Who is your favourite Ordinary Guru in the book and why?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: Who is your favourite Ordinary Guru in the book and why?

Post by Al Chakauya »

My favourite is aunt Teresa. She made young Rob happy at her expense. She was a nice woman who was rather unfortunate. She did not give up on her life even though the whole small town was " laughing" at her. I am sure most people would get a life lesson from aunt Teresa. For me, she is indeed a queen.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

My favorite ordinary guru was Debbie, Mr. White's student who decided that she was smarter than she thought she was. In financial coaching I might ask a client who is facing a difficult decision, "What would a smart money manager do in this situation?" In the realm of psychology, they have asked kids to make smart decisions by saying, "What would Dora the Explorer do?" or "What would Batman do?" You'd be surprised how much easier it is for them to come up with a good answer when the question is asked in this way.

This chapter has a distinct fake-it-till-you-make-it vibe, but the outcome for Rob White's life was motivating for me to get unstuck and start acting like I'm smart, focused, and determined (even when I don't feel like I am).
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

It definitely is when Rob's wig fell off from his head. I love the fact that whatever he thought people would appreciate more was not most important during that talk.(Giving a very inspiring speech). His frustrated reaction and the way he finally responded by admitting to his audience who he really was really touched me.
The incident brought him to accept who he really was and not who he was acting.
That was my favourite part of the whole book. :tiphat:
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

jaylperry wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 20:18 My favorite ordinary guru was Debbie, Mr. White's student who decided that she was smarter than she thought she was. In financial coaching I might ask a client who is facing a difficult decision, "What would a smart money manager do in this situation?" In the realm of psychology, they have asked kids to make smart decisions by saying, "What would Dora the Explorer do?" or "What would Batman do?" You'd be surprised how much easier it is for them to come up with a good answer when the question is asked in this way.

This chapter has a distinct fake-it-till-you-make-it vibe, but the outcome for Rob White's life was motivating for me to get unstuck and start acting like I'm smart, focused, and determined (even when I don't feel like I am).
Yeah right. I can relate to this matter when sometimes I thought that I am smarter than anybody else but someone who is smarter than me who just keep silent. I have some experienced when children make the right point yet neglected. their voice sometimes are right.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

jenjayfromSA wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 10:35 My best was definitely Pete. He comes across with such vigour and enthusiasm. He chooses to live - but he worked at it too, listening to the doctor, taking exercise etc. He took control of his life. He's a real inspiration.
I’m so glad someone else really likes Pete for this reason. I remember reading it and thinking that there was a real opportunity for it to be misconstrued as a “miracle” all cause he just “decided” in a mental kind of way and I really hated the idea that it might be seen as something that came from him just thinking and not doing. And the doing was the most important piece of Pete’s story for me.

He got up after he’d been doing all of these unhealthy things and changed his entire life around by taking action rather than simply hoping for things to get better. I honestly thought that was beautiful and I wish more of us thought that way, realizing that we have to step up and take responsibility for ourselves and our choices and not just leave it up to wishing.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

My favorite guru is the one from the 3rd chapter, it taught Rob about the importance of honesty and integrity. The man who dropped the penny in the jar didn't utter a word but he gave Rob one of the most meaningful lessons.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 15:09 My favorite guru is the one from the 3rd chapter, it taught Rob about the importance of honesty and integrity. The man who dropped the penny in the jar didn't utter a word but he gave Rob one of the most meaningful lessons.
Yeah! I love this chapter as well. Sometimes, Honesty is very hard to do when nobody is looking at you. Your idea makes me remember of a preacher who said: :hand: "WHO ARE YOU WHEN YOU ARE ALONE?"
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

Without a doubt, Margaret.
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Kenko Betty »

R-g-R wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 01:29 While I love that the real estate book and Guru were suddenly brought into Bob’s life at exactly the right time, and I appreciated his student’s question spurring him on personally, my favourite is the purveyor of The Lilac Mint, Mrs Kennedy.

He had no idea who she was and felt so out of his depth and comfort zone, that it is just beautiful for her to have such insight and wisdom, and be willing to share it!

It was a truly special and inspiring moment.
I couldn't agree more with you. I believe she marked a turning point in the book (at least mirroring my life with the stories, I believe I am at this point😊😊😊).
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

eBookreviewer wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 14:33 Without a doubt, Margaret.
Your right! His turning point is Margaret and he give Margaret the honor upon using her as Rob's title in writing this book. Nice one! :tiphat:
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Cheers, all :)
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I don't want to choose! But if I have to I would say...Debbie was my favorite guru. Because of what she said to Rob his life catapulted in a completely different direction. He literally switched to a polar opposite career! Debbie inspired me to recognize there are risks in life worth taking and all I needed to do was first believe that there are no "limits", where my potential is concerned. I need to start thinking of myself as "smarter than I think I am" and only then can I accomplish the things I am afraid to do. I once had a coworker tell me, "you are smarter than you let on" and after having that chat with her I started to demonstrate that I could take on more responsibilities than I was before. Like Debbie, I used to just do "average" work because I didn't recognize my own potential to be greater and didn't think anyone would notice, but boy was I wrong. I am so glad someone noticed and steered me into the right direction like Rob did for Debbie and as she did for him as well.
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

The man from Vitim's and Dr. Tucker show that subtlety and kindness can effect more change than sanctimonious rantings can.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

The Janitor because it reminded me of my father-in-law before he was my father-in-law.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Wow, thank you all for your responses!
I think Aunt Teresa is still in the lead but with less of a margin.
There’s a lot of appreciation for Pete, Phillippa, Debbie, Margaret, the candy store customer, the professor, and who could forget the deer comment and deer....or the wig!?

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”