Which story did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Re: Which story did you like best?

Post by DustinPBrown »

His childhood chapters were probably the best ones. I did think the one where he loses his wig was funny, though.
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

I liked the story of the 3M dollar shakeup, I've learnt from it that we shouldn't give up on our dreams of becoming successful even if we go through hard times.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

jamiramontez wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:22 I liked the story about the earthquake that damaged all of the housing that was in the process of being built. It caused him to nearly quit everything before realizing that he can come out of the hardship and still succeed. It was a great reminder that no matter how hard we fall, we can stand up if we are determined and we can succeed.
I like this story, too. Tough times of his life but he still manage to stand of that hardship. There are many things we face each day, and the way we manage it change our lives. :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

My favourite story was the one on authenticity; where his wig fell off his head when he was on stage. I liked the fact that it made him comfortable in his own skin(well, bald head). I think when are true to ourselves, appreciating other people around us becomes a lot easier.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:53 My favorite was the very first chapter. I thought the story of his aunt Theresa, and the impact it had in his later life, was very personal and had a really important message. Which one did you like the best?
So far, I’d say the story with his Aunt is probably my favorite as well.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

DustinPBrown wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 11:09 His childhood chapters were probably the best ones. I did think the one where he loses his wig was funny, though.
This story make me laugh as well. I am so serious on reading but on this part I really laugh :lol: :lol: . Well, it seems that story will never be taken out of the reader's mind. I remembered something when my teacher loses his false-teeth due to too much anger. :lol:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 09:40 I liked the childhood chapters best. I think my favourite one was him stealing a penny sweet in the store, and a stranger putting in the penny for him. Then how that translated later into him paying $10 towards an old woman's shopping, when he knows fine well she dropped it and the guy behind him has his foot on it. Those both came across to me like exactly the kind of small and random acts of kindness people can be quietly shown up by and learn from. Some of the later ones, where it's all about business success and money I found were more traditional self help books and so rung a little less true for me.
It's wonderful how small things that happen to us when we're children can have such a big impact later on in life. One person's kindness can change so much! The story about the penny in the store made me reflect on my own childhood an the lessons learned that still affect me today.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

CNWaweru wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 23:13 My favourite story was the one on authenticity; where his wig fell off his head when he was on stage. I liked the fact that it made him comfortable in his own skin(well, bald head). I think when are true to ourselves, appreciating other people around us becomes a lot easier.
Ha, yes! It reminded me of that scene in Sex and the City (odd comparison, I know, bear with me) where Samantha is on stage giving a speech and gets overheated. She's been going through chemo and is having hot flashes, not to mention the wig she's wearing to hide her hair loss. Instead of feeling self-conscious about her sweating, she just rips the wig off and keeps going. It's a very empowering moment for her. Just like the author, she's learning to be comfortable in her own skin.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

RebeccasReading wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 11:30
CNWaweru wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 23:13 My favourite story was the one on authenticity; where his wig fell off his head when he was on stage. I liked the fact that it made him comfortable in his own skin(well, bald head). I think when are true to ourselves, appreciating other people around us becomes a lot easier.
Ha, yes! It reminded me of that scene in Sex and the City (odd comparison, I know, bear with me) where Samantha is on stage giving a speech and gets overheated. She's been going through chemo and is having hot flashes, not to mention the wig she's wearing to hide her hair loss. Instead of feeling self-conscious about her sweating, she just rips the wig off and keeps going. It's a very empowering moment for her. Just like the author, she's learning to be comfortable in her own skin.
I agree that when we can be true to ourselves, we can begin truly appreciating others.
I’m not familiar with that episode of Sex and the City, but it sounds like a good one. :)
dariosaguciojr
Favorite Book: Gringo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dariosaguciojr.html
Latest Review: Seven at Two Past Five by Tara Basi

Post by dariosaguciojr »

The story I liked the most is when he lost everything due to an earthquake. He was able to find inspiration through what a mother told her son. "Are you going to let one wave decide for you if your surfing days are over? If you get on a board, you're going to wipe out. That's part of the thrill. And that's when you have to decide to get back on the board and try again. What's it gonna be for you?" Whenever I think of this book I always remember those lines.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

dariosaguciojr wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 20:58 The story I liked the most is when he lost everything due to an earthquake. He was able to find inspiration through what a mother told her son. "Are you going to let one wave decide for you if your surfing days are over? If you get on a board, you're going to wipe out. That's part of the thrill. And that's when you have to decide to get back on the board and try again. What's it gonna be for you?" Whenever I think of this book I always remember those lines.
You right! All of us have problem everyday, and everyday had its own unique problem and unique solution. All we need to do is to hold on our faith because not all the time it goes like it. The prob :eusa-think: lem will solve by itself.
dariosaguciojr
Currently Reading:

Post by dariosaguciojr »

You're right. If we stand up and move forward we don't know if the things we do will make the situation better, but if we give up and do nothing, our situation will not turn for the better.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

dariosaguciojr wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 06:06 You're right. If we stand up and move forward we don't know if the things we do will make the situation better, but if we give up and do nothing, our situation will not turn for the better.
I agree on your point. :D :tiphat:
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
dariosaguciojr
Currently Reading:

Post by dariosaguciojr »

They say that trials makes one stronger. Going through tough situations makes us appreciate the little things we enjoy right now.
cshaffer17
Currently Reading: The Last Days of Magic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshaffer17.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by cshaffer17 »

I lead with humor, so for me, it has to be when he was on stage and lost his wig. I laughed my tail off imagining him running back and forth behind the curtain while he thought he was invisible. All the while, the audience is watching his panicky race back and forth. SNL skits are made from material like that, but this was real life
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”