Did you foresee Amanda's death? - The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Stephanie Keener
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swisskeener.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo! & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Re: Did you foresee Amanda's death? - The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Stephanie Keener »

Not at all! Amanda’s death was a complete surprise. For me, it came out of nowhere. This was one of the things that I did not like about the book. It would’ve been much more plausible for Veronica to be the one that died. The storm scene when Veronica was traveling in the plane seemed to be leading the reader into thinking her character was about to die.
kaitlynrobbins
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlynrobbins.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by kaitlynrobbins »

I also thought that Veronica was going to be the one to die in the plane. I did foresee someone dying but did not see it being Amanda. Even after the car accident I thought she must have been okay and would just go to the hospital. Took me completely by surprise.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Amanda's death just came out of the blue. Even when the accident took place I hoped she would end up in a hospital fighting for her life rather then dying .
Avonlea
Favorite Book: Sense and Sensibility
Currently Reading: The Power of a Positive No
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avonlea.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Avonlea »

I did not foresee Amanda’s death at all. I think the author built the tension and suspense well. The storm developed into a threat towards all the main characters who were all out and about in different circumstances. Like other readers, my main concern was for Veronica on the plane. So, the sudden realisation that Amanda’s accident had been fatal was a complete shock and brought tears to my eyes.

Amanda, was the character throughout the whole of the novel who was so deeply aware that life is precious and fragile. She was constantly worrying about her husband’s safety, due to the dangerous nature of his job, and worrying about how she and her children would cope if they lost him. It was such a heartbreaking tragedy that, having got her husband back home safely, it was she who came to harm, so close to her home, so suddenly and so unnecessarily.

I thought the shock and impact of this tragedy for all involved was very poignantly and sensitively written.
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

I did not see that coming! Once it reached the part where Veronica was on the plane I thought for sure we were going to lose Veronica! Then suddenly Amanda dies?? It just broke my heart!
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Me too! I honestly thought Veronica would have been the one that died. When I reached the ran-out-in-the-rain-in-the-middle-of-a-storm part I was like "Oh, no!" I for sure thought they both were going to die. Honestly, I wasn't expecting Amanda's end before that, though.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I didn't!
Honestly I didn't think this would be the type of book where someone would die. Maybe Mike at some point, but never one of the women. And even then, Amanda would have been the last one I would've thought would die. Even during her last chapter I thought she would be okay, that she would wake up in the hospital, banged up but alive. It wasn't until Sophie said that thing about funerals that it hit me! It was heartbreaking.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
tafta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tafta.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by tafta »

Amanda's death was a shocker. I cannot get over trying to think why someone with young children and a husband who needed support be the one to pass on. Very sad indeed.
Budhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-budhal.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Budhal »

Even I thought the same but Amanda's death was really unexpected and more heart breaking considering the fact that she had two little children left behind. I felt sad reading that part of the book.
What isn't said is as important as what is said.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

I didn’t foresee it, and it was definitely a heart-wrenching twist! I thought one of the other girls might be affected by the storm, but Amanda was the last one I would have expected to die. It was very sad, especially because of the situation with her husband and young kids.
martinaunwagu
Favorite Book: 2612 Cherryhill Lane
Currently Reading: The Raven's Trail (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martinaunwagu.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by martinaunwagu »

Not at all, I was bracing myself for Veronica death but Amanda died instead and I cried when I got to that part. What Sophia did for her funeral was lovely and the tears just kept flowing for me.
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

OMG i couldn't forsee that. I couldn't foresee any death. Her death made me drop the book for about two days. I literraly mourned her character. But ultimately, it made me realise that that's life.
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

Barbie_sidhu wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 04:17 Amanda's death just came out of the blue. Even when the accident took place I hoped she would end up in a hospital fighting for her life rather then dying .
Exactly what i hoped for as well
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

The fight is very typical even in other fiction stories, however, I did not expect Amanda to die. I thought maybe she will recover from the car crash.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I had a premonition when the author had described her state of mind and the weather at that time. I was getting anxious when I came to that part. I was hoping that Amanda would survive the crash, sadly she didn't.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”