January "Books Made Into Movies" Discussion Help

For January 2018 we will be reading books that were made into movies
Guenevere Lee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: January "Books Made Into Movies" Discussion Help

Post by Guenevere Lee »

I'm re-reading Life on Pi right now and as soon as I'm done I'm going to watch the movie. This is one of the few movie adaptations I felt really captured the spirit of the original novel :)
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I really enjoyed The Prestige by Christopher Priest. The book was amazing, and the movie adaptation was well-written and well-acted.

The movie's all-star cast included Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Cain, Piper Perabo, Andy Serkis, and David Bowie. The double reveal took my wife by surprise. But since I had read the book, the cat was already out of the bag for me. Still, the movie allows you to collect clues along the way if you know what you're looking for.

Great book! Great movie!
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I watch the BBC screen adaptation of Pride and Prejudice every time I'm sick. And as I'm sick now, I'm in the middle of it again.

Our family also really enjoyed watching The Lizzie Bennet Diaries series on Youtube. It was a fun adaptation. Even my 10-year-old son (at the time) enjoyed it.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Oddly enough, I've read a lot of these but have not seen the movies! I have seen Me Before You, a few Stephen King movies, Jaws, and The Help. I wouldn't mind seeing Hidden Figures; I read the book and was NOT a fan! The premise is obviously outstanding, but the execution of the story was barely tolerable at best. So, maybe in this case, the movie will outshine the book?!
Lopermann88
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Lopermann88 »

No Country for Old Man is for me the best illustration of fantastic book/fantastic movie combo. The book has its own style of narration and puts the reader into the minds of the various players. I wouldn’t have thought it possible for a movie to be a worthy companion piece to the book, but boy was I wrong (in the best way). The movie takes the best parts of the book, and brings it to life in such an amazing, understated way. They are both examples of masterworks in their own right, in my opinion.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 14:27 Pride and Prejudice

This is the one you need to see! I'm telling you! It's great. It was a mini-series on TV. Check it out.
I love the mini series, but there is something about the Keira Knightly movie that I also love. I heard they're doing ANOTHER remake---it will be interesting to see how it compares!
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

klbradley wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 09:20 I found Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie at the library the other day. I haven't started yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!
I've always wanted to read this book but never seemed to have the time. Now I'm wondering if I should just wait for the movie.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

There are quite a few favorite books of mine, that have been made into movies. The Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, The Fountain Head by Ayn Rand, Gone with the wind by Margaret Mitchell,The Harry Potter series and many more. However, I have always loved the books more. The only exception being Lord of the Rings, where i felt the movie screenplay was more tighter and gripping.
monicamu
Currently Reading: Wings Over Ghost Creek
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monicamu.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by monicamu »

I'm always slightly disappointed when I see that a movie has been made of a favorite book. I tend to avoid these films as the filmmakers can't possibly see the same thing as I see. For instance, although The Lord of the Rings by JR R Tolkien is possibly my all-time favorite book, I have still not seen the movie and have no plans to see it.

Return to “January 2018 Genre Discussion”