strengths and hoping to goodness you have some, these are emotions that every young adult experiences. I hope, though, they don't identify with the bloodthirsty angles,
knocking off enemies wholesale.
It all depends whether they are all alone or they have someone who can show them the way. Mentorship is key for the young adults to find the right direction for their lives.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I think adults would be able to identify with these characters. Heat has weaknesses and struggles, and this is the most common experience for a young adult. Overcoming these weaknesses and working to better yourself is also inspiring for young adult readers. It might also depend on the person reading the book, but I don't think young adults would be discouraged from reading this story based on the characters. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Brimstone is affected by bullying when it seems he's not good with magic; I imagine teens could relate to that. Heat was a strong character because she was tough and a competent mage. I imagine young females would appreciate that.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

The inner struggles and constant pulls towards discovering who you are are prevalent in the novel and young adult s identify with this!
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I feel like Heat is a very strong character and many young adults would be able to relate to this character. I feel very similarly about Brimstone.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

Christina Rose wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 18:54 Even though the physical struggles are acts of fantasy, I do think the inner struggles are relatable. Each main character struggles with fitting in and finding his or her own way in the world. I like that the author delves into the strengths and weaknesses of these young characters. It makes them that much more relatable.

Yes, I do feel like Heat is a strong enough character for young girls to look up to. Even though she struggles, she also rises. I think her lack of perfection makes her more relatable, and the different ways she overcomes her weaknesses show examples of attainable strength and highlight real qualities like endurance.
I agree. If the characters are perfect, then they are impossible to relate to because we will never be like them.
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

The creation of the story revolves around the lives of young adults. Yes! They easily relate to most of the characters in the book.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

It has been the norm, I think, that the audience would root for the underdog in action scenes. And the sense of justice of the readers requires that the fumbling and the naive newbie should triumph at the end. Young adults could very well pick up the hardships and torment experienced by Brimstone, to relate to their own.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

I believe that no matter what book a person readers, he will always be able to find himself in it. There's no way you cannot connect to at least one of the characters of the book - doesn't matter if he's good or evil, to put it shortly. Personally, I absolutely loved Brimstone - maybe it's because he inspired me to find inner strength and learn how to fight back.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

In a sense, yes, because we all have our inner demons that we have to learn to control. We also have to learn many things through trial and error, even if we have guidance from elders. There are many young people who have to face hardships every day and I believe that determination and courage are very important in overcoming most of these issues.
Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ste-brad.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Ste Brad »

Sounds interesting. I'll have to consider it. I have to admit, though, I've been spoiled by the superb writing and true life stories of YA books by B. Sparks.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”