Should there be a sequel?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Re: Should there be a sequel?

Post by Samy Lax »

If there was a sequel, I might read it. Though, I can't imagine what that sequel could be about. Maybe that's why I am just the reviewer and not the author.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I'm not sure how a sequel would work for this type of book.I don't know if there would be anything else left to say from the author
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

thelittlelibrary wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 08:23 I'm not sure how a sequel would work for this type of book.I don't know if there would be anything else left to say from the author
I agree with you. What else is there to be said? I don't see a burning need to hear any more from this author.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Generally, I like books with sequels but this book is peculiar since it sort of falls under autobiography categories. A sequel can only be possible with new stories but a similar theme with the first book.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
notashrimp16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-notashrimp16.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by notashrimp16 »

I think having a sequel of professionals would take away from the importance of this book. It would lessen the things learned from these average people because the title of professional makes readers think they should listen to them more.
And yes, professionals are important. But that's not the point of this.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I think the book is okay as it is. I do not think there should be a sequel to it. However, the author probably still has a lot a lot of information to share. Nothing stops him from writing it as a different book without leveraging it on this one. Just my thoughts.
AoifesReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aoifesreview.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by AoifesReview »

I agree with a lot of other people who are saying no they don't think the author should do a sequel. Like many have said this is so autobiographical in style and so self-contained that I fear a sequel would ruin that.

And Then I Met Margaret contains its own particular message, to do a sequel with the same message would, in my opinion, be overdoing it.

I would definitely be interested in another book by this author, just not a sequel to this one.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

I don't think a sequel could be written unless time had passed. However, it might be an interesting book if he shared the aftermath of this very personal book. I'm sure there has been feedback, personal interactions, and some self-reflection as a result of him sharing his personal life experiences.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

The book is strong enough as a stand alone but I would be interested in reading another motivational piece by the author.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Emie Cuevas wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 23:28 There is always something new to learn, from anybody about anything. I think a sequel is a good idea, especially if the author listens to what his readers said about the book, and writes it to suit them.
This is very true. The author could harvest ideas from his readers to write a sequel.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

I agree on a stand-alone book to reach a different audience. Sometimes it would be better to start with a new idea rather than drag it into a sequel.
Mitchell Starc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitchell-starc.html
Latest Review: Bread Fat by Joseph Eldor

Post by Mitchell Starc »

I think a sequel might be difficult to create as it is based largely on experience. If a sequel comes then I don't mind it
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I can't really imagine how a sequel to this book might be written, but if the author decides to do one I really hope it turns out great and not be repetitive since it's an autobiography.
Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Post by Emma13 »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 13:05 I don't see how that could come about. The book is almost an autobiography of sorts, and autobiographies don't have sequels. I saw it as a story about how one person's character and opinions were formed throughout his life. It's about growing up, in a sense. I don't see where you could go from there.
I'd agree with this. The book covers periods from his adolescence into adulthood, from poverty to wealth, so there's little else to explore.

He writes in a fairly engaging way, though. Perhaps he could do something with interviewing other people and looking at their stories, rather than his own.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I think the author can have a continuation of this amazing novel, more like a follow-up from this one. He could delve into the lessons he learnt in his own life, which either challenged those he learnt from his gurus, or were in approval of them. He is a wise and spontaneous writer, which what makes me believe he can pull this off.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”