Which character do you relate to the most?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Re: Which character do you relate to the most?

Post by Yoli García »

My favorite character was Rose because she is a listener, imparts wisdom, has wit, and shares her cabin with her friends. However, I related to Amanda a bit because she is a military spouse.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

I have similarities with Sophie and Melody. I am a tomboy just like Sophie and I like to get away to find my self and sort things out just like Melody.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Miriam Molina wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:02 Now that you ask, I think the author meant for the readers (women especially) to find themselves in all the five girls. They are in different stages in their lives. They have all experienced loss. They all emerge from the storm as different from before.

Regarding Melody, not that I have any tats or body piercings, but I too sometimes need to get away to find myself. I'm still looking, lol.
You bring up a good point. The characters are in different stages in their lives. Even the two younger woemn, Amanda and Melody, are at different stages. Amanda is very young yet she already is married with two children, whereas Melody is a free spirit.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 23:41 I think I am a mix of all the women. I suffered Sophie's broken heart. Like Rose, I used to have a home where my friends could stay with or without notice. I also enjoyed some time as a successful career woman like Veronica. I now experience Amanda's harried-head-of-the-household worries. I'll let you guess how I relate to Melody, LOL!
In retrospection, I too feel i have gone through the conflicts of most of these characters in my life. Although as a mother of too, my immediate identification is with Amanda.I guess we are on the same boat then!!
In hindsight, I think the writer has chosen women from different age groups, each representing a certain timeline of all individuals life, so that we may all identify ourselves in these women.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:20
Miriam Molina wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 23:41 I think I am a mix of all the women. I suffered Sophie's broken heart. Like Rose, I used to have a home where my friends could stay with or without notice. I also enjoyed some time as a successful career woman like Veronica. I now experience Amanda's harried-head-of-the-household worries. I'll let you guess how I relate to Melody, LOL!
In retrospection, I too feel i have gone through the conflicts of most of these characters in my life. Although as a mother of too, my immediate identification is with Amanda.I guess we are on the same boat then!!
In hindsight, I think the writer has chosen women from different age groups, each representing a certain timeline of all individuals life, so that we may all identify ourselves in these women.
I wonder if the author created characters from different age groups to showcase women at different phases of their life, or if it was to show that women can become close friends with people from a different generation.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

Snowflake wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 08:55 I really related to Melody, struggling to find her artistic way in the world.
Whoa, that sounds like me (Winky face) :)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Miriam Molina wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:02 Now that you ask, I think the author meant for the readers (women especially) to find themselves in all the five girls. They are in different stages in their lives. They have all experienced loss. They all emerge from the storm as different from before.

Regarding Melody, not that I have any tats or body piercings, but I too sometimes need to get away to find myself. I'm still looking, lol.
I think we will always be looking...

I think it was a smart move on the part of the author because this book can offer something to women at virtually all stages of life.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I relate to both Sophie and Amanda. I'm a struggling single mother, but I also have to tend to the chickens and get other foodstuffs from the nearby forest.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I relate more with Amanda as I am also a single mother.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html

Post by R-Myra »

I can relate to Sophie because my family calls me 'tomboy' and I see a lot of similarities between her character and mine.
-R
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I related to Amanda the most because that’s how I envision my future. I expect a happy busy life with my husband out flying (literally flying, not fly fishing), and needing an outlet for creativity and relaxation. I’m thankful for the friendships I already have, but would love to diversify as the characters in this book have so beautifully accomplished.
Katepcell13
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katepcell13.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Katepcell13 »

I think I can relate to Sophie the most with her tomboy ways. I was the same way growing up and I still have some of those attributes now.
Kaliarii
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H.
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Kaliarii »

I can definitely relate best with Amanda; I'm still adjusting to being at home with my kiddo's, and juggling caring for them with taking care of my relationship with my husband, as well as myself and my needs.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I felt a connection with Amanda. My husband is a soldier and even if he hasn't been deployed, he has been gone for long periods of time. I shared some of her stress and loneliness, people often don't understand if they haven't gone through the same situation. I liked her because she always tried to be strong for her family and friends despite the emotional pain she was going through.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I found ways to relate to a little bit of all of them, to be honest. I agree with the point made in a previous comment that the author really intended us to find ourselves in all of the writers. To me the girls really represented the journey of the Fool and all aspects of life lessons people tend to learn.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”