Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Post by Misael Carlos »

I have not read the book yet, but I like inspirational and real life stories so definitely this will be in my bookshelves as soon as I get a hold a copy!
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

To be quite honest, I found the writing a little boring. It's not that what was happening was boring but the way it was written, the language used to describe things, was not very interesting. I think I could've liked it, if it wasn't for this.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

I passed on this after reading the sample. I felt I wasn't in need of a self-help book. I regret now after seeing everyone's comments on it. It seems like it really is insightful and worth a read, whether you need it or not. Maybe I'll pick it up some day.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

Even though I still haven't read the book, I can say that I relate to its vibes. I like personal, inspirational, and touching stories that resonate deep within me.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I really found this book interesting and fun to read and although I didn't really think much of it when I first read the title, my views on this book were immediately changed after I read it. I really liked how the book is able to convey moral teachings to its readers and still keep the book interesting.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I'm not a big fan of these types of books at all so I wasn't keen on it.
I would add that I did think that it was well written. If you do like these types of books then it would be a good book to read.
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

i'will have to read this self help type of a book and i hope it is inspiring.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I definitely agree with other comments regarding the unrealistic expectations self-help books such as this can generate. Many people face plenty of adversity in life, and someone without the same education, background, money or social status will not be able to simply change their thought process and fashion their lives into the same dream existence as someone who has all of these advantages. It's a nice idea, but it's not reality. I did enjoy the stories, and the "Myth" at the beginning of each chapter giving rise to the message at the end. I would recommend this book to someone who has already found some success in life and is looking for growth and change. It might be a little presumptuous and inappropriate for someone struggling just to get by.
Ana_Saints
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading: How to Dance with the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-saints.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Ana_Saints »

I am a fan of non-fictional books especially those inspirational ones, so no doubt that I really loved this book. Rob made me realize that people around you though a stranger can make an impact in your life. And that impact from someone can greatly change your life into either a better or worse way. I give this book a rating of 4.
morlineloy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by morlineloy »

For sure I would say that, even though I have not read the book but from the comments I have read indicate some silver lining in the book.Just as the bible says that we should not despise humble beginnings, the Author seems to indicate this in his writing. We should never loose hope in searching for gold even though it may seem very deep down the ground. Remember as you dig deep the more dangerous and difficult it is as you get away from the humans' vicinity.You reach a point when you can only hear the sound of the digging tool as you pave closer to the mineral.You do not give up because you see signs of gold you have been toiling for.

what an a amazing book.Looks simple but has hidden treasure. There is no written article without a lesson in life.I am very sure that the writer had some precious and hidden truths in the book.Simple books may not need surface viewing but very deep.A man in the bible saw a piece of land with hidden treasure in it, he went and sold everything he had in order to buy the land just because he knew that there was something precious that could not be seen on the surface but hidden underneath.

I see deep things put in simple appearance.Wow!
Keep it up!
Annette Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Annette Smith »

Like a few have already commented, he seemed more palatable at the start of the book, but came across much more narcissist as he went on. Perhaps it was the repetition of the formula of problem then solution then active use of knowledge gained from his experience. He structured his writing like this over and over again.

There are many egos in the world of Self-Help, and unfortunately I think he's one of them.
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

I haven't read this one yet, and I also don't seem to be reading it. The reviews are nice and tempting, but I'm not one for non-fiction. Thanks for the reviews guys.
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Gmdiamzon 2
Favorite Author: Scott Hughes
Favorite Book: Devilish
Currently Reading: His to Protect
Bookshelf Size: 124
fav_author_id: 6516

Post by Gmdiamzon 2 »

adays many of us including me searching success thru material things/money but Rob wanna tells deep understanding in ourlives is still the most important to feel the real success. Thanks for motivational lesson i learned from this book today. 😊
Brittany J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-j.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Brittany J »

I just finished the book and I really enjoyed it. I don't care much for self-help books, but I didn't really view this as a self-help book. The author wasn't directly telling the reader what they need to do to live a better life. I saw it as simply storytelling. It was these lessons that he learned along the way to help him and grow and change. I'm sure a goal of this book was to pass this knowledge along in hopes of inspiring others, but it didn't feel preachy. Since the lessons he learned were from ordinary people, some through very casual exchanges, I feel it is showing that if we take the time to listen to others we can gain value when we least expect it.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The book is quite a good read. I liked many of the chapters except the one where he had an encounter with the Maasai mother. Overall I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars. I also did a review of the book.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”