How do you identify personally with this book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: How do you identify personally with this book?

Post by londonmartine »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 23:31 I grew up in a small, blue collar town where I judged success by a person's ability to leave and be more successful elsewhere. I went to college and graduate school and ended up back working in that town after the death of a parent. I felt like a failure for ending up back where I started. White really made me stop and reexamine that attitude.

Did any of his stories make you draw similarities to your own life and experiences? Did it make you think differently about your preconceived ideas or judgements?
Success is such a personal thing, related to how you perceive your life in comparison to others - or whether you think about it at all. This book sums up the personal journey - I think for most people the expectations they have for themselves change as they grow to adulthood.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

I was actually the opposite of the original poster. I grew up in a large city where "success" was defined by a person's career and the money that they made. As the daughter of a single mother who was working and going to school at the time, I was made to feel like a complete failure and outsider by my peers. As a teen, I was able to move in with my dad in a much smaller town, and everything changed for me. I realized that relationships are more important than money and things, and found a place where I fit in. This book is a good reminder that lessons can be learned from any person or experience we encounter.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The contents of this book are aimed at character-building. I can see where my personality will be strengthened by the virtues taught in this book.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I personally really liked the message that came from not thinking about the black cat. I am a generally positive and energetic person and I try to pass that on to others. Whenever I found myself or others thinking negative, I try to acknowledge it and change the attitude
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

Yes I do identify with the author on the fact that the success of a person starts with positive thoughts and outlook on life. It doesn't matter what the background of a person is, I have seen people stay in small towns and succeed in life without ever leaving. At the end of the day each to their own.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Just like that author, I believe that the most important lessons in life are not from the conference halls of big hotels but are learned from our everyday life. We just have to have an open mind to pick up the lessons whenever we come across them.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I wrote down every "myth" and "counter myth" at the beginning and end of each chapter. They make really good intentions to have posted around your house. I really loved and related to this whole book. He doesn't call it this, but it really was about the Law of Attraction.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I personally take this book with a grain of salt. Some of his lessons were good, but some were just common sense things, or related to situations I could never imagine myself in (the racing car chapter, anyone?). The lessons are what they are, but I wish the stories hadn't progressively become less compelling as the book went on.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Since I was born in a city where pretty much everything is available and managed to get fairly good grades all my student life (success has so far been judged mostly by my academic qualifications), I did not exactly have the struggles the author had to deal with. But I have come across some scenarios in which his life experiences sounded relatable. For example, the one where he describes his college experiences- I have also struggled in a crowd of people who were supposedly from some upper class families or studying in famous schools. I used to feel intimidated, but then I managed to make my mark. Another one related to this situation is where the author urges us to believe we are smarter than we think we are- this actually works! Also, the stories which show us the power of honesty, kindness and forgiveness are something which I can relate to.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Human evolution has been my cause of concern, in life! The book speaks about the unexpressed parts of our consciousness! The author's writing style is my future model!
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I felt that I could identify with him in his younger years but as he got older and his experiences became more associated with wealth I struggled to relate as well
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

For me personally this book gave a more positive insight on life in general like being positive and confident in my self.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I am encouraged to measure success by my own standards, stay always positive, and always try to put a smile on people's faces.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”