If you are given the chance to edit the ending of the story, how would you like it to end?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

If you are given the chance to edit the ending of the story, how would you like it to end?

Post by Dolor »

Are you satisfied with the ending of And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White? Let me hear your opinion.
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

I think it ended on the right story, totally. But I was a bit disappointed with the last line. After this guy - a peanut seller, so not a "successful" business millionaire in the normal motivational book sense - decided to live, based on the beauty of life, the final line is: "Do you accept the fact that you’re first class?" I felt that cheapened the message. I kind of wanted the final message to be that all the striving, the success, the money etc, it's not what life's all about. That when it comes down to it, just managing to live can sometimes be the success, and finding the best in it is often what makes it worth living. That's the polar opposite of what "accepting you're first class" means to me, which is totally individualistic.

I think the book walks that line a lot. It's trying to be different and give a message about small things being important, but it's written by a motivational guru who can't quite move away himself from the idea that happiness = success = money.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

fergie wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 10:11 I think it ended on the right story, totally. But I was a bit disappointed with the last line. After this guy - a peanut seller, so not a "successful" business millionaire in the normal motivational book sense - decided to live, based on the beauty of life, the final line is: "Do you accept the fact that you’re first class?" I felt that cheapened the message. I kind of wanted the final message to be that all the striving, the success, the money etc, it's not what life's all about. That when it comes down to it, just managing to live can sometimes be the success, and finding the best in it is often what makes it worth living. That's the polar opposite of what "accepting you're first class" means to me, which is totally individualistic.

I think the book walks that line a lot. It's trying to be different and give a message about small things being important, but it's written by a motivational guru who can't quite move away himself from the idea that happiness = success = money.
I agree. The book switched between measuring success as your personal growth and your wealth/status. It would have been better to end a note that emphasized the importance of being confident and happy with yourself rather than about money and other superficial things.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

I would have loved stories on the experiences Rob had when he met the renowned world gurus. Rob has done a good job at the introduction when he briefly states the impact these gurus had on his life but I believe he didn't do their meeting and his book due justice because he barely scratches the surface with the brief introductions. I think some of these encounters should have been documented as a chapter in the book to give his work more credibility and depth in content
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz »

I did not like how he wrote in the epilogue to go to his page and "get a free pass to the front row of your life." To me, he didn't sound arrogant in the stories because he was learning lessons, but that last sentence really irked me because he did sound arrogant. Plus, he says to pay attention to unexpected "gurus" in your life, and he acts like he's trying to force himself to be an unexpected "guru."
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

fergie wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 10:11 I think it ended on the right story, totally. But I was a bit disappointed with the last line. After this guy - a peanut seller, so not a "successful" business millionaire in the normal motivational book sense - decided to live, based on the beauty of life, the final line is: "Do you accept the fact that you’re first class?" I felt that cheapened the message. I kind of wanted the final message to be that all the striving, the success, the money etc, it's not what life's all about. That when it comes down to it, just managing to live can sometimes be the success, and finding the best in it is often what makes it worth living. That's the polar opposite of what "accepting you're first class" means to me, which is totally individualistic.

Very well said!

There's more to life than having a lot of money and in fact there are a lot of things that could make a person genuinely happy other than accumulating a lot of money.

To top it all, having too much money can't guarantee you security. Maybe you won't even sleep at the thought of your money stolen while you are asleep. ^_^
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

lavellan wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 10:52

I agree. The book switched between measuring success as your personal growth and your wealth/status. It would have been better to end a note that emphasized the importance of being confident and happy with yourself rather than about money and other superficial things.
That's a keen observation. I would like to add the importance of contentment.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 11:23 I would have loved stories on the experiences Rob had when he met the renowned world gurus. Rob has done a good job at the introduction when he briefly states the impact these gurus had on his life but I believe he didn't do their meeting and his book due justice because he barely scratches the surface with the brief introductions. I think some of these encounters should have been documented as a chapter in the book to give his work more credibility and depth in content
You want to hear Rob's real experience meeting with renowned gurus and not just a mere mention to add to his book's credibility. Great idea!
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Quartz wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 11:32 I did not like how he wrote in the epilogue to go to his page and "get a free pass to the front row of your life." To me, he didn't sound arrogant in the stories because he was learning lessons, but that last sentence really irked me because he did sound arrogant. Plus, he says to pay attention to unexpected "gurus" in your life, and he acts like he's trying to force himself to be an unexpected "guru."
Thanks for sharing what's on your mind.

It's how we digest and perceive things we wanted to think. Maybe he doesn't mean it to be "himself". It's more of a suggestion.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It did seem like the stories built in intensity. The last story was probably the best to end on. I don't think I would put any other story in the ending spot.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 16:37 It did seem like the stories built in intensity. The last story was probably the best to end on. I don't think I would put any other story in the ending spot.
Thank you for sharing your views. Your effort is highly appreciated.

While we have different opinion regarding this matter, let's wait and read what others shall say.
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

I haven't read the book yet but reading from others' comments, I agree that it's less satisfying to know that after all the author had went through in order to become the best version of himself, it's the material wealth that he puts more emphasis on as measurement of success in the end. I would probably come back to this forum to post a more precise answer to this topic after reading the book.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Actually I would not want to change it, one reason is that it is a true story so I believe true stories should not be tampered with. Besides it ended well. Each story had something to give to the readers mind and the book is very promising. If it was a work of fiction then yes we can tell something about it but since it is a work of non fiction I rather say the author ended it well!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I'm over all satisfied. No need to change or suggest to end it with other scenario. It's a personal story. For me there's nothing wrong if one day many of us will share their "Rags to Riches" story. And I pray for that. I believe that God one of his mission is to Fight Poverty. He doesn't want people to have financial struggle all their life.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
brian360
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by brian360 »

The ending of the story was alright because it explained how he struggled in his life and feels successful at the end.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”