If you are given the chance to edit the ending of the story, how would you like it to end?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Re: If you are given the chance to edit the ending of the story, how would you like it to end?

Post by pinklover »

SPasciuti wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 00:14
sarbee wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 17:29 I'm considering the ending to be the epilogue, in which the last line is a plug for his personal website. I enjoyed the book as a whole, but I walked away from it feeling like it was all something of a sales pitch. I fully understand self-promotion, but I think links like that are better suited to the back cover or something. Seeing it in the actual text was off-putting.
I definitely know what you mean. I've seen authors do this on occasion, though it's usually in the acknowledgements or the author bio and not exactly as self-promoting as White's was. It's very situational whether I find self-promotion acceptable, and I feel like for a book that was already all about him, it was kind of a bad play.
You have a point as well. I understand it. Even if the story goes like it, I just accept him. Anyway, it will be productive if many people read it and learn from his life. :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
cshaffer17
Currently Reading: The Last Days of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshaffer17.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by cshaffer17 »

I really wanted to hear how he fell into writing. Was he still running his restaurant? Or, had he completely given all of that up to become a motivational speaker? I needed just at little bit more.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

cshaffer17 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 12:43 I really wanted to hear how he fell into writing. Was he still running his restaurant? Or, had he completely given all of that up to become a motivational speaker? I needed just at little bit more.
I believe he runs a blog on his website, so if you’re really interested in reading more I imagine there’s stuff there where he talks about some of those things. I can’t say for sure, since I haven’t read much of it at all, but yeah. Might be worth looking into for you?
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 01:01 Actually I would not want to change it, one reason is that it is a true story so I believe true stories should not be tampered with. Besides it ended well. Each story had something to give to the readers mind and the book is very promising. If it was a work of fiction then yes we can tell something about it but since it is a work of non fiction I rather say the author ended it well!
Your point captures my interest in a memoir. You are right in saying that a memoir should not be edited by someone if given a chance. The is a part of his life, so no need to edit it. I guess it is Rob's way of giving his reader a chance to explore who he is?
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

I do not think I would put any other story in the end. It seems appropriate to me how the book ends.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

eBookreviewer wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 15:37 I do not think I would put any other story in the end. It seems appropriate to me how the book ends.
I agree with you! Following him maybe in social media will help us find out the next chapter of his life. His blog is a great help. I love the way it is being ended.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

If I could edit the ending, I'll remove the part people are calling "self-promotion."

Seriously, I find nothing wrong with the mention of his webpage. I am happy to know I can get more from the author for free.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

lavellan wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 10:52
fergie wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 10:11 I think it ended on the right story, totally. But I was a bit disappointed with the last line. After this guy - a peanut seller, so not a "successful" business millionaire in the normal motivational book sense - decided to live, based on the beauty of life, the final line is: "Do you accept the fact that you’re first class?" I felt that cheapened the message. I kind of wanted the final message to be that all the striving, the success, the money etc, it's not what life's all about. That when it comes down to it, just managing to live can sometimes be the success, and finding the best in it is often what makes it worth living. That's the polar opposite of what "accepting you're first class" means to me, which is totally individualistic.

I think the book walks that line a lot. It's trying to be different and give a message about small things being important, but it's written by a motivational guru who can't quite move away himself from the idea that happiness = success = money.
I agree. The book switched between measuring success as your personal growth and your wealth/status. It would have been better to end a note that emphasized the importance of being confident and happy with yourself rather than about money and other superficial things.
I have yet to read this but it keeps popping up in the forums and feed. I like your opinion on the c9nclusion though. The importance of being happy and confident within oneself far exceeds the superficial measure of success!
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

He felt successful because of material wealth. While I feel better with my books and they do make me feel wealthy, I don't feel that its because I own them. Its more because of the knowledge in them. I can't help but wonder if Rob meant something more along those lines then he did materially.
celiiia
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celiiia.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by celiiia »

I would actually change not just the ending, but also the whole book. There's too much emphasis on materialistic wealth.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

As others have noted here, I did not like how the book essentially ended on a sales pitch of "now go and ready my other books and maybe take a class with me too". It cheapened the entire book and also undercut the point he'd just spent several hundred pages making.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I liked the story that the book ended on but I do agree with you in terms of the way it was written. It was as if the only way to measure success was based on wealth and money (hence the term first class) and I didn't like this
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 11:23 I would have loved stories on the experiences Rob had when he met the renowned world gurus. Rob has done a good job at the introduction when he briefly states the impact these gurus had on his life but I believe he didn't do their meeting and his book due justice because he barely scratches the surface with the brief introductions. I think some of these encounters should have been documented as a chapter in the book to give his work more credibility and depth in content
I have to agree with this. I think it would provide something for the reader to compare the ordinary gurus to, which White could have incorporated more lessons into. Maybe for a second book with this as a theme?
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

The ending was fine. It summarized the messages in other chapters. Death is the curtain call for all lives and a life and death experience at the end? No better way to sum it all up, if you ask me.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

I think the story ends just the way it should be. It is true that some point in our lives we may feel empty inside and seek to find the remedy. But this doesn't mean our perception of life will ever change especially when it is the most part which we worked so hard.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”