Did you like the "Myth I Believed" feature of the book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Did you like the "Myth I Believed" feature of the book?

Post by AliceofX »

Personally, it always intrigued me and made me want to keep reading the next chapter. But did you always agree with the author about what the lesson of the story was? Would it have been better if he left it to the reader to figure it out for themselves?
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

When I read a story or listen to one I often draw many lessons some of which are not obvious to the story teller or narrator . To give his book sequence and logical flow of content I think it was okay for Rob to give us his personal lessons from the story .Since it is possible the lessons the reader draws are not the ones Rob learnt from his personal life because we are all very different in our perception and interactions with the environment. In the same wavelength it is possible for readers not to draw any important lessons from the story depending on perhaps lack of thinking capacity or ability to decode the lessons in a story or even lack of time.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Definitely. It kept me interested and also broke the book up into bite-sized chunks. Plus it makes it easy to go back and find a specific chapter, which I think I'll end up doing quite a bit. It actually reminded me a lot of Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.
Vice_jade1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vice-jade1.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Vice_jade1 »

Honestly, I think it, the author meant for us to draw some of our own conclusions from the book because we do live each of our own lives differently. Being said he may have helped guided us through his own lessons he learned but I believe the overall look was for us to be motivated and take some account into our own lives with the lesson and connect to the book that way.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

I liked the lessons at the beginning of each chapter. I enjoyed knowing what the author gained from the story but that did not stop me from thinking more about the story and gathering my own lessons.
peace starts with a smile...
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I actually liked the way the book was organized. The opening myth alerts the reader to the challenge that is coming. And the repetition of the myth and the transformed belief at the end of the chapters helped me review each story in my mind. I think it is an effective tool.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
PriyaRD
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by PriyaRD »

I liked the idea of the author stating what he believed in the opening of the chapter and then end the story what he discovered after learning. It gives more meaning to the chapters.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Eva Darrington wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 16:54 I actually liked the way the book was organized. The opening myth alerts the reader to the challenge that is coming. And the repetition of the myth and the transformed belief at the end of the chapters helped me review each story in my mind. I think it is an effective tool.
This is a great point! In terms of learning and placing the myths into our long-term memory, repeating the myths and picking them apart together is best to help readers remember, rather than just assuming the reader will get the main points!
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I always think that it is best for authors to allow their audience to make their own inferences on the lesson of the book. This allows the lessons to be tailored to fit the reader as opposed to a "one size fits all" situation. When reading the book I did notice that he would state what the lesson was and it was a little discouraging. I noticed that the book in and of itself is already not applicable to everyone. So, to then tell the reader what lesson they should be taking away from each chapter was further narrowing.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html

Post by djordjesvonja »

That is just author's opinion and his life experience. Offcourse we all had different opinions and a lot of us did not felt what author felt. I for example find myself in many of this situations and offcourse I also did not react like writer is, but i think that his answers on most of myths are right.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I did really enjoy this aspect of the book, especially because it subtly prompts readers to look at their own beliefs and consider whether they fit the category of myth or not and to realize that learning a truth from it is a really inspirational and useful thing. I also thought it was engaging and creative and really appreciated that aspect of it.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I enjoyed this feature of the book. It helped open my eyes about what I was told to believe as a child.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I felt like this helped me really tune into the lesson of each story. It also kept me extremely interested in what the author had to share. I struggled to put the book down because I wanted to know how he got to a point where he changed what he believed.
Madison Degraffenreid
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

I liked, infact it kept me intrigued to keep reading so as to know what new myth and lesson are in the next chapter.
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

I loved it actually. It made me interested in knowing how the myth was changed from an excuse to a lesson.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”