How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Re: How do you feel about the present tense in the book?

Post by ayoomisope »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:48 I think quite a few authors have used present tense especially in stream of consciousness narration. So saying , I think the tense could be an intentional ruse , possibly a symbol to signify the ever changing , transforming nature of our lives, fates and characters. Past tense would be a dead end , fatalistic attitude to life, rendering flat characters with no scope for growth. However being in the present demands us to be aware , to be vigilant, to adapt to the vicissitudes of life.
Interesting. I've never thought of it this way. Your opinion on how the present provides an option to adapt and a possibility of growth could sometimes be desirable to some authors.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by DustinPBrown »

StarsAtNight wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 10:23 (Are you talking about a specific book?)
[This is really my opinion]
While a majority of writers and readers start out with past tense because it appears to be easier, some people have started moving on onto present tense because it's truly simpler; you may find it's a lot easier to use writing techniques such as metaphors and similes, as well as describing settings, feelings, etc.
This is a good point. Sometimes when you're writing, it can be really awkward to phrase some things, especially if you have to delve into the future or the past within the past tense. That's when you get into the infamous "had had had" territories, ha ha.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

ayoomisope wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 05:52
Jeyasivananth wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 09:48 I think quite a few authors have used present tense especially in stream of consciousness narration. So saying , I think the tense could be an intentional ruse , possibly a symbol to signify the ever changing , transforming nature of our lives, fates and characters. Past tense would be a dead end , fatalistic attitude to life, rendering flat characters with no scope for growth. However being in the present demands us to be aware , to be vigilant, to adapt to the vicissitudes of life.
Interesting. I've never thought of it this way. Your opinion on how the present provides an option to adapt and a possibility of growth could sometimes be desirable to some authors.
Thanks.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I liked that it was written in the present tense because it made me feel that I was right there with them.
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

I felt that it took a bit of getting used to, so it wasn't my favourite choice at the beginning. However, when I got into the hang of it I did like it, it felt made the narrative more dynamic and lively. It's also now a feature of the book that I vividly remember.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

Hheaton wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 13:26 I feel like present tense narration is the new trend in writing. I am reading more and more books written in that tense...

...and it drives me nuts. Perhaps I am a traditionalist who likes the comfort of past tense, but I can't help it. I think the present tense does give it this sense of "in the now" and urgency. However, I find that I keep looking for the author to slip up and lose their consistency. Maybe that's the English teacher in me. And when I am too busy trying to look for the verb tense mistake, I lose the storyline - the ultimate crime in reading.

So if I had to decide how I felt about it, I would have to say that I would discourage writers from using it unless they do so PERFECTLY. Otherwise, it sounds like a mess to me.
I'm with you. I really don't like reading in this tense, unless it's microfiction.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think the use of present tense is suitable for this book. There are many technical details about fly fishing and in a book that would have been only about fly fishing, such descriptions would have been given in the present tense. What I am trying to say is that it is perhaps a matter of register and finding the correct balance between fact and fiction. I see the present tense in this book having more than one function (generic, habitual, etc.). For me it is a good choice and I also noticed the use of the past tense for flashbacks so the balance between the two was a good thing.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

This can be a risky choice for an author, as they really have to be able to stay in the moment on behalf of their narrator. I am curious to read how it was handled in this book!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

cristinaro wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 05:54 I think the use of present tense is suitable for this book. There are many technical details about fly fishing and in a book that would have been only about fly fishing, such descriptions would have been given in the present tense. What I am trying to say is that it is perhaps a matter of register and finding the correct balance between fact and fiction. I see the present tense in this book having more than one function (generic, habitual, etc.). For me it is a good choice and I also noticed the use of the past tense for flashbacks so the balance between the two was a good thing.
I feel the same way. Using present tense and while utilizing past tense for flashbacks is a great tool.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Using the present tense in books is one of those little things that irks me unless there is a good reason for it. If the book is written like a diary, then it makes sense, but the choice of present tense for storytelling seems odd to me without a good reason.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
JPbrar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpbrar.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by JPbrar »

I enjoyed the author's use of present tense in the book, as it gave a sense of immediacy to the novel. You could sense the change in the characters throughout the novel, and it allowed me, as the reader, to better empathize/connect with the characters.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I don't often find books written in present tense, but I personally find them a lot more difficult to get involved in and the story has to be worth it . I much prefer past tense to read.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Generally I’d shy away from present tense because, as others have mentioned, it is very easy to mess up. If the author really did pull it off, then I wouldn’t mind trying to read this one, as tense should fade into the subconscious as you read.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

Katherine Smith wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 16:07 I like present tense because you are experiencing the environment with the characters. I like that past tense would be good for historical novels or genres similar to that. I think that some people are used to the past tense that when a book is written in present tense it makes it more difficult to read.
I 100% agree with you, I enjoy experiencing the story along with the characters, especially with books full of actions - I feel like it helps with the pacing more often than not. As a kid reading an action-packed book written in the present tense, I felt more adhered to the characters and stressed with them over their problems.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The style here is one that describes the scene while the occurrence is in progress. We are only accustomed to narrations of stories that already happened, as though a recollection, a reminiscence. And as we always hear the start of the story "Once upon a time" then it must be told in the past tense.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”