Which story did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Re: Which story did you like best?

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

The story I liked most is ‘Life in the Fast Lane’. This is because the lessons I learned in this story are very important to me. I even captured this in my review. From the myth he believed in; “Sometimes insisting you know is the speed lane to victory.” and the reality he discovered; “when my ego declines, I open my mind; and now I find the quickest path to the finish line.” I find this very inspiring that it's better to always put myself at a learning position and not at know it all position. In this way, I can be able to correct myself as I learn through life experiences.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

All the stories had something good about them. But, the story I liked the best was that of Aunt Theresa's. I don't think I'll ever forget that one. It kind of shows us how to love.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

I appreciated the story about the deer. I like the way it was handled and the idea of respecting all life and standing up for beliefs. I come across the argument of pro-hunting and anti-hunting and I do believe people have a right to speak their beliefs. Just some days its done incorrectly but the way the story was done shows a positive way to stand up for one's beliefs.
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

The story I liked best was about the cakes at the airport. Not because of what I learned, but because it reminded me of Arthur Dent at the train station eating his biscuits, only to find they weren't. I loved Douglas Adams's Hitch Hikers trilogy so any reminder of them is welcome.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

jamiramontez wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 17:22 I liked the story about the earthquake that damaged all of the housing that was in the process of being built. It caused him to nearly quit everything before realizing that he can come out of the hardship and still succeed. It was a great reminder that no matter how hard we fall, we can stand up if we are determined and we can succeed.
This was also my favorite story. It revealed a lot about his character as well as highlighted that people can bounce back from even the worst of circumstances.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Singer wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 08:35 The story I liked most is ‘Life in the Fast Lane’. This is because the lessons I learned in this story are very important to me. I even captured this in my review. From the myth he believed in; “Sometimes insisting you know is the speed lane to victory.” and the reality he discovered; “when my ego declines, I open my mind; and now I find the quickest path to the finish line.” I find this very inspiring that it's better to always put myself at a learning position and not at know it all position. In this way, I can be able to correct myself as I learn through life experiences.
I can relate to this as well. our learning never ends. Every day, there are plenty of lessons to learns from different situations.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Well they are many stories I like in this book. One of them is the deer story. Here the author tried to show us the sacredness of life. It doesn't matter if it were an animal's or a man's. Life should never be seen as a "thing".
Rumshez
Currently Reading: Into the Water
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumshez.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Rumshez »

I liked the first chapter best. It was quite thoughtful.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I enjoyed "Life in the Fast Lane." It takes a great deal of introspection to humble oneself into a position of learning. The ego is a strong force and the author was able to understand how it isn't about being right that's important, but putting our ego in check and seeing things from a different perspective. I felt this story had a very impactful message that anyone could really benefit from.
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

I liked the story of his aunt Theresa. It really does take a special kind of love for someone to hurt herself in order for you to be happy like all those times her aunt picked the old maid card even when it reminded her she was an old maid. That is love.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
ValentineT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valentinet.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by ValentineT »

The story where he made a very big loss on his investments. I really liked that one, because you get to learn that giving up is no option. You have to be ready to face challenges along the way but they are supposed to make you stronger.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I loved most of the stories in that book, but the one about her aunt Theresa really got into me. It was mindfully written and inspiring.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

My favorite story was about his cheating attempt in an exam. Dr. Tucker teaches us that no matter our position in the society and in the lives of others we ought to remember that everyone deserves a second chance. He would have chosen to frustrate the young man but he chose compassion. Indeed, the greatest form of inspiration happens in the halls of compassion and not in the conference halls of five-star hotels.
10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Post by 10mile72 »

The Aunt Theresa story and the Margaret story. I loved when Margaret blurted out "How do you like my red dress" in the middle of his speech. It's a very important lesson to learn -- we are all in our own little worlds. :P
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

I really enjoy "I Decided Not to Die", the power of decision and how to overcome challenges

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”