If you are given the chance to edit the ending of the story, how would you like it to end?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Re: If you are given the chance to edit the ending of the story, how would you like it to end?

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I believe everyone sees things differently from the next person. As much as other readers appreciated the book's ending, there are others that beg to differ, which is a great since everyone is entitled their own opinions and our creativeness is not the same. I, on the other hand, liked how the book was ended. The author was inspiration through out the book and in the end proved to everyone that anyone could be successful, no matter how struggling they were before.
Annogor
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogor.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Annogor »

The book ended well, but could have been better. It would have been nice if he had ended on a note on the simplicity of life and how wealth and riches are no measure for achieving inner growth. That what the book was about, relationships, life simplicity, inner wealth and how they affect the current of your personal growth.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

In many ways, the book feels like only half of what we were promised at the beginning. I was looking forward to reading more about how Rob meets the Gurus he meets later on in his spiritual journey. Even his encounter with Margaret is towards the end, more than 80% into the book. So if I could change the ending, I'd add a bit more of the spiritual gurus so it doesn't feel like the author mislead the readers.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

I would end with a bigger, better, more badass, showstopping Margaret story, one that she's worthy of. Her story needs some work. She needs to have a voice. And a bigger story for her would be the way to go, especially if it's the last thing you hear.
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

Dolor wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 12:42
Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 11:23 I would have loved stories on the experiences Rob had when he met the renowned world gurus. Rob has done a good job at the introduction when he briefly states the impact these gurus had on his life but I believe he didn't do their meeting and his book due justice because he barely scratches the surface with the brief introductions. I think some of these encounters should have been documented as a chapter in the book to give his work more credibility and depth in content
You want to hear Rob's real experience meeting with renowned gurus and not just a mere mention to add to his book's credibility. Great idea!

I agree. It just left me completely unsatisfied and disappointed with the book.
samiat
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by samiat »

i feel like the book end well, though i believe the author could have done better.hope to get more of your book.i am a big fan :) :)
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I think the ending is awesome. I true story about someone who cheated death. You can't get a better ending than to give us all hope at beating illness and living a long life.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

Quartz wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 11:32 I did not like how he wrote in the epilogue to go to his page and "get a free pass to the front row of your life." To me, he didn't sound arrogant in the stories because he was learning lessons, but that last sentence really irked me because he did sound arrogant. Plus, he says to pay attention to unexpected "gurus" in your life, and he acts like he's trying to force himself to be an unexpected "guru."
That phrasing really cheapens the message. The book builds up the idea of finding teachers everywhere in your life, and looking for the unexpected lessons, but then it sounds like he just wants to sell you something at the end. Really leaves you with a sour taste.
ValentineT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valentinet.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by ValentineT »

Such type of books that seem to emulate an autobiography, I feel don't need a certain type of ending. This is because it's the author's life, therefore the ending will be fully dependant on the author's life.
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by zilizopita1998 »

Having read, Robert White's, And Then I Met Margaret back in high school, I was thrilled to find it here. From A humble background, Rob become a successful person in business development such as in real estate but he then realizes that he lacks something. He feels signs of emptiness.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I agree with what somebody had said about wanting to hear stories about Rob meeting guru's. In my opinion it kind of takes away from his story and the impact of it. By not talking about those experiences, he took away from his book and took away some interest
Ephi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ephi »

Actually I would not want to change it, one reason is that it is a true story so I believe true stories should not be tampered with. Besides it ended well. Each story had something to give to the readers mind and the book is very promising. If it was a work of fiction then yes we can tell something about it but since it is a work of non fiction I rather say the author ended it well!
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

One of the things that I would remove from the book is the address to the author's website. It lowers the quality of the book making it just a tool of advertising for his motivational speaking business.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

The ending was just perfect! It was actually the icing on the top of a very delicious cake. That story made me think hard about our attitude towards life (all of them did, but this one really made an impact). The way an ordinary man lived, simply because he chose not to die gives a burning example of the wonders of maintaining a positive mindset.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I think the ending is perfect in itself, and I can not imagine about an alternative ending better than this. So I don't think of editing it.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”