Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Use this forum to discuss the February 2018 Book of the Month, "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Random Ways the Characters Became Friends

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I found slightly weird how easily accepted Melody was. When they met her, the four women kept laughing at her, made fun of her tattoos, judged her work, and questioned her about what she did. Granted, they were super "nice" to her and helped her, but they were also kind of judgemental and pushy. And when Rose was giving lessons to her, she was way too pushy about her name. If I was Melody, I would have been beyond uncomfortable with women that openly question the choices I make on my own body, try to touch my body decorations just because they find them awkward and frown upon me because I decide to take nudes. Their instant liking of one another and Melody's acceptance to stay the night (and even spend a few days there) didn't seem realistic to me.
Radhika_puri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-puri.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Radhika_puri »

Yes, it was too quick but sometimes it happens. One such incident happens to me. I was gone for an entrance exam and I don't know anyone there and in between we had 2 hours break so one unknown girl became a good friend of mine. We don't know each other but still, we did contribution and eat together. Do all the things besties do. I think ssmetimes friendship with a complete stranger is much easier than someone we have known.
eve777
Favorite Book: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Korean Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve777.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by eve777 »

Well, most people might find it odd to see how Melody fit right in with the group but I don't. I have had an experience with a free-spirited young lady...once you show how non-judgmental you are towards them, they feel at home. Most times all they need is love and acceptance and that's what Rose and the other ladies gave Melody despite the awkwardness of their first encounter.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

It may feel unrealistic to have several instances of immediate friendship in just one book, and on top of that all of the women also connect with each other. But I do have friends that I met in a completely random situation. One example being friends with a woman thanks to my kids asking to pet her dog in a park in a village where neither one of us lives. So I find it relatable.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I think that friendship can sometimes start spontaneously and most of those women seemed to be have been friends for some time. Melody did not seem like the shy or wary sort of person who takes time to know people - she met them taking photos while naked, so I think her character was the sort of person who would not to easily start up a friendship without being shy or hesirant
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
QiA
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qia.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by QiA »

bookowlie wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 12:05 The main characters in this story became friends from random meetings. With one exception, their first meetings had nothing to do with fly fishing. I didn't think it was realistic that so many of the characters would meet and become "instant" friends due to random meetings. Still, I guess people sometimes will meet someone this way and want to become friends with them for various reasons. Give an example of how two of the characters meet and why it might be realistic for them to instantly become friends, given their personalities, the circumstances, etc.
I think serendipity can and does happen - sometimes with speed. I met a fellow artist by chance in an art store - yes, yes, what are the chances of two artists been there at the same time - but we had connected many months ago on Instagram and only had one or two exchanges. Now we are firm friends and do Zoom drawing/chat sessions from different countries. So it's possible!
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

I think the only close friends we make for a long time are the ones who are formed in a quick time.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

Given the fact that a lot of people thought that Michelle went into too much detail with each character's background, I think it was realistic to expect that they would have bonded so quickly to leave room for her to move on with the book.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
kaitlynrobbins
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlynrobbins.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by kaitlynrobbins »

BookishCreature wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 14:04 Some friendships made more sense than others. I could totally understand Sophie and Veronica bonding over a long flight and staying friends afterwards, but I found it really strange that Melody just fit right into the group as if she'd always been there. I don't know how she was that comfortable with four complete strangers.
I felt like Melody was a little uncomfortable with hanging around a group of strangers, but Rose has a way of making people feel comfortable and the one on one time probably helped. And even though she felt uncomfortable, after going on her solo camping trip she actually found that she didn't love being a loner as much which I think is why she stuck around a little longer. But I agree it was a little strange that she initially agreed to stay at the cabin with Rose to fly fish. She doesn't necessarily seem like the type to do that.
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

I suppose it was a little unrealistic that they were all able to become quick pals but I guess that sometimes it happens when you're kindred spirits. :)
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Rose and Sophie's meeting out of the lot seemed more credible. They both showed an interest in fly-fishing prior to meeting one another. I've seen, in reality, relationships form and develop quicker than these ladies' friendships, so the idea isn't exactly implausible.
Doziesixtus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doziesixtus.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Doziesixtus »

Considering that Veronica, Sophie and melody weren't living far from Veronica's husband's restaurant it's highly possible for them to be friends. The other two could easily be introduced to the clique as mutual friends.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Hey, don't you know women are the strangest creatures? :D With no special reason, they can immediately hate someone or can become best buds in a blink. It's just like love at first sight, one look and they realize this girl is on the same wavelength as theirs. For example, two strange girls stumble upon the last lipstick of the store. They can glare at each other for a while, refusing to budge. But then, as they exchange their interests about that lipstick, they will walk out of that store hand in hand, as if they have been friends for years.
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

Very random indeed. And how they got to trust eachother so quickly seemed a bit suspicious. But, i believe in fate and fate draws people close.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

The book reminds of Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. There's a commonality between the five women. I find the age gap a little bit off but at the same time it brings flair to the group.
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo

Return to “Discuss "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings”