Can young adults identify with the main characters?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Can young adults identify with the main characters?

Post by briellejee »

i'm a young adult and yes i can definitely relate to the characters lol
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

The mark of a good book is that any reader can identify with the characters!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Young adults still encounter bullying at that age and they will relate with Brimestone.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Christina Rose wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 18:54 Even though the physical struggles are acts of fantasy, I do think the inner struggles are relatable. Each main character struggles with fitting in and finding his or her own way in the world. I like that the author delves into the strengths and weaknesses of these young characters. It makes them that much more relatable.

Yes, I do feel like Heat is a strong enough character for young girls to look up to. Even though she struggles, she also rises. I think her lack of perfection makes her more relatable, and the different ways she overcomes her weaknesses show examples of attainable strength and highlight real qualities like endurance.
Yes, I totally agree. When I was younger, I had to stop reading books with "perfect" characters (such as Sweet Valley High series, etc) to those with characters who struggled more. Characters who have flaws helped me come to terms with the fact that it was ok for me to have flaws too. We all have weakness but it's how we overcome it that makes us strong.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

RebeccasReading wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 11:04
Christina Rose wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 18:54 Even though the physical struggles are acts of fantasy, I do think the inner struggles are relatable. Each main character struggles with fitting in and finding his or her own way in the world. I like that the author delves into the strengths and weaknesses of these young characters. It makes them that much more relatable.

Yes, I do feel like Heat is a strong enough character for young girls to look up to. Even though she struggles, she also rises. I think her lack of perfection makes her more relatable, and the different ways she overcomes her weaknesses show examples of attainable strength and highlight real qualities like endurance.
Yes, I totally agree. When I was younger, I had to stop reading books with "perfect" characters (such as Sweet Valley High series, etc) to those with characters who struggled more. Characters who have flaws helped me come to terms with the fact that it was ok for me to have flaws too. We all have weakness but it's how we overcome it that makes us strong.
I used to read Sweet Valley High books, also, lol. I’ve changed my reading habits as well, and I do find myself relating more now with the characters within the stories.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Definitely! I remember dealing with insecurities in my teen years. When we are young, we all try to find who we are. Some of us are still trying. In our journey, we are bound to be insecure about who we are.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

The book has young adults that today's young adults can relate to. Considering the struggles as a young adult, the certain emotions and all that.

Also, yes, I do think Heat was a strong enough character for female young adult readers to look up to, because her character and own peesonalty was well portrayed. The young adults of today want someone strong so when they go through certain situations, they would remember someone overcame it and they also can. After all, books are reflections of daily occurences.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

You have presented a tough question right there. Teen years and the choices and preferences made during those years are quite unpredictable. It's possible that many teenagers would easily relate to the main characters. However, I can easily say that many would just not be able to do so. But, that is the case with most age groups, isn't it? Some can relate to the main characters whereas others cannot.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

Yes, I think like some characters Heat are strong for young readers to look up to.
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I feel that this text is relatable. With the character Brimstone and the whole issue of bullying, I feel that many, especially children during this era, will be able to relate. We all go through it at some point and we need more of this in literature, so children these days don't feel alone.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

YA keeps me connected to my inner teen. I think stories like these with bullying and insecurities fuel my empathy for what kids go through today. It's hard to forget how awkward puberty was when you are regularly reminded through novels. Reading these comments makes me want to get to reading this book.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I think the characters are relatable even to young adults. Young adults have wild imaginations.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for this topic and your feedback. I think a successful young adult book is one in which they can identify with the main characters' emotions and struggles. In addition, a character like Heat is relatable particularly because the author gives the character a touch of humanity rather than insist on the hero-like typology.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

I definitely think so. The characters have great depth and we the author does a good job of showing us why they do what they do, so we can empathize. The storyline is complex without being overbearing and goes into great detail which I think holds their attention.
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I feel that yes, young adults can identify with the main characters. We have all been through something similar to the struggles related in the book at one point in time.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”