The Role of Fly Fishing

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
aaldaco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaldaco.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: The Role of Fly Fishing

Post by aaldaco »

I believe the author was right to incorporate details about fly fishing, especially since many may not know what it is. I know that I am no expert on the subject. However, there is such thing as an overwhelming amount of information. Details should be kept to a minimum so as not to get in the way of the overall story.
jamertin2963
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamertin2963.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jamertin2963 »

I thought I was going to be bored by the fly fishing element but I think it turned out to be a pretty essential and interesting part of the story!
polar_palm_tree
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Tofu From Scratch
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polar-palm-tree.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by polar_palm_tree »

I loved the focus on fly fishing. I suppose that is because I started fly fishing about the time I could walk. Being out on the water, dropping a fly perfectly where I want it, and then watching a fish snap at it is magical. All of the senses are as soothing as the water bubbling by. Even the annoying little bugs take a back seat when the fish are biting.

Reading a novel with fly fishing seamlessly embedded into a great story was an amazing experience. I enjoyed the book in that it also featured strong female characters. I love that it broke the usual stereotypes. I sent the book to my dad, who got me started fly fishing over fifty years ago.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I enjoyed the author getting into the technicalities of fly fishing as I was learning new stuff and her enthusiasm was infectious
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bookdoodle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookdoodle »

This book was wonderful
I live right across the street from the Sacramento River where I watch fly Fishing daily
what a lovely and unique book. One of my favorites
Book doodle
Cvogel5487
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvogel5487.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Cvogel5487 »

I think the importance of Fly fishing in this novel is really what brings the four women together in their friendship. The author's website states there are "five main tackle components: the fly, the leader, the fly line, the rod, and the reel. These components work most efficiently when they are balanced, or matched to one another'" - L.L. Bean
This is how each of the women in this story come together. They may not have ever been friends with each other if it were not for their interests in fly fishing. And because all five of the women have their own personalities and their own ways of coping, they balance each other out and build each other up. This is a great story of friendship and growth and its all thanks to their unique love of fly fishing.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

Given that not many people fly fish any more I think its a great thing. It allows people to learn and possibly keep the concept of fly fishing alive. Also in some ways I think when a book goes into deal about a hobby many don't know about it in its self becomes a character of it own.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 11:59 Before now, I never heard about the sport, fly fishing. Reading this book has enlightened me about this recreational activity. I like it when you learn something new from a book. It's a perfect theme.
I had heard of fly fishing before reading the book, but learned so much more after finishing this novel. I also enjoyed what I learned from reading The Reel Sisters. And I think the author did a nice job of not being too boring or excessively technical.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I only knew a little bit about fly fishing and I love books that manage to teach me something new -90% of the time it makes great conversation topics. And a lot of the time, whatever I read about comes up in real life eventually. I thought it fit the theme of the book very well. I agree with some of the comments here that discuss how fly fishing is mostly seen as a male sport, but it's for women to. Women are all about bonding and fly fishing is an optimal way to do that, if not 'unique' in this case and it did make the book more memorable and as a nature girl myself, I enjoyed reading about it and want to get out and try it for myself now. After all, we could all use some peace and quite time right?
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

I like the author's originality in using the theme of fly fishing - a sport typically identified with the male gender - to describe the components that hold a female friendship together. However, subtler inferences to fly fishing could have equally driven the point home without the need to go into much detail about the sport.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

I don't mind it when authors do this. I will occasionally skim read if its a topic I really have NO interest in at all, but if its well written, it can sometimes enable you to develop a new interest, or at least learn about something you never thought you would before.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
michmc3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=3943">my sisters keeper</a>
Currently Reading: Hungry Heart
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by michmc3 »

polar_palm_tree wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 20:05 I loved the focus on fly fishing. I suppose that is because I started fly fishing about the time I could walk. Being out on the water, dropping a fly perfectly where I want it, and then watching a fish snap at it is magical. All of the senses are as soothing as the water bubbling by. Even the annoying little bugs take a back seat when the fish are biting.

Reading a novel with fly fishing seamlessly embedded into a great story was an amazing experience. I enjoyed the book in that it also featured strong female characters. I love that it broke the usual stereotypes. I sent the book to my dad, who got me started fly fishing over fifty years ago.
Awesome! I'd love to hear if your dad liked the book as well. ~Michelle Cummings
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I think it was a good addition to the book. Its an unusual past-time I think. It was nice they released them too instead of just kill.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 11:43 What did you all think of the role fly fishing plays in this book? Of course, it would be a very different book if it weren't there, however, I am wondering if others like or dislike when an author goes into great detail about some activity you know almost nothing about and build a story around it? Do you love it, hate it, or does it just depend? How about with this book? Do you love, hate, or feel ambivalent about that part of the story and why?

Normally, one of my favorite things is to read a book where I learn a lot of details about something I have never known much about or done before, surrounded by a great story. An example of this is a mystery I read that revolved around glass-blowing. I read it over and over. It was a good mystery and I learned something. For me, as a vegetarian, I found myself strangely distressed to read about killing another creature as a sport. I say strangely because I have never had this kind of reluctance to read a book that described something that is otherwise largely socially accepted as a pass time.
I had loved fly fishing way back when I was in the Philippines. I understand your empathy for creatures but fishes are allowed to eat. People could not just be contented with veggies and wheat. Meat is a great source of protein, iron, and vitamin B which the human body needs.
Isabelleva
Currently Reading: The Fountainhead
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelleva.html
Latest Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

Post by Isabelleva »

I like when women are portrayed doing "masculine" things, such as fishing. I think it is fantastic that the girls do fly fishing as their way of meditation.

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”