Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of " The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by Doziesixtus »

To be honest, I didn't like the book. I found it difficult to figure out the purpose of the book other than spectating the different life background of the five ladies.
martinaunwagu
Favorite Book: 2612 Cherryhill Lane
Currently Reading: The Raven's Trail (Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martinaunwagu.html
Latest Review: The Cadence of Excellence by Matthew McDarby

Post by martinaunwagu »

I like the fact that women could come together and become good friends, over a sport that will be consider a man's thing. I don't like the fact that Amanda died but i believe it added originality to the story. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I will recommend this book because, it has a lot to offer on the topic of friendship.
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I reviewed this book recently and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. What I liked the most about this book were the characters, they well written and relatable, and so funny!
I was sad about the ending, but the author handled it beautifully and I was left feeling satisfied and happy when I finished reading. I wish I could read more about the characters and what they are doing now.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
funmilayo_h
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funmilayo-h.html
Latest Review: Battlemind by Michael Waddington

Post by funmilayo_h »

When I first got the chance to review this book, I thought it was going to be boring. I mean , Who writes stories about fishing?, The characters were unique in their own way and I'm sure readers will be able to at least relate with one of them.
I rated it a 4 out of 4 stars because I had never read anything like it and loved how the author was able to intertwine life experiences with something as ordinary as Fly fishing.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

Five women were too many for me.I wish their stories could be condensed into one.
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it intriguing and highly engaging. The characters were fun and seemed original enough. Learning about fly fishing just made it better. The author did an amazing job.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

I definitely enjoyed the book. It took me down the memory lane (early 2000s) when I was in highschool. That was the appeal it had on me.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
Nidhi_391005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-391005.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Nidhi_391005 »

I learnt about a sport. Before reading Reel Sisters I wasn't even aware of fly fishing. So I felt that was amazing.
Also, I loved the characters.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I loved the emphasis the author placed on values of love and friendship, and how good friends can help you overcome your fears. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
_Bokeh
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by _Bokeh »

I reviewed this book a while back and rated it four out of 4 stars. I loved how the author built the theme of sisterhood cemented around fly fishing. This book should encourage women to support each other more and cultivate meaningful, genuine and lasting friendships.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

The book was good to read on a Sunday afternoon. I rated it 4 out of 4. I did learn about a new sport and the compassionate women in the book made me happy.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

The book was interesting and I was able to relate to some characters. What I liked most was the sport of fly fishing because it was new to me and I found it interesting. I rated Reel sisters 3 out of 4 stars and I would recommend because it's really helpful especially to people who want to learn about friendship.
Amethyst21
Currently Reading: think like a monk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amethyst21.html
Latest Review: Black Beach by Olivia Rana

Post by Amethyst21 »

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the friendship of the women and learning about fly-fishing. The ending was sad and unexpexted but that is life for you. I recommend this book to women of all ages or anyone that ones a great story about friendship.
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

Well, for me I'd give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved how the plot explored the beauty of true friendship among those girls. It always gives me that sense of belonging when I'm around people who really cares about me. Sophie, Rose and melody, their friendship was a great deal to me
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:02 Oh man, it seems like I might be the only one who really disliked this book. :/ It has the dubious honor of being the first book I've ever rated one star on OBC. My review hasn't been published yet, but the short version is that I couldn't stand the awkward dialogue, the childish behavior of the grown women in the story, and the lack of overarching conflict in the plot. Was it just me?
No, it just means that you don't follow the herd and are an independent thinker, which is refreshing ! I appreciate your point of view.
Contrastingly, I wanted to rate it 3.5 for detailed fishing language but I appreciated the positivity throughout :)

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”