Does Anyone Else Struggle to Identify with the Author?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Re: Does Anyone Else Struggle to Identify with the Author?

Post by ktom »

I was fortunate enough to live the life of luxury way back when, so, yes, I can relate to the author's way of life. But, it was such a false way of living in my opinion, so much so that I have been following an extreme minimalist way of life for the last three years. For me, things make sense now but, I can still appreciate what he´s been through.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

I see where you're coming from with the question - the author does come off as completely entitled in some of the stories. I think he IS entitled, certainly, with that lifestyle and those opportunities. And he doesn't always do a good job of couching his understanding somewhere in the story. But I still think there's a lot of lessons that can be learned from his stories if you separate his entitled-self out of the scenario. I can still learn things! And I feel like that's taking back my control and taking him out of the driver's seat.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I could relate to the author and his message more at the beginning. As the common consensus seems to be around here, he seemed to become more arrogant as his success came. I know that's pretty common, but people with a bit of humility are much more likable.
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

I definitely didn't relate with the author, however I do think that I don't relate to most autobiographies I read and that it's not necessary for a good reading experience. It's usually hard to relate unless you've the same background in terms of where you live and family life experiences, for example growing up in an Indian family would be very different from a Chinese one but that wouldn't stop me reading and enjoying autobiographies from people from diverse backgrounds.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I can relate to the author. His life is common from rags to riches story.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Greatview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Greatview »

I do not hold anything about Rob white. He still mingles with the commoners.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

A friend recommended reading this and I was debating if I should but hearing what others have said I am somewhat glad I hadn't. The first half of the book, focusing on his youth and lessons learned sounds promising, authentic and like something I could connect to. However, the lessons learned while in adulthood - how the knowledge and realizations are obtained: lending out expensive cars, running with bulls, or helicopter rides is a bit unrelatable to me and I think it would make the work hard to finish. I am not knocking his lifestyle by any means but it is a very select lifestyle that I could not connect to. Am I the only one who feels this way? Is it a hard to finish read?
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

I think it makes perfect sense that not all of us can relate to helicopter rides and Porches... I have no context and zero reference point for how those experiences feel so why would the author experiencing those things help me relate.
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

I think that Rob has written a book that will appeal to everyone. Whether they are just starting out on the raod to riches , have some money or are very wealthy. It's brilliant to know that when I have a but more money for myself, I can go back to this book and reread it, finding new wisdom from it's pages that relate to my new position.
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

His stories seem like he's experienced things I could only ever dream of . But while his reality is far from my grasp,I think the purpose of the novel is not only to empathize with him, but also to see life from his point of view.
Butterflybookworm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 2392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflybookworm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Butterflybookworm »

I definitely struggled to identify with the author. From the beginning of the book where he basically listed all these famous people he visited I just couldn't identify with him because his lifestyle was so different.
Butterflybookworm
:bookclub-square:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I had difficulty relating to the author, or possibly a more accurate assessment is I felt like he had difficulty relating to me. I began to wonder what kind of audience he was trying to tailor his book to and it seemed like it was more geared toward people who want wealth and extravagance. Many times I felt like he was showcasing his exotic experiences as a means to reiterate his success and wealth, as if to say "follow my advice and this will be your life." I like a good success story but a truly humble attitude is what makes a rags-to-riches tale inspiring.
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 15:30 I am not holding anything against Rob White personally; in fact, I am very happy for him and his successes. However, I did struggle to empathize with him as he was learning lessons that involved running with the bulls, declining helicopter rides, doing tricks in a biplane, and lending out his Porsche. I related more with him during the first half of his book (his childhood), which I would argue made its lessons feel more effective. Again, I am not disparaging his wealth, I'm only exploring the relative nature of his lessons. What do you all think?

-Gunnar
It all depends on whether the person is experiencing universal struggles or rich person (sometimes called first world) problems. It can be completely alienating to have someone complain about something that only applies when you are wealthy. But the wealthy are also human, and have many of the same struggles and personal journeys as the rest of us. There needs to be a strong anchor in humanity.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Gunnar Ohberg wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 15:30 I am not holding anything against Rob White personally; in fact, I am very happy for him and his successes. However, I did struggle to empathize with him as he was learning lessons that involved running with the bulls, declining helicopter rides, doing tricks in a biplane, and lending out his Porsche. I related more with him during the first half of his book (his childhood), which I would argue made its lessons feel more effective. Again, I am not disparaging his wealth, I'm only exploring the relative nature of his lessons. What do you all think?

-Gunnar
Sounds like the author gets to explore his psyche in ways not available to everyone, and that is always a little eye-roll inducing! First world problems and all that. But then one can only tell one's story from one's own perspective. I guess the important thing is that he did learn the lessons. But come on... running with the bulls?! Lunatic ;)
Bookdoodle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookdoodle »

Rob White is an excellent writer, he wrote beautifully
He is an exceptional focused writer with outstanding explaining :D :D detail. What a read amazing

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”